Before I buy the bike.. confirm

cbr shadow

1 kW
I'm headed to buy this bike tonight, but want to run it past you guys once to make sure I'm not making things hard on myself for the Ebike conversion by buying this bike over a different one..
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/hay1500xi.htm

Note: I'm not actually buying through bikesdirect. I found a used one that's only 2 months old and not ridden much for $300. let me know what you think.
My plans are to make it into a commuter ebike (20 miles round trip) with a 52v 11.5Ah triangle pack from Cellman and Mac8t motor, 12 FET controller, twist throttle with 3-speed switch.

why not use your old thread ? so many bike's it's really hard to say.

As long as it is a decently made bike you should be fine.

I used my Giant that's like 15 yrs old and it's been pretty solid for me so far luckily it was well made.

Should work ok, 8 speeds so not as difficult to adapt as 9 speeds. But at the same time, not a horrible example of the $150 retail wallmart bike.

You may still want to replace somthing on it if you do lots of miles, like a seat or different handlebars.

Dogman, I'm confused about your walmart bike comment - is this a cheapo bike? I was thinking this was a "nicer" mountain bike that I could set up as an ebike.
Would an older Schwinn Moab be better?
ahh so many decisions..

What's nice about buying a better than "big box bike" is the ability to get it in a range of sizes. It's not so critical if you're building a "moped" but if you plan on pedaling a lot then getting the sizing and fit right is very important. The bike looks like a good value and should work out well for you...so then I would only ask is it YOUR SIZE?

-R

The link you provided describes the 21" as "(medium/large) standover 31" fits most riders 6' to 6’4”. I'm 5' 11" myself and it's the size I'd go with.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/haymaker_geo_chart.htm

Of couse you get the opportunity to try it on when you go to see it. I just ordered a bike online for my next build and only had a picture to go by :?

-R

TucsonTNT said:
dogman said:
Should work ok, 8 speeds so not as difficult to adapt as 9 speeds.

What does it take to convert a 8 or 9 speed to a 7 speed?

8 speed components will work just fine with 7 speeds since the cog-cog spacing is the same. When using an 8 speed shifter with a 7 speed freewheel simply use the limit screws on the rear derailleur to essentially lock out the 8th position. Going from 9 speed to 7 is more complicated because the cog to cog spacing is narrower for 9 speed. At a minimum you'd need to replace the 9 speed shifter with a 7 speed. The rest of the 9 speed components (chain, chainwheels, derailleur) generally will work with modern 7 speed freewheels/cassettes.

-R

As Russel stated, if you plan on pedaling a lot, it's important that the bike fits you. At 5'10, if you have mesomorphic proportions (average build), a frame ~19" would probably be ideal. A 21" frame could possibly be adjusted to fit by swapping to shorter stem or closer reach handlebars. Just don't make the mistake many do by adjusting the seat more forward to compensate. By doing this all your upper body weight is supported by your arms instead of your torso, resulting in sore arms, wrists and shoulders. You also lose pedalling efficiency because geometry is now changed (cranks are now positioned further back in relation to your knees).

Something to also consider is a 19" frame would be perfect for fitting a FalconEV triangle bag. The 21" however has extra triangle space for other various battery mounting options.

21" frame is too tall for someone 5'10". The bike is aluminum, with I assume aluminum dropouts. Not what you want. Here's a decent Walmart alternative with an 18" frame and it uses steel swing arms, forks, and dropouts.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/NEXT-Avalon-26-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike/14272884
Others;
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Roadmaster-Granite-Peak-26-Men-s-Mountain-Bike/15711164

You said used, and not what size the used bike is. That matters, but the general info onthe bike looks good.

Aluminum frame is fine, you'll need to run some form of torque arm or plate on the rear, but there are people pushing many thouusands of watts through the rear of aluminum bikes without problems.

I agree, I would suggest get 18" frame for your size and I have Tidalforce 18" frame for my 6" tall is perfect. If you are going run hardtail frame and get a thudbuster suspension seatpost.

wesnewell said:
21" frame is too tall for someone 5'10".

Back