Circuit breaker blew like a fuse

Zambam

1 kW
This is on my Fly 7 E Scooter/ moped that I bought new about 2 years ago. It has a 1500W motor and 60V 29 AH battery. No problems for 2200 kilometers till last week when I was 2 blocks from home going down hill making a turn and lost power, dash instrument display went dark. Recycled the key a few times to no avail, bike totally dead. Pushed it the 2 blocks home which wasn't bad on the flat . Going up the slight hill to the house was no fun with the heavy weight of the bike (guess 200 lbs?).

Checked the battery @ 62V, not dead. My scooter has provisions for 2 batteries with a 2 pole circuit breaker, one under the feet, the other under the seat. I have the cheaper one battery option (one under the feet, a heavy lead acid battery).

Checking continuity of the circuit breaker with an ohmeter I found the one for the lead acid battery was open circuit and could not be reset. It blew like a fuse! To get it to run again, I swapped the wire to the good breaker.

Local ebike shops want $50 for a new breaker. Since I think these breakers are crap, acting like an expensive fuse, why buy another? I want to replace it with an inline fuse. There are no markings on the breaker that suggests its amperage rating. For a 1500W 60V motor, what size fuse should I use? What kind of fuse do you recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_2576.jpeg
    IMG_2576.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 27
1500W / 60V = 25A

That’s nominal power, I imagine. If your system will pull up to 2000W, you’re working with 33amps. If your bike has a display that shows real time amps or watts being drawn, you don’t have to guess at how much power you are using.

Sizing the fuse depends on whether you need this fuse to protect the BMS or the battery or other components. If it’s just a fail safe / back up to protect in the case of a short, I’d start with 30 or 40amps. If there’s a component you’re trying to protect with the fuse, pick a fuse that’s under the max rating of your weakest component.

Also, I know some people use those breakers as an on/off switch, and they get actuated all the time. Some breakers will tolerate that, but others aren’t meant to serve as switches and they wear out.

Good luck! Keep us updated with what you do and how it works.

This is on my Fly 7 E Scooter/ moped that I bought new about 2 years ago. It has a 1500W motor and 60V 29 AH battery. No problems for 2200 kilometers till last week when I was 2 blocks from home going down hill making a turn and lost power, dash instrument display went dark. Recycled the key a few times to no avail, bike totally dead. Pushed it the 2 blocks home which wasn't bad on the flat . Going up the slight hill to the house was no fun with the heavy weight of the bike (guess 200 lbs?).

Checked the battery @ 62V, not dead. My scooter has provisions for 2 batteries with a 2 pole circuit breaker, one under the feet, the other under the seat. I have the cheaper one battery option (one under the feet, a heavy lead acid battery).

Checking continuity of the circuit breaker with an ohmeter I found the one for the lead acid battery was open circuit and could not be reset. It blew like a fuse! To get it to run again, I swapped the wire to the good breaker.
Not sure I understand the design / wiring of the system. Generally there wouldn't be an unused breaker designed into a system, so what had been wired to the breaker before, or was it really just installed but not used?

Regarding breaker usage/design, they (like fuses) are made for a maximum voltage and a trip current vs time.

If they are used with a voltage exceeding their rating, they may not be able to break the arc as they trip, so it is like having an arc welder running inside the breaker, which tends to melt and destroy things in there. Sometimes this results in breaking the circuit by blowing like a fuse, so it can't be reset. Sometimes this results in keeping the circuit closed so it doens't protect anything. Sometimes it results in keeping the arc going until the breaker itself actually catches on fire.

An AC type breaker isn't designed to break a DC current, and often can't do so, the arc just continues with the above possible consequences.

It is unfortunately very common for the wrong kind or rating of breaker to be used in small EV stuff; AC breakers instead of DC, or 12v / 24v breakers used in 48v+ systems, etc. Sometimes they still do their job, but there is no guarantee that they can or will at any particular event.

Another common problem is breakers installed in a way that their little trip handle touches something (like the compartment cover, especially something a person stands or sits on and deforms downward) so they can't actually trip like they're supposed to, and are held partly closed, so the arc burns them even though they would have tripped properly otherwise. (though a properly designed breaker will trip completely even if it's handle can't move correctly)

Breakers, fuses, etc are rated for a certain amount of current over a certain amount of time; this chart is available on the manufacturer site for hte specific model / series. For instance, a "60A" breaker might trip at 60A but only after an hour. At 65A it might take half that. At 70A it might take a minute or few. At 100A it might only take a few seconds. Etc.

