Are BMS wires junky??

Dunlop

10 W
Somewhere I read that the wires/ribbon connectors that come with BMS's are junk, and should be replaced with silicone wires?? True or False??

So I purchased an ANT 20s BMS.... before going through the work of wiring, and then completely shrink wrapping the battery (where I will not be able to see wire deterioration) I thought I would see if anyone could confirm or deny this??? I was unable to find anything using the search function :confused:

Thank you for any responses...
Keith

Silicone wire insulation will need to be protected from pressure, because it can be pressed apart and the insulation split. (which isn't evident when the pressure is removed, as it "heals" the cut visually, though it is still present, so you can have a short but not be able to see where once you take something apart).

Teflon wire insulation flows under pressure and can crack from aging, but at least these are visible even after disassembly to check for cause of failure.

Both the above are more resistant to heat deformations, but balance / sense wires shouldn't even get warm in a correctly built/designed pack. The below types of insulation are more vulnerable to heat deformations, but shouldn't be exposed to that if it's all built right to start with. You can also prevent pressure damage/deformation by building the pack and routing the wires so that is never applied to any wires.

Regular plastic types of insulation can also be crushed by pressure, but their pressure deformations don't usually result in pushing the insulation away from the wire the way the other two do. Their heat deformations can, however.

There are covers (sleeves) you can use on wires to protect them, like the stuff they use inside motors on phase wires, etc. fiberglass sleeving for wires - Google Search

If you replace the wires to the BMS, you'll need the correct crimping tool for the contacts used in your specific BMS's connector(s), and learn how to use that tool with the new contacts you'll need to buy to fit that connector, so that you can correctly crimp the new wires into new contacts to replace the ones you'll be removing from the connector shell (which you may also have to replace if it doesn't have removable contacts).

Last edited:
I never had a problem like wire break. Just use the proper 24g connectors and you are fine. I have installed and sold, installed, like ten without a problem. Its not the worst wire out there.. Not the best, but not the worst.

Just a thought. Sometimes a light thin wire is better in this application in that if it does short, it will burn/fuse quickly and do less harm. I have used thin fibreglass sleeving that was useful as some of the balance wires had to cross over adjacent nickle strips.

Back