BMS wiring diagram with pic need help before I blow another

Spacey

100 kW
Can someone help me with the positioning of the sensor wires?

In the diagram below it looks like the sensor wires go on the negative terminals on the cells with the last sensor going on the positive on the last cell....... But the headway pack with this bms arrived with the first sensor wire going to the negative terminal on the first cell and the all the positives in the pack. This seems out of odds with the wiring diagram or am I reading the diagram wrong?

Don't want to break yet another bms.

Spacey said:
Starting to think that maybe ... just maybe I am at fault and wiring up my BMS's wrong.

Here is one of my BMS wiring diagrams sent by Michael at Evassemble:
bmsconnection.jpg

This is how I have been wiring it up (probably wrong):

Step 1: Hook up the B- on BMS to the Negative on main Headway pack (Negative first cell)

Step 2: BMS Sensor wire "0" also goes to the same cell as Step 1 i.e first Negative on pack

Step 3: The rest of the sensor wires go to the Positive on each cell until all done

Step 4: P- is the charging Negative terminal

Step 5: Out- is for the main discharge negative out

This was how my Headway pack arrived wired up but I get confused as some of the light come up red as the pack nears the end of charge.... the charger then stops until the red lights go out (slowly discharging the high cells I guess).... then the charger springs into life again until the cell lights come on again then.....it stops never to restart. Seems it only ever restarts once.

I thought that it would do this constantly until the pack was balanced.

That looks like one of those cheap BMS guys I tried twice. for 40 bucks you can get a nice Signalab BMS from ping battery and follow the thread of what I went thru and all the help I had. I would not install that BMS. Whatch it SMOKE. Go for a great Signalab BMS they have 2 types small and large. dedending on amp output.
and they have great chargers for a super price.

michaels diagram is correct. do you have 17 wires going to the sense wire plug? if so then use the lowest one on the left side and run it to the negative of #1 just like the diagram. if you don't have 17 wires, then call time out.

Brilliant you have set my mind at rest, I have answered the other topic that you kindly replied to but will put the my reply here as well as it is relevant :D
dnmun said:
why not just run with a 48V BMS since then you can use a regular 48V charger?

Because even with the working BMS that I have, when the charger stops you can see several red lights come on the BMS....all good.......then when they go out the charger starts up again.....great working as it should............

But that's it, no more discharge the charge cycles. I don't know if it's because of the BMS I use but leaving the charger on all night I never hear it start up again after the first restart so cells not really getting balanced. I just thought that for me not having the hassle of a BMS would be fine as long as I leave 10 to 20% in the pack on discharge and then maybe balance the pack manually every couple of months.

Spacey i just checked the sense wires on my (dead) BMS, sense wire '0' to the neg on cell 1, sense wire 1 to the pos on cell 1, then 2 on pos cell2...3...4...

I having a real problem with the same cells and BMS. I have 16s 48v headway, I have wired it up twice and both times when I come to put the 14 and 3 wire plugs into the BMS it sparks fizzes and smells.

What is it that make one cell the first cell?

Think this BMS is now blown but I have no idea how to test it.

Cells all seem fine I hooked up the battery with no BMS too the bike and its seems fine. All 16 cells read 3.19v right now and have never been charged by me.

So do I not bother with a BMS or do I buy another one and try not to fry it?

Someone really needs to draw a simple diagram for wiring these horrible things with 17 wires all the same color and no instructions.

You may be able to tell I'm super pissed off! NEVER BUY FROM EV! I know you guy s know that but I had to find out the hard way.

These are the instructions I found and followed, EV sent me the same instructions a day later in very hard to understand English.

"BMS set up for 16 cell headway battery pack

Power cables:

P- Power cable goes to Negative Charge
Out- Power cable goes to Negative Discharge
B- power cable goes to first Negative Cell (cell 0)

Cell numbering goes from 0 = first cell but Negative, 1 = first cell but Positive, 2 = second cell positive, 3 = third cell positive etc.....

On connector with 14 wires, the wire nearest the B- on the PCB is the wire that goes to the first cell Negative Cell 0. The next wire goes to the first cell Positive cell 1. Then each wire in turn goes to the positives on each cell."

Still no idea what I'm doing wrong, I have truly been stopped at the last jump. Can anyone help?

Like I have always said.... The BMS from Evassemble are rubbish broken crap. I have had 3 of their BMS go wrong before they even got to be fitted on the bike.

Followed the instructions and bam ...nothing...no output no power. The 3rd was a capacitor based BMs that over charged the 16th cell to over 4.2 volts and also did not work. Oh and no wiring for this diagram was ever given to me even though I requested it many many times after having spent thousands of dollars with Michael at Evessemble.

If you want decent gear that works look up Cellman for battery stuff and people like Methods for motor stuff. Trusted people who actually know their product and care about ebikes.

The smart money is a signalb bms 40 or 60 amp. 35usd 65usd or so.Hvc- balance and lvc per cell, where is your rubber. What controler and what amps with what motor ? If you use with in range the headways have room. So how does it work ?

Back