Aussie Role Call

Sorry mate, i wasn't sure just how much research you'd done but you're onto it already! :)

If i were you, i'd go for a geared Mac 10 or 12turn (26" mtb wheel) with a 12fet controller on 12s lipo. Running them on 12s opens up easy charging options such as the Hyperion balancing charger, keeps the weight down by running a smaller battery or gives you the option of running a larger capacity pack with minimal weight addition (10ah vs 15ah) and packaging a smaller battery on a bike is always easier.

My girlfriend's bike runs the 8turn version in a 24" mtb wheel on 12s lipo and i like it, its torquey and still has plenty of top end speed on the 3rd speed switch (about 45 - 50kph from memory). Its also physically smaller and lighter than the larger HT and HS Crystalyte motors.

Cell_Man on this forum sells the Macs, great bloke and really good customer service.

Paul :D

EDIT: Haha, Architectonic got in as i was typing! I was thinking the 12t Mac might be better suited to your speed requirements whilst giving strong torque for the hills, esp the last one on your way home. The 8t would be good too but give you alot more top speed at the expense of torque. Choices choices choices!
Edited again to put in the correct turn count for my missus's bike motor, der....

Thank you both for all the info. I have a bunch of questions, but I'll try and find the answers myself.
I've done heaps of reading on LiFePo batteries, but think I'll go with LiPo instead, so I need to read about them for ebikes instead.
I also need to look more into the motors, because most of the questions I have relate to suggestions about the motors and turns and controllers with fets and whatnot. ;p

Timma2500 said:
The 8t would be good too but give you alot more top speed at the expense of torque.

The 8T is fine, you just have to pedal a bit on extremely steep (25%+) grades. He wants a little bit of extra speed, he just doesn't know it yet. :wink:

I didn't realise about the configuration needed for the good balancing charger (which if I was doing lipo, I'd prefer for the safety aspect). 12S would probably be fine as you say.

I'd get the 8T if I was running 12S Lipo and was riding on the street... For mountain biking, I'd get the 10T or 12T though (with a spare clutch and keyway).

Architectonic said:
The 8T is fine, you just have to pedal a bit on extremely steep (25%+) grades. He wants a little bit of extra speed, he just doesn't know it yet. :wink:

Haha, true. Except I do know it, I'm just trying not to get carried away. 8)

I was leaning more towards 10T just so it's not labouring up the hill, which may only be 10%, but is 2km long.

Rutiger said:
Can anyone tell what motor this is?
http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/e-bike-conversion-kits/e-bike-hub-motors/1000w-v2-rear.html

Turns out it is a Cohnis motor.

After riding a geared hub and direct drive last weekend, I'll definitely be going for one of those instead of a direct drive.
I think it was roughly similar to a Mac 10t, which sat on about 42-43kph unassisted.

There was definitely EV Grin around, I just didn't want to look like a kid in front of the bike's owner. :D

Rutiger said:
Rutiger said:
Can anyone tell what motor this is?
http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/e-bike-conversion-kits/e-bike-hub-motors/1000w-v2-rear.html

Turns out it is a Cohnis motor.

After riding a geared hub and direct drive last weekend, I'll definitely be going for one of those instead of a direct drive.
I think it was roughly similar to a Mac 10t, which sat on about 42-43kph unassisted.

There was definitely EV Grin around, I just didn't want to look like a kid in front of the bike's owner. :D

I think winkinatcha (joe) has some of these locally

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=19652

PM him

Hi Im Chris I live in Newcastle NSW. I have been in here a bit but never noticed this thread before.

Bikes.

First build Giant 700c bike with 500w Cyclone direct drive, top speed about 45-50km/h assisted. cruises at 35- 40.

250W Mountain bike (made my brother ridden for a couple of months and forgotten about by him) <- That doesn't count because its so crappy and rusting.

