Aussie Role Call

MikeFairbanks said:
heathyoung said:
Mark is a Newcastle local - His board store is just down the road from where I work...

I could watch that guy surf all day. Someday I hope to meet him, maybe have a surf. Nobody before or since has a style like that. The wounded gull.

Four years straight he and Cheyne Horan battled for the world title. I always sided with Richards, but Horan was a renegade. The man has style.

I can't imagine how many unridden waves must hit that island. It's hard to imagine a land the size of the USA (if we don't count Alaska) that is completely surrounded by water and has a tenth of our population. Unreal.

even including alaska, americans have an average of about 7cm of coastline per person... Australians by contrast have 113cm! :shock:

Lucky country indeed. You guys scored.

I'd love to meet Rabbit too (Wayne Bartholemew) again. He's really cool. The land of Oz has so much cool stuff going on. Every American surfer dreams of Snapper Rocks and surfing the Gold Coast. And then there's Perth and the Western regions with untamed shoreline and perfect lone waves for miles. I can't even imagine.

One of my old friends (mates, as you say) is Adam Sharpe of Rip Curl (NSW). We used to talk a lot about surfing, and one day he had a bunch of the big wigs to his house (he rented a place in my neighborhood for a year back in 2004-2005 while working here temporarily) for New Year's Eve. What a great time. We talked Australia, and they kept throwing questions at me for fun and I was hitting them back. They couldn't knock off the bale, so-to-speak. I told them, "Look, the reason I know so much about Australia is that pro surfing was so dominated by Aussies throughout the 70s and 80s, and still is to this day."

Before Tommy Curren (California), no American had been world champ on the world tour. He won the title three times (pretty much at the end of the Richards/Rabbit/Townsend era), and ushered in the Americans. Now we do much better (although most of the top surfers in the world are still Aussies), and we have the highest-rated pro surfer in history: Kelly Slater.

I think California will fall into the sea before Aussies beat his 11 world titles. :p

sn0wchyld said:
even including alaska, americans have an average of about 7cm of coastline per person... Australians by contrast have 113cm! :shock:

Yes, but the more accurately you measure the greater the distance - theoretically both coastlines are infinite. However, Australia's coastline would still be greater per person given the same scale of measurements. Although I doubt Cantor applies as the two infinities are of the same kind.

Now that I have made a meandering mess of this post I shall continue about my business... :mrgreen:

Joseph C. said:
Now that I have made a meandering mess of this post I shall continue about my business... :mrgreen:
Don't worry mate, we get it, you're Irish ;)

Finally go around to posting the go kart I put together. I think I mentioned it a while back introducing myself in this thread.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=40631

The original post has been a while but i thought i would join in.

I'm in Adelaide. (had a quick scroll through and didnt see anyone else)

I have two kids gokarts. I like to call them Car Boot Racers as they fit in a car's boot. They start out as 50cc pocket bikes and with a little cutting and welding and a school chair seat they're good to go. We usually just go to a car park or school, throw some cones out, instant racetrack. No one gives us grief as i think they look at it as a toy.
The original is a 900w brushed scooter motor on 24v 16AH Golden Motor Battery Pack. (this has been dying a slow death and now is pretty useless) It usedto do about 25km/h even with me in it. It would snap the kids head back with the 7 year old. Probably going to put 36v lipo through it to just liven it up again.

The other is still on going turnigy 80-85 170kv 15s lipo and Keywin controller. My other posts have shown i have had a lot of probs with the controller but ..... I think its all good to try tomorrow. Cant wait just to see how it goes.

this site is amazing and might a say a little intimidating just how smart everyone is. Thats why i havent commented on posts since joining.

Regards Steve
i stuffed up and put this on Mars Go kart feed also

winchmeup said:
The original post has been a while but i thought i would join in.

I'm in Adelaide. (had a quick scroll through and didnt see anyone else)

I have two kids gokarts. I like to call them Car Boot Racers as they fit in a car's boot. They start out as 50cc pocket bikes and with a little cutting and welding and a school chair seat they're good to go. We usually just go to a car park or school, throw some cones out, instant racetrack. No one gives us grief as i think they look at it as a toy.
The original is a 900w brushed scooter motor on 24v 16AH Golden Motor Battery Pack. (this has been dying a slow death and now is pretty useless) It usedto do about 25km/h even with me in it. It would snap the kids head back with the 7 year old. Probably going to put 36v lipo through it to just liven it up again.

