Bafang BBSHD Error 30

skyecolin22

1 µW
I recently installed a Bafang BBSHD motor to my bike, and I programmed it to 20 amps max current at first. My bike is extra long, so the speed sensor wire was not long enough to install. As such, I got an Error 21 (missing speed sensor) 10 seconds after using the throttle or PAS. I ordered an extension cable for the speed sensor, but it hasn't arrived yet. For now I'm just restarting the display every 10 seconds because the bike is my only means of transportation.

I reprogrammed it to 25 amps max current (the BMS continuous rating is 30), and now the display shows an Error 30 (communication error), and won't tell my what my battery percentage is. Thankfully it'll still let me use the motor, but of course because of Error 21 I'm still restarting it every 10 seconds. Everything works though, the throttle works, the motor works, the low voltage cutoff works, the gear sensor works, etc. I'm not sure why it's giving this second error, and there doesn't appear to be any actual issues with the controller.

However, when I went to try and reflash the settings or change them a bit (maybe the combination I had was causing errors somewhere), the controller wouldn't connect to let me read or write settings. My programming cable has a blue light that is flashing at around 2.5 Hz whenever I try to connect, but it doesn't succeed. I have verified that my COM ports are correct, and the battery is on when I try to program it. I also restarted my computer.

Is there any way to override either of these errors? Or, is there something I may have fried? Could repetitive Error 21's cause an Error 30? Anything I could do to view my battery percentage or the watt meter would be helpful.

Error 30 is a generic communication error. So basically your display is not getting a response from your motor, are you sure it is even working at all?
Your programming cable is trying to send something but doesn't seem to get an answer either.
So either something is wrong with your wiring or your controller is fried.

I am very sure it is working, I biked 4 miles to work and back and there were absolutely no issues except the errors. I have checked my pins to make sure they are not bent, but I don't have a multimeter to test continuity.

When my battery to BBSHD connector got contaminated by dirt I got errors 30, 21, 04 and voltage spikes on display. After cleaning and propper seal there are no problems anymore. Maybe check your connector.

I just put this together and haven't gotten any dirt on it. When I disconnected all of the wires, there were no bent pins or dirt in any of the connections. On Wednesday I'll ask my friend to borrow his multimeter and see if there is continuity.

Back