• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

BMC V2-S: Infineon or Crystalyte?

VRdublove

100 W
Hey guys,

It seems that most people set the BMC V2 up with a Crystalyte 36-72V Analog 35A controller. Is there any particular reason? I was considering using the 48V 35A Infineon.

Are there any distinguishable differences between the two in performance? Will they both need wiring adapters from the motor-controller? Is the Crystalyte waterproof? Can a CA plug directly into it?

Anyone have any efficiency numbers?

Sorry for the boatload of questions. Thanks!!

edited; Don't know about most but I am running the stock BMC 48V 30A controller that came with the kit for 29-30mph speeds on the flats and decent albeit not spectacular hill climbing abilities. I have heard these motors do well at 60V if you are easy on the throttle.
Even though I bought a kit, my controller and motor wires were not plug and play. I had to cut the ends off and put others on to be able to plug them in at all. The Infineon’s are supposed to support the BMC motors last I heard although some complain about throttle sensitivity.

VRdublove said:
Thanks for the help. So you are running the Speed winding on a 26"? Do you have any wh/mile numbers?

-Tommy
Yes same winding and 26" wheel. No I have not hooked up my CA as yet but I do get about 7 miles from my Dewalt 2p14S 4.6 AH packs. Some hills and lights to near anywhere I go so take that into consideration. Probly get better mileage but I am usually at full throttle and top speed. Others do near the same with the same batts.

the BMC being internally geared and having a large number of poles need a controller that can run very high electrical RPM. some of the digital controllers had problem running that high an electrical rpm. the analog Crystalyte (AKA V1) had no such limit. that is why many chose the Crystalyte V1 controller.

rick

Infineon works well, I'm using one with my MAC Shanghai.

And it is programmable.

there must be differences in diferent vintages of infineon controllers. i just tried a BMC V1 front hub i had lying around with #1 a Crystalyte V1 12 fet analog controller with 4110 fets, #2 a Kelly KEB48221 controller and a 12 fet infineon controller i bought from ecrazyman. no- load all ran the BMC hub to roughly the same RPM. so i would say that the original BMC issue was solved by the infineon controllers.

rick

Mark_A_W said:

And it is programmable.

I jumped the gun.

My 18FET Infineon ran my MAC fine on the bench, and in testing.

But real world I'm getting low speed shudder and it's only drawing 7A while shuddering instead of 30A.

I will find out in a week or so if it is specific to my controller.

Mark_A_W said:
Mark_A_W said:

And it is programmable.

I jumped the gun.

My 18FET Infineon ran my MAC fine on the bench, and in testing.

But real world I'm getting low speed shudder and it's only drawing 7A while shuddering instead of 30A.

I will find out in a week or so if it is specific to my controller.

The shudder issue is fixed. It needed more phase current - note we had reduced my current limits previously as I am using an 18 FET controller when the 12 FET one would do (it was easy to source).

So, my recommendation is for the Infineon (mine is an 846 version):

- Works at high RPM (80kmh + )
- Programmable via a USB to Serial adapter
- Speed switches (programmable)
- Did I mention it's programmable?

Back