Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

alfantastic said:
Not sure it's all doom and gloom, Tamiya manufacture it for their models:

You cannot tell what is in it from what it has been used for - you need to get the msds sheet and/or read the packaging to work out what is in it. I have had to contact grease manufacturers because both of those methods did not yield enough information. Besides, RC components are smaller, usually spin at higher RPM and are not subject to the same loads.

kfranchoo said:
I've seen the video from Bruno and he really stuffs it with moly. I'll take my chances with it going next door.

Do yourself a solid and remove the gear to grease it. Bruno packs the outer of the large reduction gear and attempts to 'stuff it down' to the other side of the gearing. When I took mine apart after doing this, nowhere near enough grease was on 'inside' part of the cog face. It takes time for it to move across if at all - meanwhile your using it to do so.

Further, it doesn't need to be pressure packed the way he does it, just adequately grease it and put it back together. Simple.

Lurkin said:
Do yourself a solid and remove the gear to grease it. Bruno packs the outer of the large reduction gear and attempts to 'stuff it down' to the other side of the gearing. When I took mine apart after doing this, nowhere near enough grease was on 'inside' part of the cog face. It takes time for it to move across if at all - meanwhile your using it to do so.

Further, it doesn't need to be pressure packed the way he does it, just adequately grease it and put it back together. Simple.
I took a simple syringe used with a needle to inject BBQ meat. Filled it and injected. It gets MORE than enough grease. More than Bafang, although anything is more than I've seen in some motors. And yes I have had one apart after my method. I don't like to take things apart unless I need to. My method works. Got the idea when I found the aviation grease packaged for rifle trigger use, in a syringe. Easy peasy.

Not to be argumentative but if you measure out a "helping" you can see how much you manage to stuff in. I managed to stuff over 1 1/2 TBS. That's enough

stmob1-500x500.jpg

Grind the tip off. Some have bigger "needles" than others. It takes some pressure but works. Every hardware store here has "marinade injectors".
Weston-23-0301-W-Plastic-Marinade-Injector--1-oz--86232_xlarge.jpg

http://www.scaleengineering.com/Product%20Pages/Syringes1.htm

On my BBS02, I have this problem:
- Motor works perfectly fine on throttle only
- When I pedal with motor turn off, I have a "clac" sound on every pedal turn.
- When I turn the pedal with my hand (and bike is upside down) so that it freewheels, there are no noise.

Anyone has an idea on what's the problem and how to sort that out?

Thank you

I don't really know because it only happen when significant pressure is on the crank (when I use my leg) but when I spin it with my hand there are no noise??

Any reports of 3077 controller failure?

Error code 8 seems to be Hallsensor abnormality or open circuit. Will a simple loose connection throw that code? I'm told controller failure will also peg that code? Hoping to not have to replicate it, it's been to cold, even in the basement in Minnesnowta.

Searching...

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to give you an update on my BBS02. Some of you may remember that the motor was repaired three times. Recently I was not able to ride the bike too often. However, today I had a chance and the motor died. Approx. 400 miles after the last repair.

This is was I saw when I opened the motor

hQ7KIND.jpg

Fortunately, in the meantime I received a replacement from Bafang. I opened the motor before installing

FjZeiGY.jpg

I greased the gears with this grease Mobil - Mobilgrease 28 Aviation Grease , 13.7oz
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G3BTV5A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

c5qzsoG.jpg

All works as it should work with one exception. The motor does not engage on PAS 0. I need to use PAS 1-3 to be able to use the throttle or to just use the pedal assist. Any idea how to fix this? Is there any programming needed?

Thanks!

what are the two build dates?

I send you a photo of the replacement and from what you said it was built in Sep 2015. The first one I received in Sep 2014.

I should remember your details? Thanks. :lol:
See if I help again. :wink:

I am sorry, this is not what I meant. What I meant is that you explained me from the random numbers on the motor the built date. I do not know how to read them.

bono said:
I am sorry, this is not what I meant. What I meant is that you explained me from the random numbers on the motor the built date. I do not know how to read them.
Bono, so sorry, I meant it as humor. I've enjoyed being helpful, and always will. I'm watching to see how this works out.

In the first photo is that sheared teeth off the big gear i see (bottom of pic)??

How were you riding, what were you doing when those broke off?

bono said:
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to give you an update on my BBS02. Some of you may remember that the motor was repaired three times. Recently I was not able to ride the bike too often. However, today I had a chance and the motor died. Approx. 400 miles after the last repair.