Local ebike shops want $50 for a new breaker. Since I think these breakers are crap, acting like an expensive fuse, why buy another? I want to replace it with an inline fuse. There are no markings on the breaker that suggests its amperage rating. For a 1500W 60V motor, what size fuse should I use? What kind of fuse do you recommend?

You'll need a fuse rated to protect the wiring and other parts that lie beyond it (downstream of the battery); that's what it is for. If something shorts beyond it, it blows and prevents a fire.

So which one you need depends on your wire's capabilities, and any other parts you are trying to protect. The fuse must be rated less than the least-capable part of the circuit. (if it isn't, then that least-capable part of the circuit will either fail catastrophically first or act like a fuse before the fuse does, in the worst-case event).

If the system is 1500w, then nominal current at 60v average battery voltage is 25A. The system may draw more than that under heavy loads; if you want the fuse to blow in those cases, then size it for the nominal current and if heavy loads are sustained it would then blow after some time (you have to check the manufacturer data sheet for the fuse to find out how much time at how much current). If you size it too small it will keep blowing every time you use the system hard, if you size it too large it will not blow when you need it to and wiring/etc can be damaged.

Don't forget that the fuse holder design is important to how well your whole circuit will work--cheap inline glass fuse holders for instance rely on crappy springs that cause a lot of resistance and heat up the holder, and often deform the plastic and make the problem even worse over time.

With blade fuses (like automotive types), the clips holding them in often have the same problem (and those fuses are not rated for the voltage of your system either).

Bolt on fuses like Bussman ANL / etc will be better, as you can crimp ring terminals to your wire, and bolt the fuse directly to them, or you can get bolt-on fuse holders that can be mounted in place of the breaker, etc., if space allows.

No matter what you get, make *sure* you read the manufacturer spec sheet for the fuse to be sure it will work the way you want, and is rated for the voltage your system will have, and will blow at the current you need it to within a safe time limit before damage is done, but will *not* blow under normal usage conditions.

Amberwolf, good point not using blade type fuse with plastic holder and use bolt on types.
I put a 4 gauge extension to the circuit breaker to bring it out so I can put a clamp ammeter on it. The highest draw going up a very steep hill wide open throttle is 34 amps.

I will order a bunch of these 40 amp bolt on fuses https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832800997533.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.21.237c3200CpJytX&algo_pvid=ae00367b-100e-4fc1-8e43-c6cc0458ad12&algo_exp_id=ae00367b-100e-4fc1-8e43-c6cc0458ad12-10&pdp_npi=3@dis!USD!0.90!0.83!!!0.90!!@2101df8a16907512763044003ea764!66841566811!sea!US!3042880182&curPageLogUid=zBHtSkcDnE2F
punch holes in the spade lugs on the wires that go to the circuit breaker and mount the fuse with nut and bolt. To insulate, I will put it inside a section of bicycle inner tube and zip tie it.

Attachments

• IMG_2586.jpeg
    IMG_2586.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
Not sure I understand the design / wiring of the system. Generally there wouldn't be an unused breaker designed into a system, so what had been wired to the breaker before, or was it really just installed but not used?

-----------------------------
There are provisions for 2 batteries of different size and shape. Only one battery is being used at a given time. When one battery runs low, you have to pop the seat up to flip the breaker to select the other battery. The dual breaker has an interlock that trips the other breaker such that both breakers can't be on at the same time.

Ah. I suppose that makes for a simple safety system if the batteries are at different voltages, and have separate charge/discharge port BMSes (instead of common port).

Keep in mind those fuses are only rated for 32V, so that's all they are guaranteed to break a circuit for, assuming the manufacturers have actually designed them correctly for that and tested them to verify they'll break that voltage's arc.

If they were actual Bussman or other well-known brand names with known levels of QC and consistency, you could be sure they would do what they say they will, and have a manufacturer spec sheet that shows you a known current-vs-time for how they'll blow, and what voltage they will definitely still break the arc of.

Your system is 60v nominal, which goes up higher than that, so any fuse rated less than that may or may not break that arc when they blow.

The batteries
Ah. I suppose that makes for a simple safety system if the batteries are at different voltages, and have separate charge/discharge port BMSes (instead of common port).

Keep in mind those fuses are only rated for 32V, so that's all they are guaranteed to break a circuit for, assuming the manufacturers have actually designed them correctly for that and tested them to verify they'll break that voltage's arc.

If they were actual Bussman or other well-known brand names with known levels of QC and consistency, you could be sure they would do what they say they will, and have a manufacturer spec sheet that shows you a known current-vs-time for how they'll blow, and what voltage they will definitely still break the arc of.

