Aussie Role Call

Hi all, Sean, 29, Central Qld, e-bike virgin, no build as of yet but am gleaning as much info as i can in order to make my first something that i can be proud of. Good to see so many more Aussies on here.

G'day Samd & jingles98...welcome to ES jingles98 ;) Theres quite alot of Aussies on the forum
scattered across the country, funnily enough i think us West Aussies might be leading
the membership count? :p Combined East Coast states, the Easterners have it, individually
though WA has a fair whack of members .... Good to see all Aussies on the boards
though, more the merrior...

re: the Melbourn Group ride, all the best to those going i'm sure you will have a blast
tiz fun hooning about with other e-bikers ;)

KiM

p.s RIDE THIS AFTERNOON I know its extremely short notice, but i am riding this arvo in the hill with Richard and Matt.P any other Yocals wanna come along your more than welcome, meeting at my plac 3-3.30PM ride
will be approx 20-25km of hills riding with a stop in at the Kala Hotel for a quick drink and chat... so 750Wh worth of battery or above is desireable...Any interested parties PM me for my addy..

G'day everyone,

I'm Eddy, never seen an e-bike in real life, and i live in Canberra. The only motorised bike i had ever seen was some guy on a petrol powered one, flying past work, and it was pretty noisy, and blowing heaps of smoke.

I ride my bike to work every chance i can, but really hate the riding into a strong head wind. There are also some days where i just dont feel like cracking a sweat.

I used to be an electrician years ago, (forgot a lot of the motor thoery, but am sure it will come back to me) so even for the hobby factor, I cant wait to build myself an e-bike.

I started my first thread the other night, and am researching what to buy. I think i am nearly there for my first crack at it. Here is a link to the thread.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34224

Anyway, glad to meet you all, and thanks in advance for all the knowledge you have all shared throughout this forum. I have read a fair bit now, but have a long way to go. Hope to keep up the chat with you all and share my experience in my future builds....

Cheers,

Ed.

Hey guys, I'm Andrew, I'm 27 and from Adelaide. I've been mildly interested in ebikes for a while but considered them fairly expensive. I did end up buying one of those chinese foldable ebikes for $1000, but quickly returned it as it was rubbish (and I'm not even talking about being limited to 25km/h - the whole thing was poor quality).

But I no longer think $1000 is expensive for a decent kit, I've dusted off my hardtail from years back and it is still in good condition, so I'll probably start there.

Why am I interested in ebikes? I have been suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for years (tried many things to treat it to no avail). For those that don't know, CFS is basically an immune dysfunction syndrome, where the body produces an exaggerated inflammatory response for days even after moderate (mild for many of you young fit guys) activity. I am hopeful about the 'new' medical treatments being researched, eg This recent double blind RCT (link), but those sort of treatments aren't available in Australia yet.

Anyway, biking is one of the things I miss most. I was relatively fit when I was younger and I miss going on long rides. I also miss riding off road.

Hyena's ebike kits have definitely piqued my interest so now it is just a matter of sorting out the details.

Hi, Andy from perth. I have a broken Mac powered bike- anyone in perth have a motor/controller tester I could borrow or come round with my bike and use?

andynogo said:
Hi, Andy from perth. I have a broken Mac powered bike- anyone in perth have a motor/controller tester I could borrow or come round with my bike and use?

Yup i do... whats it not doing exactly? motor turn at all? I'm up in Lesmurdie myself
prolly 20 minutes drive from Bassendean... Welcome to drop round with the bike
can have a looksee at her...

KiM

Hey Kim, I may well take you up on that offer! I've prolly cooked it. 320 wind rear Mac motor with a 48v 40a controller. I was running it at 60v (15s) and at times it was seeing 55a on takeoff. Riding it for 15minutes or so at a steady 50-55kmh then it started cutting out on takeoff when amps were high. I'd roll throttle off then back on again very gently but it got steadily worse over a minute or so then it stopped working altogether.

Now it doesn't even attempt to turn. Resting amps are up a tiny bit from 0.03 to 0.06. I've checked all connections and they look fine. Only just bought the bike home tonight so will check it out on boxing day.

Merry Christmas all my fellow nerds/nutty professors!

Hi to all Aussie e-bikers out there in the Land of Oz. I am a total newbie to e-bikes and this web site has an over whelming amount of information and sometimes I think my head will explode. I am Scott and live in sunny hot Mackay QLD. The reason for looking in to an e-bike is it would be so cool and our family only has one car. The best thing is I am starting from scratch. I have no bike but am eying one off. In my option it must be a full suspension bike. At this point of the build it must be a rear hub motor with Lipo4 batteries, what type and brand I have known idea. The whole setup must do at least 60 kph. The bike will be an on and off roader.

Talk to Jay (Hyena). Word.

Perthite first post for 2012 bump. Celebrating chinese year of the e-Dragon bike.

There's a group ride tomorrow Gold Coast, and Brisbane next weekend.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=35316

just thought i'd pipe in and make myself known... I've been on ES for about a year now but only just now found this thread. So heya to the fellow aussies!

For those that dont know I'm in adelaide, studying electrical eng. at Adelaide uni (apropriate huh?). Hopefully we can get a adelaide group ride together at some point, as there seem to be a few of us on 'ere now...

Built my first bike last year, with pretty much no prior knowledge whatsoever on all things ebike related. Built on a norko aline frame, which was great because I could fashion custom dropouts to hold the hub securely, with no worries about axles spinning! Thanks go to Jay for being our little asian-aussie go between for motors!

Started on my second bike a month or so ago (been collecting parts for about 5 months now). Progress is slow due to being a full time student. I'm doing away with hubs for the second (and likely all future builds), as I love riding offroad, somewhere where hubs are not ideally suited... both due to the unsprung weight and the resultant damage to rims etc.

cheers
sc

sn0wchyld said:
Thanks go to Jay for being our little asian-aussie go between for motors!
That's Mr Asia to you :p
(I should point out that I AM an Aussie if the above suggests otherwise)

I'm a bit of an honorary Aussie. I grew up with many, admired them (particularly Mark Richards), and dig their culture. I could so live in Australia. What a beautiful land with great people.

Mark is a Newcastle local - His board store is just down the road from where I work...

Hyena said:
sn0wchyld said:
Thanks go to Jay for being our little asian-aussie go between for motors!
That's Mr Asia to you :p
(I should point out that I AM an Aussie if the above suggests otherwise)

LoL.."Mr HiGHSiDE" more like...speaking of Asia...im off to Bali ToDAY! 11 nights of rooting
drinking sunning swimming and shopping, not necessarily in that order LoL..cyas when i getz back
and into the e-bikes again..

KiM

heathyoung said:
Mark is a Newcastle local - His board store is just down the road from where I work...

I could watch that guy surf all day. Someday I hope to meet him, maybe have a surf. Nobody before or since has a style like that. The wounded gull.

Four years straight he and Cheyne Horan battled for the world title. I always sided with Richards, but Horan was a renegade. The man has style.

I can't imagine how many unridden waves must hit that island. It's hard to imagine a land the size of the USA (if we don't count Alaska) that is completely surrounded by water and has a tenth of our population. Unreal.

Back