AUS Melbourne spring group ride get together???

Awesome map Kep - owe you a beer.
Hopefully 555 watt hours gets me back to the carpark ;)

It'll be a Code10 convoy!

Just checked the map, only about 7km each way. Might throw a 10s booster backpack in for the flat commute sections and see if I can bust a ring gear on the BPM at 15s 40A when offroad :mrgreen:

Samd said:
only about 7km each way
I'll be able to use full throttle the whole way at that distance. :D

rp3 said:
I'll be able to use full throttle the whole way at that distance. :D

The problem with full-throttle is following him up the vertical surfaces he tends to find on group rides. :mrgreen:

I made a little joke there...

Okay. Count me in. I'll bring my Bafang BPM hardtail this time.

Sam. Are you driving there? Any chance of a lift?

No sweat if you can't. Don't want to disturb your beauty sleep. But I would prefer to burn the watt-hours there, rather than on the 17km round trip from home to the ride.

Ok, weather looks a bit marginal with a shower or 2 forecast for the morning but with a clear afternoon. I am a bit concerned how muddy the tracks are going to be after all the rain we have had and think we may need to spend more time on made paths. Bit of suck it and see here. A friend of mine who rides these tracks all the time suggested that we could follow the track further around to join the Mullum Mullum trail around to Car Race Hill Templestowe.

http://www.manningham.vic.gov.au/maccwr/_assets/main/lib90022/02 - pdf files/carracehill.pdf

There is a nice coffee shop located there together with some great tracks to ride including what was once Australia's steepest sealed road with a gradient of 1 in 2.5. The road is still there as a walking track or should I say ebike torture track :twisted:

Range might test a few bikes. I would say about 15km each way plus what you burn hooning around in the dirt.

Let me know what people think. This will be a ripper of ride. Don't miss out on this one.

Sam, pack some extra LiPo, I will be. :)

Attachments

• Hillclimb.jpg
    Hillclimb.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 3,332
  • Hillclimb2.jpg
    Hillclimb2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 3,332
  • Sunday ride3.jpg
    Sunday ride3.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 3,332
I'm in! Car seats have been removed to squeeze the Fighter in the back.
The only thing I think I'll miss is the lack of mudguards. :shock:

Distance should be ok for me, I did 35kms on the Fighter last weekend and only used 10Ah.

Kepler said:
Australia's steepest sealed road with a gradient of 1 in 2.5. The road is still there as a walking track or should I say ebike torture track :twisted:
The hill climb is piss easy :lol:
[youtube]DX9n2sUZKb4[/youtube]

Might see you on Sunday

Lol, even looks steep in the video. That looked like John K on the Bomber. Will be interesting to see how the little geared Bafangs cope.

Hope to see you there. Make sure you bring your fixie ok. I want to see you tackle that hill with a single speeder :p

rp3 said:
I'm in! Car seats have been removed to squeeze the Fighter in the back.
The only thing I think I'll miss is the lack of mudguards. :shock:

Distance should be ok for me, I did 35kms on the Fighter last weekend and only used 10Ah.

Good work rp3. Thats one way to transport your bike :) See you there

For anyone running late that wants to catch up, you can see where we are in the link below. You don't need the app to view, it works in any browser. It'll start working just before 10am.
http://glympse.com/!esmelb?utm_source=group_invite&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=inviteA&utm_content=viewlink

Neat app!
I should be able to cobble up a 10s 20Ahr transit backpack John. :)

I'm heeding your advice. Down at the LBS buying mudguards...

Samd said:
Down at the LBS buying mudguards...
I've slapped some very unstealthy mud protection on, but I'm quite sure I'm going home covered! :D

Despite the overnight rain it seems to have cleared up nicely here in Ballarat so I'm going to drive on over and see what we can get up to...

Looks like clearing uo nicely. I feel some duct tape fender enhancements coming on though ;)

Radar looks good. All the showers should have passed by about 9.00am by the looks of things. Even the remaining stuff looks like it should miss where we are riding. Its going to a be a mud fest though if you plan venture off road. Should be fun :)

Packed and ready to go. (well not really. photo was from the last trip :) )

Attachments

• IMG_2337.jpg
    IMG_2337.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 3,252
So much fun on the single tracks! Had great fun on the Fighter, only ended up using 12Ah.
Was good to put faces to names. :D

I'll organise one out this way in the next month or so. ;)

Did anyone get a pic of full-throttle's broken mid drive? :mrgreen:

Can't believe I was going as fast as I could and was struggling to keep up with him and he was riding unpowered! :shock:

Really enjoyed the ride today with a great mix of path and single track to challenge both man and machine. 11 riders all together with 4 Stealth Fighters, 5 Geared hub home builds, 1 crazy man man on a 9C powered recumbent trike :p and one GNC mid drive.

Two power challenges were had on the ride. First one being the Big Dipper and the second being the templestowe hill climb. The Templestowe hill climb needs to be seen to appreciate just how steep it is, especially the top section. I was having trouble keeping the front wheel down towards the top but putting my weight over the front wheel to keep it down then ended up with wheel spin (on dry bitumen :shock: ) Very pleased to make it up on the little Bafang powered Fighter.

30km in total and 800 Whrs used. Who said geared motors were economical :)

I only got a few pics at the very start before everyone was there. There was at least a couple of gopro's running, hopefully some video will be coming... ;)

Attachments

• 20130922_102444.jpg
    20130922_102444.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 3,258
  • 20130922_102504.jpg
    20130922_102504.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 3,258
  • 20130922_102510.jpg
    20130922_102510.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 3,258
  • 20130922_102521.jpg
    20130922_102521.jpg