Your system is 60v nominal, which goes up higher than that, so any fuse rated less than that may or may not break that arc when they blow.
Where do you find DC rated fuses for 60V and above? Is arcing really a possibility with the 32V fuses I ordered? When the fuse blows, at 60V, what width gap is needed for an arc to occur?

One odd thing I notice with this moped is that with the key off and I connect the battery, I see and hear a loud spark. I assume it's from charging the electrolytic capacitors in the controller. What I don't understand is that if I remove the connection to the battery and reconnect it immediately, it will spark again. That means the caps got discharged immediately once the connection is removed but where did all that energy go? I can do that many times and it sparks every time.

Yes, the 2 batteries have their own charge ports and discharge ports (the dual interlocked circuit breaker). I have the single lead acid battery (cheaper) option which has no BMS. The Lithium option would have been $900 more for a 45 AH battery. Lead acid suits me fine. I get 35 to 40 miles riding it gently with no danger of fire (unless the fuse I am about to install start one)

Last edited:
Where do you find DC rated fuses for 60V and above?
Some results show up just looking for that phrase (most of the results are not relevant) DC rated fuses for 60V and above - Google Search

Bussman and other companies make such fuses; Mouser, Digikey, Grainger, etc carry them, and they all have online chat assistants that can probably help you find the one you want. Sometimes you may find a large gap in voltage between the low-voltage stuff and the next available voltage group. For instance, the little fuses in my multimeters are typically rated only for low DC voltages, but there's one in my Fluke that's rated at something like 1000VDC (at a dozen amps or so, IIRC)...but it's a lot more expensive than the simple low voltage fuses. :( (So I try to never hook up the meter wrong and pop it :lol: :oops: ).

Is arcing really a possibility with the 32V fuses I ordered?

Yes, it is a possibility with any fuse not *guaranteed* to operate at or above the voltage that will be used on the system. For a 60v system, that's a minimum of about 67 to 72v (full charge for 16s to 17s Li-Ion packs; other chemistries may have different max voltages). That's about twice what the rating on these fuses is.

It's pretty likely that for some percentage above the rating, they'll still probably work. 200% above? Maybe...I wouldn't suggest betting fire prevention on it.

But in this specific case, because the fuses in question have no specification sheet with limits, and curve charts for how they blow at what voltage and current and duration, there is no way to know if there is, or isn't, without actual real-world testing. Can't even tell how long it will take them to blow at what current level. You can guess that *if* (no way to know for sure) they are made of identical (not similar) metal alloys, with identical (not similar) physical design, size, thickness, etc. of the fuse metal as a brand-name that does have a spec sheet with this info, they will probably behave the same. But none of that info is available for them without testing, measuring, etc.

They might work fine. They might not. If you have several you can test to see at what voltage and current they fail to break the circuit, if you want to be sure.

Even brand name ones with a spec sheet are only *guaranteed* to break the circuit under the conditions listed on that....outside those conditions, it's a "maybe" or "no".

When the fuse blows, at 60V, what width gap is needed for an arc to occur?

I don't know the measurements; you can probably find how to calculate the "air gap" using the dielectric of air vs the voltage.

It may also depend on the current flowing at the time--the higher the current, the more ionized plasma will exist, and the easier it is for current to keep flowing.

One odd thing I notice with this moped is that with the key off and I connect the battery, I see and hear a loud spark. I assume it's from charging the electrolytic capacitors in the controller. What I don't understand is that if I remove the connection to the battery and reconnect it immediately, it will spark again. That means the caps got discharged immediately once the connection is removed but where did all that energy go? I can do that many times and it sparks every time.

The caps are probably small enough that they can only supply a tiny amount of energy to keep running the controller's LVPS that powers the MCU, motor halls, throttle, etc., and if there's a display they are also backfeeding it's LVPS for it's MCU, backlight, etc. It's not much current, but it's enough to draw out all the usable energy of the caps pretty quickly.

You can look over at a post I just made in another thread about precharge resistor size to see how the math works for time of charging; the inverse is true for discharging time vs load on them.

It also covers some of the breaker/fuse info.

Yes, the 2 batteries have their own charge ports and discharge ports (the dual interlocked circuit breaker). I have the single lead acid battery (cheaper) option which has no BMS. The Lithium option would have been $900 more for a 45 AH battery. Lead acid suits me fine. I get 35 to 40 miles riding it gently with no danger of fire (unless the fuse I am about to install start one)
If they are lead-acid, they dont' have any ports at all, because they have no BMS (the ports are specifically part of the BMS design). ;)

So the breaker setup isn't actually needed, and would be easier on the batteries and probably give you a bit more range if you just directly paralleled both battery packs. (best is to parallel them at the individual battery level and the main + and - of the series set then just connects to your system, with one fuse and/or breaker between the main + and your controller/etc.