The other is still on going turnigy 80-85 170kv 15s lipo and Keywin controller. My other posts have shown i have had a lot of probs with the controller but ..... I think its all good to try tomorrow. Cant wait just to see how it goes.

this site is amazing and might a say a little intimidating just how smart everyone is. Thats why i havent commented on posts since joining.

Regards Steve
i stuffed up and put this on Mars Go kart feed also

your not allone down south mate!
carts sound like fun... but... have you got a bike going yet? :mrgreen:

and dont be intimidated mate. I was too initially, but there's such a wealth of info and knowledge here, backed with some really helpful people that you'll learn fast and be comfortable before you know it.

Hi snow child

Since my first post for help i have experienced the fantastic willingess of peple wanting and able to help. Hopefully i can help someone one day.

I guess by your name and photo that you are also into snowboarding. I am off tomorrow to Perisher to drop my son there for the seasons work. I'm only going to get one days skiing but hey thats better than nothing. Back on Monday

Hopefull next week i can get this this going.

No bike yet. Will probably take the 900w off the gokart and put it on something afeter i get the second one going.

Cheers Steve

I have a question for my Aussie brothers - where to get 13-28T (7 spd) Shimano freewheel for a reasonable price including shipping and what chain do you recommend for durability?

EMTB.com.au had them I think, and a bog standard shimano hyperglide chain works fine as well. The cheap chinese freewheels shear off the cogs if you are a fat bugger like me who stands hard on the pedals to get away from the lights.

Don't buy Kmart crap, you will regret it :)

I know I should start a build thread, but ehehehemehemehemeheerhghghghghg

This is the bike I'm thinking of using as my base
http://www.marinbikes.com/2010/bicycles/a1f-8xlt_QUAKE_7.8_c1.jpg

any thoughts??

my only one is, where you gonna but the batteries fool :mrgreen:

t3sla said:
I know I should start a build thread, but ehehehemehemehemeheerhghghghghg

This is the bike I'm thinking of using as my base
http://www.marinbikes.com/2010/bicycles/a1f-8xlt_QUAKE_7.8_c1.jpg

any thoughts??

my only one is, where you gonna but the batteries fool :mrgreen:

a1f-8xlt_QUAKE_7.8_c1.jpg

yea great looking bike, but mounting more than about 800wh is gonna be a bit of a pain. hub or mid drive? It looks like it has removable dropouts so making bulletproof torque plates, or even just chainging the wheelbase is gonna be a breeze. if its a hub you could always mount the bats on the handlebars. otherwise that downtube looks like the best spot, both beside and benith assuming ure packs are thin enough to not get hit by the front wheel.

24s 8Ah nano-tech (the shame) think either side of the top of the frame,
H35 heyna shit edition... :p
12fet lyen sensorless (for now)

the drop out situation makes it, sucks that about the lack of mounting options, but I just want a high torque short ride machine that i can top up quickly using 20Ah charges and them smash out some more fun while out.

next project will be a 1kw folder (I have a soft spot for mini folders, think they are super cool for short trips) and the one after that will be a cro motor in a stealth frame

t3sla said:
24s 8Ah nano-tech (the shame) think either side of the top of the frame,
H35 heyna shit edition... :p
12fet lyen sensorless (for now)

the drop out situation makes it, sucks that about the lack of mounting options, but I just want a high torque short ride machine that i can top up quickly using 20Ah charges and them smash out some more fun while out.

next project will be a 1kw folder (I have a soft spot for mini folders, think they are super cool for short trips) and the one after that will be a cro motor in a stealth frame

its hard to tell but the swing arm may come up quite high under full compression, so you may be limited to how much you can fit beside the top tube... if your only having 24s 8ah then you could use two small packs... one on the handlebars and one on the frame. it means a bit more time needs to be spent on the build but should result in a very subtle look. lookin forward to seeing what you come up with!

make sure you get a HT... they hall ass on 24s. and get a sensored controller if you can... not essential but regen breaking is nice when you need a bit more juice.

Here.

Brisbane (west side, Goodna actually).

I'm still reading, learning, researching at the moment.

