Bicycle Locks

LockH said:
Hehe... With my first "bike" (standup kick scooter with "extra kick" via 2x 12V 10Ah batts) could wheel right into the grocery store and rest a basket on the base/deck and walk up/down their aisles. At one point one store employee had a "problem" but had to admit my "grocery cart" was smaller than THEIR grocery carts. :) So never had to bother with a lock or leaving the bike outside. :wink:

I do that too with a kick scooter these days. I loop the basket handles over the bars, so I can surreptitiously scoot down the aisles. It makes shopping more of a thrill. I think my white hair helps keep me from being apprehended.

Kick scooters also go fast into buses, car trunks, elevators and down apartment halls. They make the "never lock" concept work much better than my Brompton, which I find a pain to lug around much. I've never had an electric "kick" scooter, but wonder how fast I could get around the streets on one.

Hehe... COULD wheel onto pubic transport (subway. Not sure I spelled "public" correctly) and when getting off, waited about zero time waiting for the next bus. All around town about zero time spent waiting for some "next bus" plus no more "last mile". DID buy a monthly pubic transit (sp?) once, but discovered scoot waay more fun, always a seat and probably paid for itself many times over in monthly passes NOT purchased. NEVer a lineup to plugin either. I'm still rolling on sort of a "strange" bike (recumbent cruiser tricycle) but back then the little kick scooter was also sort of unique such that I wasn't too worried about theft. And don't usually leave parked out of sight either. Like next week, plan to go to a meeting at City Hall, and to leave the trike parked right outside the (high traffic area) main door. :wink:

Do plan to invest in a GPS tracker ASAP though. :)

DR-600x338.jpg

1JohnFoster said:
LockH said:
Hehe... With my first "bike" (standup kick scooter with "extra kick" via 2x 12V 10Ah batts) could wheel right into the grocery store and rest a basket on the base/deck and walk up/down their aisles. At one point one store employee had a "problem" but had to admit my "grocery cart" was smaller than THEIR grocery carts. :) So never had to bother with a lock or leaving the bike outside. :wink:

I do that too with a kick scooter these days. I loop the basket handles over the bars, so I can surreptitiously scoot down the aisles. It makes shopping more of a thrill. I think my white hair helps keep me from being apprehended.

Kick scooters also go fast into buses, car trunks, elevators and down apartment halls. They make the "never lock" concept work much better than my Brompton, which I find a pain to lug around much. I've never had an electric "kick" scooter, but wonder how fast I could get around the streets on one.

lol, I do this too occasionally.
I am in my early 30s... so how much of a "problem" people have with it is entirely dependent upon how I am dressed.

At one point someone had enough of a problem that to leave "because the wheels of it are dirty from rolling outside". so I took a cart FROM THE PARKING LOT, and placed it in the cart.. then continued shopping. lol no problem after that.

Seriously? In most places, everywhere I go, hitting a bike with a grinder is highly unlikely. And would definitely draw attention.
But that's small town low crime.

Overnight on campus? Gone. Small town USA. No problem.

But 100 deductible $3000 in coverage for bicycle insurance is probably the best bet.

$100 deductible on accessories too. But here in Lower Lumpa, the kryptonite does the job.

I pity young city boys. I retired out of the rat race.

angle grinder and cutoff wheel work too. :lol:

so do bolt cutters.. they make very large ones.

Yes too much noise, the ones I mentioned are very quiet. Ever see manual made-for-rebar cutters? Check out the 1" rebar
Yeah, 4 foot bolt cutters can be hidden easily. Ultra quiet. Dark night. Late in the night.

Have you ever read the insurance fine print on the locks?
Have you ever seen ANYONE get paid from that insurance?

Those insurance promises are a marketing gimic, and are pointless.
Best bet is to ride what looks like an old, rusted, ugly bike with unrecognizable brand name components (scratched up XTR components), that has a double lock U-lock that you "de-labelled" (I always take my labels off the lock).

I find with most small towns, especially resort towns, the inhabitants use cable locks. Collapsable bolt cutters and the bike is gone!
I've done the walkabout in a few resort towns, every now and then I see an interesting bike I will check out, look at the rest of the bike rack and 9 times out of 10, no ulock on any.

The thieves look for easy targets for quick cash to get their fix.

