BMSBattery/ECityPower Experience

4/15/2010 - My order arrives, but I'm too busy on taxes to even look at it :)

I finally opened it up. Initial comments:

Everything is *heavy*... I mean the disc brakes are quite hefty, the controller is heavier than a comparable ecrazyman, the 3lbs hub motor can't be 3lbs.

I don't have a good scale but will report back when I get to use one.

Throttle looks OK. The tncscooters throttles I originally bought were total garbage, since then I've been buying from ebikes.ca, which are excellent.

fitek, congratulations on receiving your order! I figured I would check bmsbattery again, and their website no longer works.

Since you received your order, I figured I would check with bmsbattery and see if they had motors in stock for immediate shipping. Unfortunately bmsbattery.com doesn't work anymore. I then checked ecitypower on ebay and found the motor listings so I sent my question through ebay asking if they had 2 rear motors in stock for immediate shipping. They only responded with "you will need our special controllers". Now their ebay store doesn't list any motors at all.

The weight of this motor is a big disappointment. I really need a lightweight motor for the Maker Faire, and now I have to scramble.

I did try the controller out that with my Hyperion RC motor, and it works, no weird behavior like the v1 ecrazyman (cutting out at high throttle, rough operation at low speed). It was actually the smoothest setup of a 3 phase motor I have ever had. It worked on the first try!

The controller works with the hall sensors connected or disconnected. The low end torque is poor without the hall sensors, but no worse than the sensorless ecrazyman I have.

It has a bunch of connectors hanging off whose purpose is unknown to me. There is a diagram on the bottom of the case, in Chinese, which I think names each connector.

If anyone in the SF bay area has a 36v Infineon Ecrazyman we could try hooking up to the Hyperion, I'd love to compare. I have a 72v Infineon which I am not willing to hack apart because it's on my commute bike.

Kilowatt ,

Please can you help me I also bought from BMS Battery a 36v 20a back in Dec 2009 that uses the 40 pieces of 6665143 cells . Got to say it a cracker of a battery for range , but I am having a few matching problems the controller I bought was also BMS Batterys 130 BOX 12 mosfets controller with a Bafang QSWXK . and a 5k resistive throttle as I could never work out how the Hall throttle would connect .

The problem I have is if I apply the throttle to quick there is a vibration and screech from the motor and then the 30a fuse in the battery blows ! Put a new fuse in and away I go again . Could it be a case of the Controller rated at 36V/500W/25A is allowing to much current to the motor as the motor is only 36v 250w , would a lower current controller be a better balance ?

Any Ideas ?

I would add that I have done about 3000miles on this set up and it works fine . It would just be nice to get it perfect .

Eugene

BMSbattery.com is up again.

I ordered a 36V10AH Li-Ion battery from Mandy Li @ bmsbattery/ecitypower. It came in fairly good time although the first tracking number they gave me didn't work and it took some difficult communication before I got another one out of them that worked. So I dunno if the first one was a fake tracking number but it ended up arriving in good time.

This is the webpage for the 5Ah/10Ah version of my battery. The price listed is for the 5Ah version.
http://www.bmsbattery.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2_26&products_id=17

I was told it could do 20A max continuous with a 10 second burst of 35A but it came with a 30A fuse in it. They just told me they put the wrong fuse in. The battery seems to be working fine though.

I did a quick voltage drop test: at 20 amps the voltage dropped 1.6V, from 40.4V to 38.8V. Not sure how good that is but it seems pretty good...

{My battery has no BMS, Not sure if this is cause for concern... hopefully not.}
Edit: The battery does have a well concealed BMS. See last picture.

I'm very pleased with this battery so far as it should fit my requirements very well. Light, Removable, Lockable, should last 600 cycles?, almost powerful enough, enough watt hours, and adds no unsprung weight to the wheels of my folding full suspension bike.

DSC00240.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00238.jpg

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

The Stig said:
My battery has no BMS, Not sure if this is cause for concern... hopefully not.
It IS cause for concern, you could potentially kill the pack stone dead on the first outing if you overdischarge it. With no BMS the low c rate cells could get quite out of balance, leading to over charging some cells and then over discharging others (assuming they're only relying on the controller LVC)

It looks like they've taken a step backwards with the colour scheme of their new site!

Without a BMS, how will you monitor and balance that battery? Can you get at each cell?

31v is where you want it if using li ion with a recommended lvc of 3v/cell.
Less than that is going to shorten pack life.
The problem with pack level / controller LVCs is that one weak cell could hit well below 3v before the others and continually doing this will kill the pack well ahead of time.

Yeah I'd say it does too on closer inspection. I didn't look to closely before, I assumed he'd pulled it apart and found none.
Often they use plain fibreglass (or what ever) strips to add a bit of protection/structure to the packs but in this pic the fact that the charger port has seperate blue and red wires going to it and disappearing under that foam and then the main -ve discharge lead comes back out of there I'd say thats almost certainly where the BMS is. Wrapping a BMS in foam isnt the best of ideas for dissapating heat though!
DSC00239.jpg

I finally decided to go for it and placed my order may 11th for a hub and controller expecting to wait and wait. Picked the USPS option.
I emailed them 2 days ago to ask for an estimate and received the following yesterday.
"Jack Xie to me
show details May 18

Thank you! We will ship tomorrow.
Best regards

Sincerely yours,
Fangqing Xie

Company Name: Ecity Power Co., Ltd
Address: 6th Floor,Ecity Power R&D Center,#1128 Tongda Lu, Laozhuang,Tonghe,Baiyun District,Guangzhou,China"

10 minutes ago the post office lady drives up and hands me a box with my motor and controller in it. So same day delivery hong kong to texas usa woo!! I guess we will ship tommorow is their standard answer. Maybe I should ask them again today to confirm they shipped today and see what they say :lol:
The question now is does the 16" 24v sticker on the motor actually mean anything or would I get the same motor/winding no matter what options I chose.

