Aprilia Enjoy

For any US guys interested there is one in CO on Craigslist. It is the city model. I wasn't aware it made it to the US but anyway here is the link. And no it's not mine although I did think to go look at it at minimum.at $75 im sure an ES member would enjoy rebuilding it to proper specs.

http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/4721265158.html

Hello everyone , I have a aprilia enjoy and have replaced the controller and added a throttle it all works

A general question , what is the easiest best cost efficient battery repack for the Aprilia enjoy, my original is good for 300metres, and Id like it to fit in the old compartment with a mod or two.
What wont be a pain in but charging
Happy to do install myself .
Cheers ,

Read back through the early pages of this thread.
You will find several options for replacement battery ideas, most based on Hobby King RC LiPo packs or 18650 cells.
It depends on what voltage you want to run to suit your controller.
24v, 30v, 40v, and more , have all been run with success .

30v will be good,
Batteries that I can plug in and charge ,
What has become the best standard
I've read all the posts, Tony might answer as he's tried several types of configurations

cruzr944 said:
What has become the best standard
You need to define "best" in your view ?
Best for safety ?
Best for cost ?
Best for value ?
Best for weight ?
Best for long life ?
Best for capacity ?
Best for simplicity...buy complete pack and fit ?

You cannot have them all at once !
And everyone's priorities are different.

But as a starter, one of the simplest and cheapest options, is to use the HK RCLipo packs
8S, 2P of the 5Ahr , 20C cells (4x 4S packs) would give you a light , cheap, replacement 30 volt pack with minimal connections to do.

Hillhater said:
cruzr944 said:
But as a starter, one of the simplest and cheapest options, is to use the HK RCLipo packs
8S, 2P of the 5Ahr , 20C cells (4x 4S packs) would give you a light , cheap, replacement 30 volt pack with minimal connections to do.

I am currently using 6x 4s packs (the hard case packs)

http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/store/__15521__Turnigy_5000mAh_4S1P_14_8v_20C_Hardcase_Pack.html

They are cheap and tough in their cases.The 6 fit into the modified original battery case nicelyI bought a balance board and made up all the connectors.I balance/charge them all in one go.I know that I don't have to balance them every time but it is easy to do it and I figure the pack should last a while.
I have got the original battery pack set up so it is only 4 screws to open it (I use a cordless screwdriver to do this quickly ).Then i connect all the balance cables (4s) I bought and then connect the other cables I made up connectors for the main battery wires and put in onto the Turnigy charger on balanche/ charge and it takes about 4 hours or thereabouts depending on how much I have used the battery on the previous ride.

It sounds like a hassle but only takes me about 5 minutes to get in set up

I used to have the 3x 8s and that easier to connect but cost more dollars.

City model for sale in QLD. Not working,so good for someone who wants to modify it. Starting price is only $50.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/APRILIA-ELECTRIC-PUSHBIKE-PARTS-ONLY-NOT-RUNNING-/121551220918?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item1c4d0470b6

I ended up buying the motor and a few bit and pieces off it.

Tony.

Geez,it has been quite around here for a while now.
I have a problem that my learned friends on here will surely solve for me.
I recently rode one of the Aprilias up my enormous hill and it ceased to work just as I got to the top.This is one of the bikes that I have converted over to the YK31C etc.As I have mentioned earlier my connections are obviously not great and I think this is the root of the problem. I can ride these things without a problem day after day for 40 klms a go and no issues BUT as soon as I ride up this hill and put them under extreme load I fry those connections.

I had bought an Aprilia off a guy in Sydney who had wired the bike up properly so this time I thought it is time to progress and check out how he had done it and copy him .I bought the correct connectors and a proper crimping tool.After much swearing and cursing at the crimping tool that didn't have any instructions with it,I got the job done.I also decided to get rid of the twist throttle and go to a thumb throttle like the bike I was copying.

I put both controllers back in place and tried it out with an old 24 volt NMH battery I had on the bench. It worked! Yipee!

Looking forward to my ride nest morning,I put in the usual battery that I use, the 6 x 4s lipo pack making up 32 volts charged up.
The bloody thing flashed for a second on the voltmeter and NOTHING!
I then put the battery pack into the bike I copied and the same thing happened???

Then I put it into 2 other Aprilias I have and they worked fine as per usual ,so it wasn't the battery.

I then tried the 24 volt battery again and that worked in both bikes as does a 37 volt battery I use in other bikes.

I am confused now.

Could it be the wires on the new throttle I installed? although that doesn't explain why the bike I copied isnn't working.