Yes I have seen someone collect. It takes due diligence and having logged and submitted every receipt prior to insuring. I have seen it work. https://velosurance.com

Love you guys that find something wrong with every solution. I collected 10 years ago on another policy in Las Vegas. YMMV

i searched on youtube "angle grind lock", sure enough lots of hits, most were using mains cabled angle grinders as they were demo videos.. but lithium battery angle griders are out there, not heavy and cheap enough...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63tCDn09hZM

this guy had a cordless lithium grinder but weirdly he decided to cut through the chunkiest part but he gets there in the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WMCV8lpxTY

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=angle+grinder+lock

Yeah angle grinders do work, how long does it take them to cut both sides of a Kryptonite? 5 minutes?
Noise can be diffused, like using a pillow or bottle to diffuse the gunshot sound.

Ok, so a handful of people collected. What is the flip-side numbers?
The cases where the policy is rejected?
Total number of claims to claims rejected and claims endorsed. Those #'s are the companies trade secret.
Like what insurance companies do. Fullfill one claim, deny a 100. They look good, good marketing gimick.

-------------DO NOT RELY ON LOCK COMPANIES INSURANCE POLICY TO PAY OUT WHEN YOUR BIKE IS STOLEN-------------

Sorry life doesn't work out in cow town. 50 years of riding and success plays better than reading bum reports online.

markz said:
Yeah angle grinders do work, how long does it take them to cut both sides of a Kryptonite? 5 minutes?

I've never needed more than 30 seconds with a grinder to cut a lock off a bike. I have to do this relatively often at work, to help someone who's lost his or her key.

Chalo said:
markz said:

I've never needed more than 30 seconds with a grinder to cut a lock off a bike. I have to do this relatively often at work, to help someone who's lost his or her key.

Not a single report on the list cal campus of a grinder thief. A lock simply stops theft by convenience. Any organized their ring will own any bike they want but because my lock can be cut in 3 minutes I should not lock and let anyone walking buy own it. These are such ridiculous threads. locks don't work, insurance is a rip off, just resign yourself to doing nothing and donate your bike to the next asshat. :roll:

In my younger days my Paramount came in with me or I didn't visit. Locked down with the best acvailable chain in 1970, they got the stem and Brooke's.

A long read. Worth it. Informative, from the real world of the bike thieves ; http://www.tested.com/tech/458286-best-bike-lock-today/

aroundqube said:
A long read. Worth it. Informative, from the real world of the bike thieves ; http://www.tested.com/tech/458286-best-bike-lock-today/
Good one, pretty much the article that changed the way I locked and bought a lock based on it.

From my current Youtubing, I have learned Masterlocks?American Lock are a joke. A few seconds and they are picked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU9MB5XPsp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIq9khF-axs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MllKTYLgJc0

I dont know why this guy bothers doing his videos only cutting the chain link and not going after the lock itself which could be weaker.

[youtube]5K8ySO_Ihz8[/youtube]

Kryptonite New York Bike Chain VS Angle Grinder. Hardened Security chain takes about 30 seconds to cut with cordless angle grinder.
[youtube]mMLox4wGS50[/youtube]

2 minutes Pewag
[youtube]v3VTyNGPuVo[/youtube]

cal3thousand said:
That's why I put together my own lock. It weighs in at a hefty 7 lbs. 6 oz though.

It's made of:

3 feet of 3/8" Grade 120 Steel Transport chain. (strong enough to hang a car from; square links;Made in Austria [like Arnold])
MasterLock 6527 - 7/16" Shrouded Shackle (Makes it a BITCH, if not impossible, to get cutters on)
Thick old bike tube as a sleeve
zipties to hold the sleeve at the ends.

If you are to replicate this, know that it takes some skill to lock this at first. I spec'd these to be a tight fit and fill up the shackle to make it even more difficult to cut. It is actually so tight, that until some of the paint wears off the links, you'll have difficulty locking it. I have to line up the links so that they sit in a particular orientation. Now that I have used it for some time, it is much easier to click in.

For my wife's bike, to make it easier to lock and still have a good amount of security, I built a set using Master Lock 6525 (thinner shackle) and 5/16" Chain (same grade but black for some reason), again using a tube as a sleeve.