Such a one-pack-in-use-at-a-time breaker setup is only "required" for safety on a system with a BMS on each pack that has separate C & D ports, and that's only required because the way BMSes with FETs to control C & D work--they're not exaclty like switches, so they still allow current flow back thru them when off, in one direction (the other they prevent current flow). So two paralleled packs in this case (paralleled separately at their C ports and at their D ports) can leak back thru the other port when one of the ports is turned off to prevent overdischarge or overcharge, and so the BMS isn't actually able to protect against either one.

Lead-acid doesn't have any protection outside the charger (HVC) and controller (LVC) so it doesn't matter if they're directly paralleled all the time.

Same C & D port BMSed packs don't matter because the ports are setup in a way that prevents that leakage / backflow.

The caps are probably small enough that they can only supply a tiny amount of energy to keep running the controller's LVPS that powers the MCU, motor halls, throttle, etc., and if there's a display they are also backfeeding it's LVPS for it's MCU, backlight, etc. It's not much current, but it's enough to draw out all the usable energy of the caps pretty quickly.

You can look over at a post I just made in another thread about precharge resistor size to see how the math works for time of charging; the inverse is true for discharging time vs load on them.

It also covers some of the breaker/fuse info.

The electrolytic caps are 330 UF 100V. There are 4 of them. Will look at your post later. Thanks!

IMG_0628.jpegIMG_0622.jpeg

If they are lead-acid, they dont' have any ports at all, because they have no BMS (the ports are specifically part of the BMS design). ;)

So the breaker setup isn't actually needed, and would be easier on the batteries and probably give you a bit more range if you just directly paralleled both battery packs. (best is to parallel them at the individual battery level and the main + and - of the series set then just connects to your system, with one fuse and/or breaker between the main + and your controller/etc.

Such a one-pack-in-use-at-a-time breaker setup is only "required" for safety on a system with a BMS on each pack that has separate C & D ports, and that's only required because the way BMSes with FETs to control C & D work--they're not exaclty like switches, so they still allow current flow back thru them when off, in one direction (the other they prevent current flow). So two paralleled packs in this case (paralleled separately at their C ports and at their D ports) can leak back thru the other port when one of the ports is turned off to prevent overdischarge or overcharge, and so the BMS isn't actually able to protect against either one.

Lead-acid doesn't have any protection outside the charger (HVC) and controller (LVC) so it doesn't matter if they're directly paralleled all the time.

Same C & D port BMSed packs don't matter because the ports are setup in a way that prevents that leakage / backflow.
My Fly 7 scooter/ moped did not come with any documentation. They are not available. How to operate the various features of the scooter was provided verbally by the dealer I purchased it from. I took this video of the breaker operation this morning.

Last edited:
Went to the dealer this morning to ask about the "breaker". Was told it's not a breaker, just a battery selection switch. Wondering if the sparking inside the switch cycling it on/ off eventually burned it out?

Seems to be a lot of angst about fuse dc ratings.

I’ve found single pole type b/c MCBs reliable up to 100vdc, and don’t see how you could beat them for five dollars apiece, but if it’s really important to you and space is at a premium then the obvious solution is use fuse wire, which has the added benefit of costing next to nothing.

Outside the realm of gas sealed enclosures, the dc voltage rating of any fuse is surely going to be almost exclusively a function of separation distance between metallic components. You can use as long a length of fuse wire as you need for any voltage. You’ll want to contain the molten wire spatter if/when it blows, but no need for a fancy glass inspection tube.

Seems to be a lot of angst about fuse dc ratings.

I’ve found single pole type b/c MCBs reliable up to 100vdc, and don’t see how you could beat them for five dollars apiece, but if it’s really important to you and space is at a premium then the obvious solution is use fuse wire, which has the added benefit of costing next to nothing.

Outside the realm of gas sealed enclosures, the dc voltage rating of any fuse is surely going to be almost exclusively a function of separation distance between metallic components. You can use as long a length of fuse wire as you need for any voltage. You’ll want to contain the molten wire spatter if/when it blows, but no need for a fancy glass inspection tube.
Yup, in the end the theory doesn't apply. At ebike voltage levels, and ebike battery current capabilities, there's just not enough current available to sustain any kind of arc at the voltages we typically use. There's a few forums dedicated specifically to arc flash discussions, that discuss both AC and DC with lots of good info

Those $5 breakers work great as a switch, but they won't provide protection or trip reliably if they are AC.

