BBS02B vs similarly priced Hub Motor?

Willo0234

1 µW
Hi all, very new here and not too familiar with forums in general.

I'm currently saving the money to build myself a D.I.Y Ebike for the summer. Looking for a bike that'll do say 35mph on a flat surface combined with peddling and atleast 25mph purely on throttle. I've found 750W BBS02Bs for around £350-£450 dependant on the kit. But, havw been able to find as big as 2000W hub motors for the same price.

I'm under the understanding that a bigger battery would obviously be required running a 2000W hub, but am I also correct in saying with an alternative controller I could pull more from the BBS02B in the future?

Because if that is the case I'd be getting a bigger battery to sort of future proof it. But yeah basically I'd like to know is a BBS02B worth its price in comparison to a much larger hub motor? I'm a very light rider at 140ibs so I don't think I'll need much more, but would just like to know.

Any help or insight is much appreciated :)

Ps. Please don't say "but why do you need to do 35mph?" The bike'd be seeing a lot of offroad usage on private roads so I'd be going a lot faster.

Your price comparison should take into account that the BBS motor has the controller built in. So, you need to compare the cost of the BBS to a hub motor plus controller.

I enjoyed my 200$ QS V1 35H Hub motor much more than my BBSo2B.

Hub motor setup? it needed a controller, ( used , paid 80$) and a battery ( I got a used ev cell pack, paid 80$ for my first one. ). Everythign else. I had to lace the rim, buy the throttle, the fuses and leads. I put 10,000 trouble free miles on this bike. One repair about 1500 miles in, thats all. Everything but the hub motor was bought used to keep price down.

The BBSO2 was 300$ plus shipping. I had it( for the year) right before the hub, it broke in 700 miles (destroyed nylon gear), then again at about 1500 miles ( the drives freewheels). It is sitting in my shack with about 1800 miles on it. I honestly dont think its worth 100$.

...the BBSo2B would do a max of 28mph, maYbe 30mph ( 44-14 cogs) . It woudl lope and strugle up hills at the highest speed. Downshift and you would be fine ( except that one time it shredded its gear in the lowest gear, 44T-34T) .

My hub motor is set up to max out at about 45mph. It does that good. Reliably. So many miles since, I may replace the bearing soon, for they are getting old.

The BBS02 has a built in controller. If you set that controller up for the kind of amperage potential to go that fast, I believe you're gong to smoke that controller in short order. The BBS02 is a GREAT motor - until you try to make it go faster than it's really designed to go.

The direct drive hub, with plenty of amperage as well as voltage available, would be the speed demon. It offers WAY more cooling potential to handle that kind of power.

AHicks said:
The BBS02 has a built in controller. If you set that controller up for the kind of amperage potential to go that fast, I believe you're gong to smoke that controller in short order. The BBS02 is a GREAT motor - until you try to make it go faster than it's really designed to go.

The direct drive hub, with plenty of amperage as well as voltage available, would be the speed demon. It offers WAY more cooling potential to handle that kind of power.

Yes. I do want to say I did beat on my BBSo2B, shifting whenever sometimes, out in the snow, through all weather, streams, ect. I did not grease it and set the amps to the max on the programming dongle. I did not treat it nicely, and maybe that is why it did not last as long as every one elses. That said, it was ALOT of fun never the less. Monster tork in low gear for a bicycle. Spin in the mud all day with big bicycle off road nobbies. .

Willo0234 said:
Looking for a bike that'll do say 35mph on a flat surface combined with peddling and atleast 25mph purely on throttle.
[...]
Ps. Please don't say "but why do you need to do 35mph?" The bike'd be seeing a lot of offroad usage on private roads so I'd be going a lot faster.

I won't tell you that, then. But I will tell you that the BBS02 is the wrong motor for you if that's the performance you want. BBSHD with an external controller would be a better choice (less likely to cook itself).

Get a big direct drive motor like the 1500W Leaf Bike kit if you want to go 35 mph regularly, economically, with low maintenance.

avandalen said:
The TSDZ2 is better
That is a hilarious assertion to anybody who's been reading the many troubles and failures of that clown-engineered system in this forum over the years.

Back