I feel really confident that, short of a blow torch or angle grinder, you won't get my bike. And even with either of those tools, it is not going to be a quick nor attention free activity. That should buy me extra time for 'preparations'

The best thiefs the ones that spot your bike 2 blocks away don't carry blow torches or angle grinders. No, they carry drinking straws, bic pens, and a can of liquid nitro and a hammer or any rock. And those are the one eyeballing your e-bike, cause they know only the parts are worth 3K second hand.

NO lock is sufficient...they are only a deterrent.
I keep my bike IN SIGHT, or I bring it INSIDE....and usually still lock it, even if I am 10 feet away....it only takes a second.
I may seem rude sometimes...and stores/restaurants are not really happy about it...
....but I'm paying them, and if they want my money, they will accommodate my needs or I will go somewhere that does.

Leebolectric said:
NO lock is sufficient...they are only a deterrent.
I keep my bike IN SIGHT, or I bring it INSIDE....and usually still lock it, even if I am 10 feet away....it only takes a second.
I may seem rude sometimes...and stores/restaurants are not really happy about it...
....but I'm paying them, and if they want my money, they will accommodate my needs or I will go somewhere that does.

Ha, I use to do that, but there are no restaurants here that will do that. One bar will, but I'm not much of a drinker. SO I have it all, top lock and insurance. Eugene, with it's bicycle friendly attitudes, is very different form most cities. I think I miss that city more than SF. I loved traveling there.

Eugene IS bike friendly...but it is also one of the very top cities for bike theft...no place to be casual.

I think they try their best to make the locks look strong and unbreakable, unpickable.

Picking Master Lock Pro Series 6421
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL1HalS7rzg

Master Lock 6835 Pro-Series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpDYPsVkvCY

Master 6125 Pro Series

Grade 70 Chain
20% difference between 80 and 100

That chain is HEAVY!!!! I found a length on the road, probably worth $200.
Gr 70

Transport

As its name implies Transport Chain is used primarily to tie down loads on over-the-road equipment. The yellow chromate (gold) plating makes it easily recognizable even from a distance. Made from heat-treated carbon steel it has about 25% more strength than high test chains. Hallmarked every 1 to 3 feet with manufacturer's symbol and grade marking: 7, 70 or 700. Not for overhead lifting.

More info: Order Bulk Here Order Assemblies Here Specifications Here

Gr 80

Alloy

The first chain specifically designed for safety and approved by OSHA and other agencies for overhead lifting. Its alloy, heat-treated steel makes it ideal for making lifting slings and heavy duty tow chains. Hallmarked no more than 3 feet apart with manufacturer's symbol and grade marking: 8, 80 or 800.Suitable for overhead lifting.

More info: Order Bulk Here Order Assemblies Here Order Slings Here Specifications Here

Gr 100

Alloy

This new innovation in alloy chain metallurgy provides about 25% higher working load limits over Gr 80 chain with some limitations reported in lower ambient temperatures. Hallmarked no more than 3 feet apart with manufacturer's symbol and grade marking: 10 or 100. Listed as suitable for overhead lifting.

More info: Order Here Order Slings Here Specifications Here

markz said:
In hardware stores I always look for chunky plastic chain that I could spray paint to affect the "YZ look". Put a heavy nylon sleeve over it and run a cheezy little cable inside for a bit of protection against being litterally ripped off, and you've got the NY look without the weight. I haven't found plastic chain yet with a square cross section yet though. And I suppose it really would be a big risk if your bike is worth anything.

Or move to Lower Lumpa (small town USA) where all the YouTube dramatics, are just that, drama for the terminally bored. How much time can a guy spend trying to convince himself it's hopeless. Las Vegas, no lock, don't allow bike, no business. Winona MN, never left out overnight, locked with U-lock by day. In public. Virtually fool proof. All the histrionics won't change either.

1JohnFoster said:
markz said:
In hardware stores I always look for chunky plastic chain that I could spray paint to affect the "YZ look". Put a heavy nylon sleeve over it and run a cheezy little cable inside for a bit of protection against being litterally ripped off, and you've got the NY look without the weight. I haven't found plastic chain yet with a square cross section yet though. And I suppose it really would be a big risk if your bike is worth anything.

Uh.... that's a bit like leaving your front door open, but having a sign that says "protected by xxx security company". In the right neighborhood, it will suffice. In LA, it would make a nice story for the crack heads that stole your bike to pass around.

Back