Burned the fuse in battery

Cyclomania

10 kW
Hi

I think I blew the fuse (?) in my ebike battery riding quite hard uphill with a slightly too strong controller perhaps.

Looks like in the picture. Any idea on what and how to change this? It is kind of melted into the black and green there. Can I just cut it off with a knife and solder on something different? And if so, what should I use?

Thanks

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2022-08-05 kl. 11.58.08.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-08-05 kl. 11.58.08.png
    623.5 KB · Views: 858
  • Skärmavbild 2022-08-05 kl. 11.58.04.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-08-05 kl. 11.58.04.png
    651.2 KB · Views: 858
  • Skärmavbild 2022-08-05 kl. 11.58.00.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-08-05 kl. 11.58.00.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 858
  • Skärmavbild 2022-08-05 kl. 11.57.55.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-08-05 kl. 11.57.55.png
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 858
Just a passing thought:

If you bypass the blown fuse without another fuse, and something is really wrong (not just a temporary overload), you can start a wiring or battery fire....

amberwolf said:
How do you plan to change the fuse when it blows on a ride?
I missed that part. All this time I thought the OP was using the fuse for short circuit protection, not current limiting. That’s a pretty poor solution for that purpose.

amberwolf said:
E-driver_ said:
amberwolf said:
How do you plan to change the fuse when it blows on a ride?

Just cut it off. Solder on a new one.
That's only possible on a ride if you either carry a portable soldering iron capable of enough heat to do the work, or you happen to be close enough to an outlet to use your wall-powered iron (and carry that with you on every ride).

A fuseholder would make repair much easier. ;)

The disadvantage of the fuseholder is that it can cause the problem you started with in this thread....

Yeah but I am thinking that if it goes now. I will just bike home without electricity and solder on a new one. Maybe a bit harder than with a fuse holder. But as you said, with the fuse holder the first problem can arise, and then I would have to change the holder anyway.

But perhaps when I get the other one, more solid as voltron said, I could use that for another battery.

What was most neat about this solution is it does not take up much space inside the battery cover. I am pretty happy with the result(so far).

FWIW, the bolt on ANL / etc solutions would probably fit in a similar space, but not require a holder, and have a better connection and be a more reliable fuse for the application, and allow you to change the fuse while out riding. See this post
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=116968#p1726233
in the thread already linked previously for you for a visual example of a MIDI version of such a fuse. It is also in this thread here
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=117200#p1727284

I use a version of that type, bolted into my main battery cable, on all the packs for my SB Cruiser trike; it just has heatshrink around it to protect the connections from any potential shorts that could occur.

Voltron said:
amberwolf said:
Just a passing thought:

If you bypass the blown fuse without another fuse, and something is really wrong (not just a temporary overload), you can start a wiring or battery fire....

Yup, the key phrase there was "limp it home". Lol

You guys mean if I have no fuse, right? Then that could happen. So they are always good to have I guess.

amberwolf said:
I use a version of that type, bolted into my main battery cable, on all the packs for my SB Cruiser trike; it just has heatshrink around it to protect the connections from any potential shorts that could occur.

You have this type outside of the battery case?

it's similar to the one previously linked, but larger, since mine is for higher current/etc:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&p=1263618&#p1263618

Back