bike helmet with face shield

mud2005

10 kW
Hello, I had an idea today to attach my motorcycle helmet face shield to my bicycle helmet to prevent watery eyes, bugs in eyes, and anything else that may hit me in the face. I just taped it on with masking tape so it looks bad, but it works great! I need to find a better way to attach this cause I can see using this all the time 8)
why the hell don't they make these ??helmet.jpg

quick improvement, electrical tape.helmet2.jpg

That is cool especially on windy days and in spring time with the pollen... still probably need glasses under it... my thing is i sweat alot and I probably would fog the hell out of that visor lol.... Even in warm weather... Id probably get pissed at it cause i could wipe the sweat from my brow and forhead without taking the visor off.

I wear glasses and its impossible to find good shades that fit over them. I just went for a long ride down the path next to the river where I normally get numerous bugs in the face.
It was cool to watch the bugs hit the shield and bounce off :D Also its quite windy today and normally my eyes water really bad, but they didn't at all with the shield.
I'm lovin this shield, going to use it every ride.

edit: also the whole helmet tilts back easily for sweat wiping or whatever

From "bikersden":

Thumbnail.jpg

From a Hockey site:

Positron_Hockey_Helmet_1.jpg

and from a scooter site:

600_skull_helmet.jpg

And from a Comix supply warehouse:

rocketeer-739977.jpg

"CLOSE only counts in shaving and nuclear weapons" -Admiral Rickover

mud2005 said:
quick improvement, electrical tape.

That's a neat idea! I wonder what it would look like with a tinted or mirrored visor . . .

If bugs ever stick to it, try to resist the urge to wipe them off; I did that once while riding at night and now my visor has many little scratches in it :x

heh, I like the skull helmet. I actually have a tinted shield same as this one, I'll put it on soon and post a pic.

I was going to say, if you're really desperate, a HOCKEY HELMET comes with a face shield. Not very bike chic though.

just get those vespa helmets. They are much safer for all you ebikers that rides at dangerous speeds, i dont think bicycle helmet would be as safe as proper scooter helmets.

Being a four eyes myself, and quite allergic, I have the same problem. At night I wear a pair of clear safety glasses over the spectacles. Many styles of safety glasses are now made for a stylish look, but the kind that go over glasses are still avaliable at Lowes or Home Depot. Not the goggle type, these are just clear wrap arounds that fit over glasses. For day use, even though I have sunglass lenses, I will wear extra tint for my rides though the desert. A Mr Magoo type sunglasses is found in big retailers like wallmart that is designed for over the glasses, and has nice wraparound. Since my route follows a highway frontage, I've had lots of small rocks from cars going 45 mph bounce off the lenses of my safety glasses.

that skull helmet is awesome!
Any of the starwars helmets (storm trooper, tie fighter pilot, boba fet etc) would be cool too if you won't mind looking like a spazz.
Clearly I dont, as I've been wearing one of these ebay chinese pilot helmets lately. haha. (more so in the colder weather so my face doesnt freeze)

188146772_o.jpg

I just took a face shield that one would use with a hard hat and wood screwed it to my bell bicycle helmet,we'll see how it works out tomorrow.DSC00036.JPG

The shield didn't work so well as it fogged up bad and really didn't keep the wind out very good.I may shorten it a little so it won't maybe it won't fog but may keep the bugs out of my nose :x

I thought that shield looked a bit large, you can pick up a motorcycle helmet shield for about $35 if you can't shorten that one.

This one is easy to shorten as it is made of thin material and can be bought for 5 to 7 dollars,I was hoping for more wind protection but will be glad if it keeps the bugs at bay as the bike trail I ride to work has some very thick patches of bugs on it :evil:

I like the concept. Now that I've been riding an ebike with generally faster speeds than before, I've become more sensitive to little things like bugs in my teeth.

But here's a story -- Once upon a time I was riding my favorite road bike at a good clip around dusk. Getting dark and going fast and breathing hard on a road with high speed traffic and not much of a shoulder. Briefly I saw a speck in front of me -- some kindofa bug. Before I could react this damn thing went into my wide open mouth and went SPLAT on the back of my throat.

So here I am confronted with conflicting requirements -- The need to breathe (but I can't), the need to maintain control (but I need to stop and breathe), and the need to get this buzzing thing out of me before it bites or stings or worse!

Little by little I managed to do all three at once. Slowed down, held my breath 'til I thought i'd burst (so I did not completely inhale the little bugger) and finally coughed really hard, still going pretty fast. Finally coming to a stop, I coughed some more and since then I've thought of wearing a dust mask while riding...

now thats a sweet helmet, wait they cost how much?? damn.

Shortened the face shield so it comes just under my nose with my head down a little and it works great! It still is not that great at overall wind protection as far as warmth goes but it keeps the bugs out of my eyes and nose.[attachment=0]DSC00107.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00107.JPG
    DSC00107.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 6,006
  • DSC00109.JPG
    DSC00109.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 6,004
Back