Blinker/Directional lights?

Wow, this thread went from methods of constructing turn signals to legality of turn signals to pros and cons of having turn signals to scooters and the birth of segway to personal rant of existents of segway caused one's disolvement of one's business.

Heres my take. First of all, you ride an electric bike, you're a dork. It's simple as that. It doesnt matter how cool your ebike looks or how stealth it is, even without turn signals. You can have a 2 inch diameter electric hub with 2lb battery tucked inside that tool pouch under the seat ,that to an untrained eye it just a regular bike, you're still a dork. Why? because only a dork will do enough research on the internet to find that 2" stealth hub motor that's manufactured in the jungles of China and that 2lb lipo4 that's made in the caves in Taiwan. Only a dork would know how to install it and make it look stealth and cool. A none dork would have gone to the local bike shop and bought a Giant electric bike. But then again he's buying an electric bike, he's a dork too.

Second of all that optibike looks nothing like a electric bike and more like a motorcycle wanna be even with out turn signal lights. And whats up with that 4 wheel electric bike with solar roof rack. It has 2 rear lights. They only functions as tail lights? so as long as they dont function as some type of directional signaling device then it's ok? 2 lights, 1 at each side. Lights up at the same time and act as a rear marker = coolness. Independently flashing to signal turning = dorkness.

Third according to http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/shr_slow_veh.htm#bike a cyclist "Must signal all their intentions to motorists and bicyclists near them." Now it doesnt say what method of signaling but I'd bet that using some type of electrical signaling device is still with in the realm of the law.

I've thought about turn signal lights when I was designing my ebike. I wasnt too sure if I want them or not. After reading this thread and the comments extremegreenmachine has written, I am convinced that I'm going to add it to my design. Thank you extremegreenmachine. I am also modifying the ebrake lever to activate the brake light, regen and of course slowing down the bike. BTW I really like your stealthy ebike with BMC motor. What kind of rear rack is that?

How's this for dorkness http://todaytech.info/2010/04/17/sprocket-pocket-ipad-turn-signal-for-cyclists/

If you don't mind fabbing your own mounts for them, these are fairly nice-looking and quite large surface area; should be pretty bright.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... railer.htm
Expensive though (to me, at least, or I'd be getting some).

Just wanted to let you know that the US legal/patent issues with the bicygnals appear to have been resolved.

They are now widely available in the US. You can order them from Amazon.com and they are available at Sears, Kmart and Target.

I ordered one.

bicygnals-indicator-med.jpg

I hope the Chinese hurry up and copy it, because the patent stuff seems to have resulted in silly pricing. Time to finally mount the motorcycle lights I picked up for a total of about $10 and no wireless gimmickry to mess up.

Wow, a great entertaining thread!
Here's a wireless option: http://www.gd-innolife.com

Comment... 
- law here states bicycler must indicate turn
- hand signal means no braking during gesture
- dark or dusk means hand gestures might be difficult to see ... are head/tail lights ok? chuckle... 
- real in town type bicycle commuting requires mixing it up with other vehicles and crossing or sharing lanes sometimes ... for what? making turns maybe? 

since we might run a crazy fast bike speed of 20mph :wink:  how to negotiate corners? hand signal or brake? ... get off the bike so it's legal to go up on the sidewalk to hit the pedestrian signal switcher? anyhoo... My last bike was dicey one handed just going straight without even thinking about braking in the bike lanes after a storm! current bike is solid even with one hand but still no full braking during gesture...

I will mount my turn signal LEDs soon because my commute is taking me into darker hours. They will be standard Cree circles with dispersing lens mounted in spots on either side of my red taillight. They just need to be put together and plugged in!
taillight_daylight_small.jpg

An automotive flasher provides signal feed: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18691&start=15#p286256

A pretty day vehicle like a stealth ebike ... nice = yes ... most practical? best possible functionality? hum... I want to see it. 

Dont worry guys...

I am trying to get it on November's balet to make directional lights illegal on all bikes...including ebikes.

Maybe then we can get some respect from the rest of the country...dorks no more...it sucks that in some parts in order not to be dorks we must be law breakers....really really sick. :twisted:

extremegreenmachine said:
I am trying to get it on November's balet to make directional lights illegal on all bikes...including ebikes.
:evil:
Go. Away.

extremegreenmachine said:
Dont worry guys...

