BMC 35a Controller Wiring.

EcoForumZ

10 W
Anybody out there have the wiring diagram for the BMC 35a 24v - 48v controller to a BMC Hub motor? The 25a BMC controller I got with the motor works perfectly and the wires match up color for color but the 35a controller wires do not match up 100%. One of the throttle wires is a different color but the other two wires are red and black so I assume the other wire green and white go togather.

Below is how I have the wires now. The motor sounds like it is running in reverse or in neutral.

3 large wires from motor
Green - Green
Blue - Blue
Yellow - Yellow

5 small wires from motor
BrownishRed - Red
Black - Black
Green - Green
Yellow - Yellow
Blue - Blue

Wires from controller to throttle
Red - Red
Black - Black

Update: Correct wiring diagram is listed below. "Thanks fechter!"

Motor :arrow: Controller
Phase wires:
Blue :arrow: Green
Green :arrow: Blue
Yellow :arrow: Yellow

Hall sensors:
Blue :arrow: Yellow
Green :arrow: Green
Yellow :arrow: Blue
Red :arrow: Red
Black :arrow: Black[/quote]

Green - White

View attachment 2
2.JPG
3.JPG

Hello EcoForumZ,

Sorry I can't help you with the wiring, but I do have a few questions about the new controller.

What is the size compared to the original one? Do you have any photos you can share? Also where did you purchase it from?

I have a BMC from EV-Tech with the 25 amp controller and I'm interested in upgrading in the future.

Thanks,

Paul.

Roonster said:
Hello EcoForumZ,

Sorry I can't help you with the wiring, but I do have a few questions about the new controller.

What is the size compared to the original one? Do you have any photos you can share? Also where did you purchase it from?

I have a BMC from EV-Tech with the 25 amp controller and I'm interested in upgrading in the future.

Thanks,

Paul.

Paul,

The 35a controller is about twice the size of the 25a controller. I took a bunch of pictures and will load them along with my review of the controller once I get it working. I can get you one of the 35a controllers but I want to test it out before selling to anybody. If you can find a diagram on how to wire up the controller let me know. I live near the BMC facility so I was able to stop by and buy some goodies.

Hi EcoforumZ,

Thanks for the info about the size. One thing I REALLY like about the stock 25A controller is it's small size. I have mine mounted in the hollow cavity of my seat for a nice stealth install.

Are there any technical people at the BMC facility that might be able to provide wiring info or is it just a distribution center?

Take a look at this post by Fetcher, maybe it will help out: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3484

Sincerely,

Paul.

Does it look like this one? http://www.hi-powercycles.com/product.sc?categoryId=4&productId=16

Somewhat OT:
Maybe the Hi-powercycles guy can enlighten us regarding it's wiring. His website says it comes with a wiring diagram. If he can help us out so that you can give us a user review he just may sell some more of these guys as they are available from him right now and for a lot less than a V1 analog Crystalyte.

I've had some email exchanges with him and he seems like a decent enough guy and responds pretty quickly. He is trying to establish himself and his business but seems to be getting a little negative reaction from some members here. A little help here would show he's got customer service and satisfaction included in his business plan. Which just may translate to some more sales for him.

I now relinquish control of this thread and have finished my Sunday editorial.

Sturdly said:
Does it look like this one? http://www.hi-powercycles.com/product.sc?categoryId=4&productId=16

Somewhat OT:
Maybe the Hi-powercycles guy can enlighten us regarding it's wiring. His website says it comes with a wiring diagram. If he can help us out so that you can give us a user review he just may sell some more of these guys as they are available from him right now and for a lot less than a V1 analog Crystalyte.

I've had some email exchanges with him and he seems like a decent enough guy and responds pretty quickly. He is trying to establish himself and his business but seems to be getting a little negative reaction from some members here. A little help here would show he's got customer service and satisfaction included in his business plan. Which just may translate to some more sales for him.

Yes that is the controller! Just need to get that wiring diagram from them. I just sent them an email.

I almost forgot he did mention that the LVC is selected by using some sort of plug and is adjusted by plug inserted or not. However I doubt that is affecting your set up as it seems that you have power and that the phasing is wrong.

do you mean that you can hear the motor running inside of the case but the ouside is not spinning?

rick

rkosiorek said:
do you mean that you can hear the motor running inside of the case but the ouside is not spinning?

rick

Yes that is what I mean. Do you know how to make it work? I know the motor is good because I can hook up my 25a controller and it works perfectly.

Sturdly said:

Somewhat OT:

I just got an email back from the folks at http://www.hi-powercycles.com they asked me to confirm the controller make and model. I was very surprised to get a reply back on a Sunday. Hopefully I will have a copy of the wiring diagram shortly. I will let you all know. Turned my email alert volume to MAX now I just have to wait and be patient :p

EcoForumZ said:
Sturdly said:

Somewhat OT:

I just got an email back from the folks at http://www.hi-powercycles.com they asked me to confirm the controller make and model. I was very surprised to get a reply back on a Sunday. Hopefully I will have a copy of the wiring diagram shortly. I will let you all know. Turned my email alert volume to MAX now I just have to wait and be patient :p

Well I just got an email back from http://www.hi-powercycles.com. The person that has the diagram is out of town until the 23rd. So if anybody out there can help me I would be most greatful.