I have a Giant Yukon that I'd like to convert to commute to work on.

Trying to get my head around the maths of electric motors and batteries.

Hi Rutiger, welcome to E.S. :)

It does take a while to get your head around the battery and motor stuff but you'll get there :wink:

What distance is your commute?

Are you able to charge at work?

What top speed were you hoping for?

Would you prefer a safe chemistry battery / heavier / less power potential or would you be happy with a slightly less safer chemistry with more power potential / lighter / smaller?

Is your commute hilly or reasonably flat? - from memory, Goodna is fairly flat isn't it? (i lived in Brissy up 'till 4yrs ago)

What is your approx weight, are you a smaller or bigger bloke?

Either way, there are a few basics you'll need: good brakes (hydraulic discs preferably), a CA meter (from Ebikes.ca) and torque arms to hold your axle in place (if you go for a hub motor).

There are plenty of helpfull people on E.S so don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. We also know who the good vendors are when it comes time to purchase motor kits etc so that should be an easy choice too. An example is Hyena who is based in Sydney, he could supply you with a whole kit if need be, maybe send him a PM and see what he'd recommend based on the questions i've asked above. I've met him personally and had several sales interactions, he's a champion bloke, funny bugger and knows his stuff :wink:

Paul :D

P.S. don't forget to start a build thread when your ready!

Timma2500 said:
Hi Rutiger, welcome to E.S. :)

It does take a while to get your head around the battery and motor stuff but you'll get there :wink:

Thanks. I'm reasonably maths/science minded and quiet technical, so I should be able to get my head around it. :D

Timma2500 said:
What distance is your commute?

Are you able to charge at work?

What top speed were you hoping for?

Would you prefer a safe chemistry battery / heavier / less power potential or would you be happy with a slightly less safer chemistry with more power potential / lighter / smaller?

Is your commute hilly or reasonably flat? - from memory, Goodna is fairly flat isn't it? (i lived in Brissy up 'till 4yrs ago)

What is your approx weight, are you a smaller or bigger bloke?

Commute distance is about 30km, give or take 1km.

Yes, I can charge at work.

Top speed I'm not really worried about, but I would like to try to make the trip in about 1hr 15m.
Although, I am aware that not running the motor and batteries flat out will make for a more efficient use of energy, so maybe a top speed of 40kph would allow me to cruise on 25-30-35kph fairly easily?

I don't mind whether I use LiPo or LiFePo4. If one is cheaper and lighter and allows me to go faster and further for the same size, I'll choose that, even if it's more likely to explode. ;p

Goodna is sort of on the side of a big hill. The final climb from the bike path to my place (based on GPS data) is about 80m over 2km. And that's in the last 2.5km of the ride home. I have a GPS track of a train ride home and goes up and down about 4 times. The final hill is by far the biggest.

I'm a bit under 80kg clothed.

Timma2500 said:
Either way, there are a few basics you'll need: good brakes (hydraulic discs preferably), a CA meter (from Ebikes.ca) and torque arms to hold your axle in place (if you go for a hub motor).

There are plenty of helpfull people on E.S so don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. We also know who the good vendors are when it comes time to purchase motor kits etc so that should be an easy choice too. An example is Hyena who is based in Sydney, he could supply you with a whole kit if need be, maybe send him a PM and see what he'd recommend based on the questions i've asked above. I've met him personally and had several sales interactions, he's a champion bloke, funny bugger and knows his stuff :wink:

Paul :D

P.S. don't forget to start a build thread when your ready!

Thanks again. :D

700 watt hours would allow you to make the trip while cruising at around 40 km/h.

I live in an apartment and charge in my living room, so I'm not willing to take the risk with lipo.(I have an A123 triangle battery from Paul/Cellman, but they aren't available anymore). You can still get the triangle bags from FalconEV.

Be sure to use proper protection if you use lipo: http://www.methtek.com/category/battery-protection/

I am a big fan of the Mac motors for commuting, but Cellman also sells the MXUS motors with fast windings fairly cheaply:
http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=54
(the 370rpm is very similar to the 9C 2806)

That or an 8T MAC motor (similar to BMC v2 Speed on calculator) will give excellent range and performance on 16S (16 cells in series) 12 AH Lipo (or LiFe).

http://www.ebikes.ca/simulator/

Back