Maybe then we can get some respect from the rest of the country...dorks no more...it sucks that in some parts in order not to be dorks we must be law breakers....really really sick. :twisted:

For most people, it doesn't matter if you have directional lights on your bike or not - you're still a dork. You might as well be safe and put them on if you want. I'm thinking about it for my commuter.

It's a good thing the people here aren't insecure enough for bicycle fascism to take hold. :)

I'm really pleased with my running light/brake/turn setup. I've got about 2200km on it so far.

For some reason, Mouser has been unable to obtain the the DC-DC converter I ordered so I'm still running on a 5Ah 3s LiPo. But the thing goes for a couple of months before needing a recharge.

The long strip with very closely spaced LEDs looks good - like a continuous rather than a contiguous light source. Because everything is integrated into a single strip, it is easy to install. I just backed it with a strip of aluminum bar. You can also bend the ends of the bar to get the signals viewable from the side. Cool...

I got my Bicygnals last week and have been using them since then on my commute.

Here's a mini-review:

Good
-------
- Build quality is high, this is not a cheapo e-bay signal
- Installation is easy, clamps are well designed
- Front and rear lights have 3 modes: off, on or blinking
- Wireless sync between front and rear turn signals works flawlessly **EDIT: no true, read follow up
- It looks good (IMO anyways)

Bad
-------
- The front module is not wide enough. To be able to press the turn signal buttons I have to lift my thumb high and to the side. It can be hard to do without looking down.
- At 100cdn delivered to my house its pretty expensive
- You have to seperately power on / power off the front and rear units before and after each ride. Its easy to forget and drain the batteries.
- There is a single button for everything on the front and rear units. So to put both units in a blinking mode, I have to press the button 3 times in front and 3 times in the back. Would have been nice to have a single ON button and a 3 mode selector switch.
- There is no beep-beep sound when the turn signal is on so its easy to forget that its on

All in all it works as intended, but if you can come up with something decent using motorcycle/moped hardware, you'll probably be better off.

Little follow up on the Bicygnals after 3 more weeks of use.

Turns out they are a major POS. The main problem is the wireless link. Almost every day it will go out of sync: the front and rear modules are no longer aware of each other. When that happens, the whole thing shuts down after a minute or 2. The only way to fix that is to remove both units, remove the batteries in both, wait 30 seconds, and put everything back together. Maybe its just my unit that is defective, but I'm not impressed.

I think I will remove the batteries in both units, solder wires to the "springs" inside and bring that to a 6V battery pack in my rear bag (or a connection to my main pack with a DC to DC converter). I'll be able to power it the bicygnals on or off using a switch on my handle bar, effectively resynching the wireless link every time. In other words, I'll be adding wires to make the wireless work :roll:

Out of curiosity, does it have any problems if you do not connect power to the ebike controller? I suspect based on wireless cycle computer interference reported by others that it would also interfere with these.

amberwolf said:
Out of curiosity, does it have any problems if you do not connect power to the ebike controller? I suspect based on wireless cycle computer interference reported by others that it would also interfere with these.

No, it works fine when I'm riding the bike. It stops working after the bike sat in the garage for the day (at work) or the night (at home).

Ah. Some sort of timeout "feature", perhaps. Or does it get significantly colder (or warmer) in there than it does during your usage times? If so, perhaps it is just a bad solder joint.

I found some nice high-visibility turn signals and taillights for our bikes, and they're even pretty cheap, at only $16 each:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RTL-1/RED-ARROW-LED-TRAFFIC-LIGHT-120-VAC-USED/1.html
RTL-1.jpg
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RTL-2/RED-LED-TRAFFIC-STOP-LIGHT-120-VAC-USED/1.html
RTL-2.jpg

They're 120VAC as-wired, but that's easy enough to fix either by bypassing whatever internal power supply they use, and either power with whatever is needed for the strings they have, or wire them up your own way. Or just upconvert your pack voltage to the necessary voltage.

At a foot across, it'll be hard for anyone to say they didnt' see your lights. ;)

Back