Used to use the Sachs and Rotary motorised bike kits for 10 years before eBikes came along if you removed the speed limiting governors they went like a 1000w motor but were slow. max 40 km/h

Architectonic said:
Is it ethical to sign up on Strava with a name like "Itselectric" and take out all the records? LOL
If you are an Australian in this thread its probably against the law unless you can apply a tax to it..

Happy Australia Day (tomorrow)

Ride your bike and drink plenty of carbs
beer5.gif

Here's something to cheer you up
[youtube]h7y6iE0aB5s[/youtube]

Thanks for the laughs fella's, have a great day!

@rodney, it'll be a long ride to freo n back or are fireworks still happening in city?
anyway enjoy

btw I have not so electric Aussie iron classic for sale so if anyone is interested?

around 4g

wb.jpg

Rodney64 said:
Yes fireworks in the city.
HZ 6 or 8

mate, that would be a hoot, cant be certain but would like to join you, still have your ph number,

I can still remember the very first city sky show from the 80's rode in on motorbikes between traffic as you do and having a copper flag me down only to keep going on my merry way,
proves that bikes rule

car is wb straight blue 202 single stromberg carb 12 port head all aussie 4 [or m210r20gb], economical

Thought I'd bump this thread for the Aussies.

I'm Martin in Perth.
Converted my Giant AC on the long weekend with a GNG kit.
Really happy with it so far - has made my 16k round trip commute a laugh this week.

Displaying a huge grin every time I open the throttle and give it some with the pedals. :twisted:

Welcome again and well done on the quick build =D
Mine is still sitting waiting for BB to be screwed in (tool that fits is for brakes with axle alignment shaft, hitting the BB crankshaft).

If you're free take your new Giant-AC-GNG to this on Sunday:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47013

Hi guys. Just joined the forum after getting pretty keen on an electric setup for myself. There is heaps of excellent info on this site.

m4am4a said:
Hi guys. Just joined the forum after getting pretty keen on an electric setup for myself. There is heaps of excellent info on this site.
Welcome to the forum and I hope you like it, they are a great bunch of people here.

Howdy

I have just started posting on the ES, as I am in the middle of my first build, can be slow progress when you live in Perth (Freo) and need to wait for the next connector to arrive from Hong Kong that you didn't think you would need.
I would be keen to catch up with anyone in the area to steal some knowledge so I can get rolling.
Would also be keen to get in any Perth rides.
A builders catchup would be ace

warning....I may paint my bike purple, if you know what I mean.

Has anyone in Perth ever been nabbed by the fuzz for having a motor above 250W?

Oh, Im building a
rear Mac 8T geared from Cell_Man,
with 48V 10Ah Headways( and I expect another 16s to go 20AH) from EVWorks.com.au,
and 12 FET controller and 16 BMS from Cell_Man
and a CycleAnalyst v3, which I need to work out how to mod the controller for it.

Cheers

I'm interested in the old Avanti D8, but I don't live in Melbourne. :(

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Avanti-D8-Downhill-Bike-Boxxer-/251281552485?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item3a818c3465

maramusa said:
Howdy

I have just started posting on the ES, as I am in the middle of my first build, can be slow progress when you live in Perth (Freo) and need to wait for the next connector to arrive from Hong Kong that you didn't think you would need.
I would be keen to catch up with anyone in the area to steal some knowledge so I can get rolling.
Would also be keen to get in any Perth rides.
A builders catchup would be ace

warning....I may paint my bike purple, if you know what I mean.

Has anyone in Perth ever been nabbed by the fuzz for having a motor above 250W?

Oh, Im building a
rear Mac 8T geared from Cell_Man,
with 48V 10Ah Headways( and I expect another 16s to go 20AH) from EVWorks.com.au,
and 12 FET controller and 16 BMS from Cell_Man
and a CycleAnalyst v3, which I need to work out how to mod the controller for it.

Cheers

Have to warn you up front NO FREO DOCKERS supporters are allowed on Perth Group rides...
If you aren't wearing blue and gold, dont bother coming LOL :mrgreen:

Pitty your so far from me i have heap of connectors etc i could help you with...

KiM

Back