Has anyone tried the 48v 10ah lifepo4 battery from them? They have a very tempting price.

Ok i'm just wondering if this is to be expected. Order received on may 19th which is when they said they were shipping it and today I got an email saying they shipped it on the 20th.
"05/11/2010 Processing
05/11/2010 Processing PayPal status: Completed @ 10:08:27 May 11, 2010 PDT
Trans ID:
Amount: USD
05/18/2010 Handling
05/24/2010 Shipped 20th,May,2010shipped by USPS3DR
tracking number:
From USPS
Label/Receipt Number:
Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmationâ„¢

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on May 22, 2010 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later. "

Anyone else get shipment notification after arrival saying they shipped it after you got it?

I tested the motor today and it is getting just above 300rpms no load with 8S thundersky cells. So the RPMs match what some other sites list for their 20" hubs and at the 24v I need so far so good.

Edit 5/26 from USPS
"Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inbound Out of Customs UNITED STATES 05/24/10 8:32pm

Inbound Into Customs UNITED STATES 05/24/10 8:32pm

Processed through Sort SAN FRANCISCO CA 94128 05/24/10 8:19pm
Facility

Shipment Accepted SAN FRANCISCO CA 94188 05/24/10 5:01pm

Electronic Shipping SAN FRANCISCO CA 94188 05/22/10 3:23am
Info Received'
No response from BMSbattery.. so maybe if you were order #7 your stuff is on the way?

Ok so last week I had written BMSBattery to ask when my order was to be shipped. They wrote me back and said we'll ship it tommorow and I ended up receiving it on that very tommorow. Since I was reading a thread about someone that kept being told we'll ship tommorow I figured it was a canned response and they hadn't even looked into it.
I then receive a shipping notification and thought they sent me someone elses tracking number by mistake since I never got one originally when they first shipped the order.
Today I get
How are you doing?
Thank you very much for your business.
we have double shipped the goods you have ordered on the shop on 13/05/2010 and 20/05/2010 unintentionally.

Do you need them?To save our loss,would you pay for the addtional goods if you need them?

If I was really satisfied and thought I'd use another I wouldn't mind but I'm not entirely happy with their hub motor at the moment. The phase wiring is labeled 18 but looks alot smaller and the hall wires look to be 30awg or so. The RPM it puts out is consistent with the 20" EZEE specs but perhaps Cute 20" is slower which means the 16" is different but it isn't that much different anyhow probably.

I guess I could put a for sale ad up for them but they'd have to give me a discount else so I could pass it on since why wouldnt' someone order a new one of their own direct since it only takes a week to get here.

How much does it cost to send a hub and controller back to china anyhow?

This happen to anyone else?

The more pertinent question would be how long would a refund take for a return to China. My suggestion would be to sell it all and get somewhat close to whole on the deal, or out only the original shipping. Being out shipping both ways and waiting for a refund isn't a good position.

PM me the details of what you have and your total cost and a breakdown of shipping and price they want for the 2nd pack. Maybe I'll make you a happy camper real quick and easy.

John

I don't think the OP was double charged however.

If the OP returns the order, the Seller will be out shipping both ways because it was their error. You could probably request a prepaid return shipping label from the Seller.

You could probably also offer to pay a little more than the value of the goods less the cost of two way shipping, since the Seller will have to eat that in any case.

Well you have a couple choices...

Legally if you are mailed something in the US without ordering it, its yours to keep free of charge. Moral or not I'll let you decide.

So you can
A) keep it as a free gift, and resell it. (The legal option)
B) get them prepay shipping back to them (The probably what you should do option)
C) attempt to sell it and send them the cash (Being way nicer than you need to option)

In no circumstance should you allow them to charge you at any time for the miss-shipped pack. If they attempt to, you should immediately dispute the charges. Even sending the item back is really nicer than you have to be, but make sure you're not out of pocket at any time. I wouldn't even ship it back to them without them fronting the shipping money. Who knows when you'll see your cash if they promise to reimburse you.

Correct didn't actually charge me twice just shipped it twice so no refund would be neccessary. I'm going to see if they'll cut some kind of deal. I dont' think having the second hub is worth ~$150 and I may not even be using their controller so two definatly wouldnt' be of any use.
Having the second hub around will make it easier to cut down the axles as much as posssible if it looks like it'll make them clear the cranks which I think it will :twisted: (will measure a few times more first)

Plus I was thinking about eventually ordering 10s headways for an 8s pack so it would be nice not to say neener neener thanks for the free hub. :lol:

I see alot of stories throught eh google about people getting double shipped from amazon or sony and them just saying keep it or donate it but was wondering what anyone had done with ebike stuff.

Back