I've seen one of those controllers before, but I don't have the wiring. I thought the colors matched up.

Any chance there's a reverse jumper somewhere?

fechter said:
I've seen one of those controllers before, but I don't have the wiring. I thought the colors matched up.

Any chance there's a reverse jumper somewhere?

I was hoping there was something like that but found nothing. The circuit board is complely filled with some sort of gel so I can't mess with it even if I wanted to. I am going to contact BMC tomorrow and have them send me the wiring diagram. I was just hoping to get the diagram so I could take her for a spin this weekend.

You can certainly reverse it by rewiring the hall and phase wires.

It would be best if they tell you the right combination, but you may have to figure it out yourself.

fechter said:
You can certainly reverse it by rewiring the hall and phase wires.

It would be best if they tell you the right combination, but you may have to figure it out yourself.

The wiring you gave me worked perfectly. Thanks for your help :D

Motor Controller
Phase wires:
Blue Green
Green Blue
Yellow Yellow

Hall sensors:
Blue Yellow
Green Green
Yellow Blue
Red Red
Black Black

Now that it's working can you give a quick review comparing it to the stock controller? If you run it with the same voltage as the original do you notice any performance improvement?

Thanks,

Paul.

Roonster said:
Now that it's working can you give a quick review comparing it to the stock controller? If you run it with the same voltage as the original do you notice any performance improvement?

Thanks,

Paul.

Top speed has not changed at all but she does have more torque not that she needed it. The main reason I got this controller was so I could add a 48v battery pack to take me to 29mph which is the max I want to go on this bike. I could probably get away with a 48v battery with the stock 25a 36v controller but I want the bike to be as reliable as possible.

I just added a few pictures here - http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5492

Congrats on getting the 35 amp controller to work. As ecoforumz said, it does have more torque and from my experience, increased top speed slightly. Regarding the 25amp controller, anything over 45v is pushing it too hard in my opinion.

Good luck!

hi-powercycles said:
Congrats on getting the 35 amp controller to work. As ecoforumz said, it does have more torque and from my experience, increased top speed slightly. Regarding the 25amp controller, anything over 45v is pushing it too hard in my opinion.

Good luck!

Thanks for all your help and for confirming the wiring diagram. I had some people asking me about the size of spokes to use with these motors. From what I understand each wheel size is not exactly the same size so it depends but I checked three of my 26" bikes and the wheels were all the same size. For the 26" wheel I installed my motor in I used 14 guage 193mm spokes. What size spokes should people use with 24", 20", 16", etc. size wheels? Or is it better to just buy the motor then take it to a bike shop to have the spokes custom cut to fit?

For my next project I think I will have the bike store do the install, true up the wheel, and adjust the brakes. I did everything myself which was a little more work than I expected. Getting the hub kit installed was a breeze but getting the wheel trued up and adjusting the brakes took me a while. Once I figured out what all the different screws on the brakes actually did it went much faster. Trueing the wheel can be done easily if you have a piece of chalk or something to mark the side of the wheel that is off balance.

This site is highly recommended if you are new to trueing wheels, or adjusting hand brakes to work perfectly. - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Does anyone know the correct wiring for a front BMC motor with this controller? I've tried quite a few combos and it isn't working 100% right. Matching up color to color does not work. Thanks.

Tony said:
Does anyone know the correct wiring for a front BMC motor with this controller? I've tried quite a few combos and it isn't working 100% right. Matching up color to color does not work. Thanks.

So you tried this wiring with the BMC 35a controller and BMC front hub motor and it is not working? What type of throttle do you have and what color are the wires coming from the throttle?

From Motor - To Controller
Phase wires:
Blue Green
Green Blue
Yellow Yellow

From Motor - To Controller
Hall sensors:
Blue Yellow
Green Green
Yellow Blue
Red Red
Black Black

yes, I've tried that combo with no luck- as well as the wiring that came with the instructions. I have a n older hub from 2005. ? if this is diffrent than the current ones as far as the wiring. I'm using a crystalte throttle with red on throttle to red on controller, yellow to black, and green to green. Ive tried a few different combos and it seems this combo almost works with phase wires - from motor to controller as follows- yell to blue, green to yellow and blue to green, with the hall wires matching color to color ( dosen't "sound" right though). Thanks for the help.

Sometimes U bite the bear! I got lucky with a Crystalyte analogue and a Bafang! One reverse of 2 phase wires and wallah! It runs great! Ya never know till U try!
otherDoc

Tony said:
yes, I've tried that combo with no luck- as well as the wiring that came with the instructions. I have a n older hub from 2005. ? if this is diffrent than the current ones as far as the wiring. I'm using a crystalte throttle with red on throttle to red on controller, yellow to black, and green to green. Ive tried a few different combos and it seems this combo almost works with phase wires - from motor to controller as follows- yell to blue, green to yellow and blue to green, with the hall wires matching color to color ( dosen't "sound" right though). Thanks for the help.

The throttle wires sound good so you should not have to mess with them. Also the red and black wires should match up color for color so you should not have to mess with them either. I don't really know what to suggest for the rest. You may want to open the controller and motor take some close up pictures then post them here then maybe somebody can give you a few things to try. The only other thing you can try would be to create a spreadsheet with all the color combinations then start going through each one.

Back