This is was I saw when I opened the motor

hQ7KIND.jpg

Fortunately, in the meantime I received a replacement from Bafang. I opened the motor before installing

FjZeiGY.jpg

I greased the gears with this grease Mobil - Mobilgrease 28 Aviation Grease , 13.7oz
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G3BTV5A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

c5qzsoG.jpg

All works as it should work with one exception. The motor does not engage on PAS 0. I need to use PAS 1-3 to be able to use the throttle or to just use the pedal assist. Any idea how to fix this? Is there any programming needed?

Thanks!

tommie said:
In the first photo is that sheared teeth off the big gear i see (bottom of pic)??

How were you riding, what were you doing when those broke off?
Bono claims he doesn't abuse it or ride hard but it's one of the worst cases I've seen and I spend a lot of time searching out and reading problems. I also converse with several significant suppliers. I'm hoping it was just a bum build. I suggested he should have insisted on a replacement on the first fail. However all rebuilds were done by a master machinist. With more experience with shafts, bearings, gears, and mechanical properties than 99.9% of the posters here.

EDIT I don'r mean to imply I'm an expert. Just an old fart who loves these drives and follows them as close as time allows.

Yep, pretty much flat terrain. No off road riding. Gentle changing of the gears. 90% of the ride on express road, i.e. not many stops and goes. Speed usually 23-25 mph. I was really treating this motor gently as this was my commuter bike and reliability was my highest priority.

Yesterday when the motor died, I could not move the paddles, it just stuck.

I did a quick research and it appears that throttle does not work in PAS 0 position by default. I have just ordered a cable and will research this further prior to changing anything in the settings.

Hi!

Does anyone know how to disassemble the crank axle from this BBS02 version? It appears different than in all videos/guides I have seen... It is some sort of rubber seal.
Attaching images of the crank and serial. Thanx!

Attachments

• IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 2,795
  • IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,795
You have the improved rubber seal! A huge improvement. It pops right out, pty with a thin non cutting blade.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=75603&p=1144064#p1144064

opperpanter said:
staldor said:
Clinking noise without any load.
https://goo.gl/photos/yAy8TcU7D4osr22R6

The noise I get when there is load on the motor, notice the low frequency grinding/roaring in the beginning when the motor starts to spin the wheel:
https://goo.gl/photos/gS13PBCvpyHmVAHn8

What do you think? The motor is practically new, only driven a couple of km's.
opperpanter said:
opperpanter said:
I have the same thing. I tried greasing the metal gears, but that didn't help. Going to send it to em3ev for repair.
Paul asked me to send it to someone in London.
Serial: 1412260523

staldor said:
If you experience the same symptoms, did Paul mention the problem that causes it?

I would also be interested to hear if someone in London can fix this. I'm based in Norway. My reseller (greenbikekit.com) has not mentioned something about this. Just that i can get the spare parts I need..

Not sure yet if it is the magnet rotor, or if I have bearing problems with the iron gears.

And how difficult is to fix this myself? Do I need to take the whole motor apart?

My serial is 1509083899.
No, Paul didn't tell me more. I was ready to open it up for him.
I'll post updates here, I hope to send it out this weekend. Although repair may take a while due to Xmas.
So motor came back this week. Although paul said it was a minor issue (noisy bearing) they decided to replace the complete inner motor structure.
It sounds better now, but the proof will be when I find time to put it back on my bike!
There was some fluid (Water) inside of the motor also.

Those old seals really suck. The new are a huge improvement and hopefully will fix a couple of problems.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=75603#p1144064

I'll post some comparisons later today.

xludber said:
Hi!

Does anyone know how to disassemble the crank axle from this BBS02 version? It appears different than in all videos/guides I have seen... It is some sort of rubber seal.
Attaching images of the crank and serial. Thanx!

Can you advise what supplier you purchased your BBS02 from? I know Paul was working on a better seal, but it would be nice to confirm its him. If it is, I'll probably have to buy a seal as thats a really good solution to sealing that area off.

The new seals are out and as pictured. All new drives have it. Including the BBSHD. What's confusing?

I wasn't aware all drives had them, i.e. Bafang is installing them rather than vendors developing it for themselves.

Nothing to see here. :lol:

BTW, All attempts to get them, from He who shall be revered, failed for months. Still unobtanium, mine came from a rebuild.

Back