Bikes compatible with Bafang BBS02 motor

SdotC

1 mW
I have a Kuwahara Eclipse mountain bike. Will the BBS02 spindle fit the bottom bracket on this bike? I have gleaned this info from the link below. "Bafang BBSxx motors have a bottom bracket shaft diameter of 33.5 mm and are designed to fit into the bicycle bottom bracket standard known as JIS or Japanese Industrial Standard, which is very similar to our standard here in the US commonly referred to as "square tapered spindle", ISO/English, BSA, British, or "threaded""
https://www.empoweredcycles.com/blogs/news/101474694-bottom-bracket-standards-and-bafang-mid-drive-motors
Is there a list published anywhere that shows what bike brands/models are a natural fit (not too much jerry rigging) for the BBSxx motors?

SdotC said:
Responding to various comments above... Just what is wrong wit a Norco. I thought they were considered a good brand. Note I am looking at buying a Norco Vermont 21 spd second hand. Here is a post on installing a BBS02 on a Norco Hybrid. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/builds/ebike-building-directions/240-norco-indie-with-bbs02

The one you originally linked is a different vintage. The 1" headtube is a deal breaker since it pretty much eliminates the possiblity of upgrading to a decent fork. Plus, for me, not to others, I'd want the option of upgrading to disc brakes. I'd probably choose a cheapo Walmart bike if you aren't going to use your existing donor.

Nothing wrong with Norco.

As mentioned above I just did a BBS02 install on a Norco Kathmandu, an entry level mtn bike from the early 2000s. Not a fancy bike but everything works fine and the install was simple.

V brakes are fine. I have XTR V brakes on one of my bikes and I prefer them to Spyke mechanical disks on another bike.

The V brakes on the Kathmandu are good, despite being lowest end Shimano.

I would get a 26" mtn bike and put the fattest tires you can fit on it. Poor man's suspension. Also a sprung seat can help.Or a suspension seat post like Thudbuster but they can be very expensive.

SUCCESS Getting my BBS02 installed on my Cannondale Quick 4 today. It is a BSA bottom bracket alright, but the bolts holding the cable guide under the BB protruded in just a little bit, and also the inside was not to tolerence and had to be gound out a bit before the motor shaft would fit in. An installation not for the faint of heart.

Back