Anyone build a chinese carbon hardtail with a mid drive?

Manbeer

1 kW
I was looking with curiosity at some of these open mold Chinese frames like the BXT and tideace. A lot of them have pressfit bottom brackets but it appears that a few still have threaded BSA cups.

I was wondering how these things hold up to the thrashing that some thing like a BBSHD or cyclone mini would give? I see a lot of threads on Chinese carbon frames but they are all the frames which are specifically meant for E bikes And use the bafang ultra platform of whatever. I'm more interested in a traditional minimalist build But can't seem to find any threads were people have done that with these frames

There are a significant amount of negative reviews overall but an overwhelming amount of positive reviews. My main concern would be the aluminum inserts separating in the bottom bracket shell and also the rear stays holding up with upwards of a kilowatt

have any of you had any experience with anything similar?

I picked one up a few years ago for a Benfang O2 not hd. It was supposed to be a 27.5 but it was only a 26 inch that I was sent. The Benfang did fit, as I know some don’t due to the larger bottom bracket area needed for extra strengthening that’s typical of carbon frames. It’s from AliExpress. Will let it go cheap if you’re interested! I went on to other things so that frame didn’t go any further than a test fit. In my opinion with carbon and aluminum frames is you may be replacing these frames in a crash as it’s most likely a one shot deal as opposed to a steel framed bike. Don’t crash and you should be good.

actually, i may be interested depending on what parts i can rustle up to complete it. i have most of what i would need for a 29er, but a lot of my 26 inch stuff is vintage so not so compatible with todays standards. i collect 90's mountain bikes but most of the forks i have are short travel, straight steerer etc and the wheels are for 100x9mm and 135mm dropouts.

Manbeer said:
actually, i may be interested...

It’s a medium and was $211 new from my purchase records from AliExpress. It was stored outside and has some minor scratches. It’s super light and strong, putting my weight on it end to end and pushing (flexing) the rear inward etc. I’ll look for the headset bearings and other goodies that came with the frame. I have some wheels and a fork too. Moving away from 26 if not fat.

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 471
thanks for the pics, that most definitely looks like a fun, light foundation for a build! let me know what you are looking to get and as long as shipping is not too crazy i think i would be up for it. Since it looks like normal dropouts I should be OK on wheels, if you have some forks laying around that you're interested in selling I definitely may be interested in purchasing :)

Hey sorry about the delay getting back to you. Here are the pictures of the forks I can give up. Both never ridden. They were in my attic not outside like the frame. One is a basic jump fork 1 1/8” straight steerer, compression adjustable but no rebound, it’s for a 26” tire. Has adapter on it for 1 1/2” which the frame is. The other is a manitou and is 1 1/2” taper. It is for 27.5” if that matters. It has Schrader valve for air/sag/height adjustment, compression adj w/lockout, top of fork and rebound adj at the bottom. I have used a heat gun and acetone to remove the stickers from both forks. I found the headset bearings for the carbon frame. I’m thinking $80 for the frame. $50 for the jump fork or $125 for the manitou fork. The manitou is the type where the upper brace is behind the fork sanctions if you can’t tell from the pictures. Prices don’t come include shipping. The best part is you know a bs02 will fit as I had one mounted.

Attachments

• B83E168D-CB29-4157-BE31-6162C0E73527.jpeg
    B83E168D-CB29-4157-BE31-6162C0E73527.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 362
  • 3894EDDC-FD0E-4594-ACD0-7E58DEE748EE.jpeg
    3894EDDC-FD0E-4594-ACD0-7E58DEE748EE.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 362
  • 546D3AFE-02E7-4283-9DDB-B5A43FB15C63.jpeg
    546D3AFE-02E7-4283-9DDB-B5A43FB15C63.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 362
  • 21222EF8-9655-4993-8ED9-40E3B3F0CA56.jpeg
    21222EF8-9655-4993-8ED9-40E3B3F0CA56.jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 362
definitely interested in the frame, definitely maybe in the Manitou fork but the axle to crown may place the front a bit higher than im looking to go if its the Markhor since it was sized for anywhere up to a 29 iirc and my wife is short. let me toss that around in my head for a bit. I will def take the frame though. if i cant find a shorter fork in my stash ill go for that as well

Back