Anyway the colours on the throttle connector are red/black/white and the wires that are not being used from the throttle are green/yellow/brown.The throttle connector is plugged into the controllers red/black/blue connector.

The only other thing that I did was to splice into the red and black of the throttle wires to feed my voltmeter.

I am sure someone will point me in the right direction

Cheers,
Tony.

I ended up finding the culprit.All that was wrong was the positive tab on the end of the 32v lipo battery pack was depressed and not contacting with the electrical block on the bike.It was obviously making contact with 2 of my bikes but not the other 2.It only took a second to bend the tab back a bit to get it make contact.It is a wonder I didn't notice this when I put the voltmeter on the tabs.
Anyway all is well that ends well.This was doing my head in,I almost started to believe I had a virus passing from one bike to another.LOL.

Well yes, it has been quiet around here !
I have moved house twice in the past year , with all the packing, painting, sorting , unpacking , etc etc that involves.
But back to the point,
APRILIA STOLEN !..... :evil:
I guess it's almost inevitable if you live in a city like Sydney, but with a unique bike like a modified Aprilia it is more than a little irritating.
Some chancer, must have seen it in my garage and waited until I was not looking to sneak in whilst the door was up, and nick the bike.
Fortunately (?) they were not smart enough to notice the LiPo battery was not in the bike, so they are going to be doing a lot of pedalling :lol:
So, if anyone sees an Aprilia for sale without a battery,...or hears of anyone looking for a suitable battery,... Let me know.

Oh, ...and if anyone knows of a good condition one I can buy, .... :wink:

G'day HH,

Sorry to hear that mate. There was one just last week for sale on gumtree.It was the same model as yours (Racing)but it looked to be in roughish condition.It was at Strathfield and was going for $75.I offered to buy it if it didn't sell but it has gone off gumtree so I presume it sold.He said it had a battery but wasn't taking a charge.I could see in the pics that there was a battery case so not your bike.

I know of another guy at Collaroy who might want to sell his Racing model.He had it for sale last year for $400 and it was in excellent condition with the Chinese controller and throttle etc fitted.

Let me know ,I think I have still got his details.

Cheers,
Tony.

Hi Tony.
The Gtree one couldn't have been mine since mine only walked this Thursday PM.
One local cyclist reported a ute crusing the local Manly area the same day with a heap of bikes in the back ?
I'm hoping it will turn up ditched somewhere once the goons realise it's a bitch to pedal without power and it doesn't run with out a $500 battery ! :lol:
But if not, the Collaroy contact would be handy ( it's about 3 k away !) :wink:

Oh hell. I just read this. Swamped with work but it sounds like its time to offer upgrades on fleabay and catch the cunning stunts.

Hey guys,

That was me that purchased the cheap one on gumtree.

Firstly thank you all for this awesome info. And thanks to everyone I've already spoken with :)

If anyone has a spare controller or any other lipo conversion parts etc please let me know.

I should have the nimh batteries, stock brakes and controller available in a couple of weeks if anyone wants them? FOR FREE :D Located in Sydney

Cheers
James

Put the stock controller on ebay, they sell for a lot.

Keep the Nimh, make cool projects. Saft is pretty high end.

Hey guys,

So been looking at this forum for months and spoken to a few of you.

Firstly thanks for this epic forum and all your help it's a very nice community..

I've got an Aprilia race and changed the controller to a 31v ish cut off Chinese one, thumb throttle and found a super cheap bottle battery that I very quickly put together.

I got about 50 seconds of blissful ebike power then it cut out.

Battery doesn't charge properly any more but still shows 41v on MM....

18650 1c batteries in the case by the looks of it.. Have i fried the battery? Bms?

Any suggestions or just invest in some lipos already?

Any advice is appreciated..

Sorry about the odd typing im on my phone and it wigs out on this forum

Cheers James

Have you checked:
1. the charger fuses and confirmed you have ouput from the charger?
2. the charge port input fuse on the battery?
3. where are you measuring 41V?
4. What is the current and power rating on your brushed controller?

The bottle battery BMS is likely rated for 2C max and suited to a 250W brushless motor and may not be rated for the high current draw this brushed motor requires.

Yeah I think I have fried the battery.. It won't charge anymore. I Get a brief hint of power when flick the power switch on the battery but then nothing...

I had the battery apart a few weeks ago and don't remember seeing a fuse? Will pull it apart again and have another look.

Thanks for the tips!

Cheers
James

Not all batteries have fuses, some just rely on the BMS to protect against shorts.

Back