I was dubious about MCBs at first, but found they tripped in my test circuit every time i dead shorted them, starting with a 12v car battery, then at 18v, 36v, 54v, 72v, and 90v. I didn’t bother disassembling the tested MCBs to examine the contacts, just binned them and used fresh ones.

Since an MCB is only a secondary protection to BMS overcurrent functionality, I don’t get hung up about it. If I was a fanatic, i’d use two of them in series.

And with modern BMS and controllers with shutdown/enable pins, the MCB needn’t be used as a switch, purely as an overcurrent protection.

It’s there as a switch if needed, but I avoid using it for that purpose, because switching high currents is necessarily destructive. I figure that expensive switches with chunky contacts and powerful springs will buy a longer mean time before complete failure, but in the meantime the contacts will be carbonising and creating resistance.

It’s there as a switch if needed, but I avoid using it for that purpose, because switching high currents is necessarily destructive. I figure that expensive switches with chunky contacts and powerful springs will buy a longer mean time before complete failure, but in the meantime the contacts will be carbonising and creating resistance.
There isn't any current flowing. I have it on my connector box and use it to turn everything off when I park the bike. I never tried short circuiting, but had 110A flowing without it tripping, so three times the AC rating. The button on my handlebars turns off the controller for emergencies. I screwed up and replaced it with another (smaller) 40A breaker, that turned out to be DC. It doesn't trip with short bursts up to ~70A, but will trip at ~50A continuous which sucks, so on my to do list.
Did you notice those $5 breakers are more like $10 now?

Here's the autopsy pics of my first breaker/switch. It was actually $6. The contacts were slightly misaligned causing some discoloration, but after thousands of actuations, there was no pitting of the contacts.

They’re not precise enough for overcurrent, rather than short-circuit, protection. You could narrow in on an overcurrent limit by studying the graphs and picking one with the most suitable rating / trip curve.

I leave overcurrent protection to BMS and controller. MCB is purely for short-circuit protection.

As to where to buy …

Maybe Walmart?

$7 delivered to your door.

They’re AUD$6 at my local hardware store, which is equivalent to USD$4.

Any generic Chinese made MCB should do. I imagine specialist electrical wholesalers only stock pricey name brands … ABB, Schneider, Siemens, etc

I can pretty well guarantee a short circuit will trip them. Obviously you should perform your own tests though.

The current rating can be well below what you use. You might want it lower, so that they trip faster. Type B seem the most common amongst cheapies, which trip at 3-5 times the rated current. So in a setup running 60A peaks, for example, you might choose a 20A MCB.

There isn't any current flowing. I have it on my connector box and use it to turn everything off when I park the bike. I never tried short circuiting, but had 110A flowing without it tripping, so three times the AC rating. The button on my handlebars turns off the controller for emergencies. I screwed up and replaced it with another (smaller) 40A breaker, that turned out to be DC. It doesn't trip with short bursts up to ~70A, but will trip at ~50A continuous which sucks, so on my to do list.
Did you notice those $5 breakers are more like $10 now?

Here's the autopsy pics of my first breaker/switch. It was actually $6. The contacts were slightly misaligned causing some discoloration, but after thousands of actuations, there was no pitting of the contacts.
Why did you choose an AC breaker for DC when DC breakers are available?

Last edited:
I can pretty well guarantee a short circuit will trip them. Obviously you should perform your own tests though.

The current rating can be well below what you use. You might want it lower, so that they trip faster. Type B seem the most common amongst cheapies, which trip at 3-5 times the rated current. So in a setup running 60A peaks, for example, you might choose a 20A MCB.
For my purposes, I really only want a switch, not current protection. I'd rather risk damaging the bike than have an unexpected trip occurring while in traffic or anywhere else where I'm counting on the power. If it only trips under a short circuit, that's ideal.
For the OP, it looks like they were switches, not breakers, so not providing current protection anyway.

Why did you choose an AC breaker for DC when DC breakers are available?
I can’t justify the expense. FWIW, that the aliexpress DC breaker you linked to is in all likelihood a regular AC rated MCB … buyer beware.

The motor’s protected by the controller. The controller’s protected by the BMS. The BMS has integral self-protection, however would be highly stressed by a dead short.

So, if all that’s being protected is a $70 40A smart (bluetooth) BMS, DC rated breakers are a non-starter and the options are home-made fuse, maxi blade fuse, or AC rated MCB.

The sweetener with the MCB is you get a really nice switch thrown in. Note that, unlike regular switches, MCBs are rated by breaking current rather than contact current. And given the pricing structure of MCBs, it’s a safe bet that the contacts are identical across any given manufacturer’s range. I.e. you get 80A contacts in a 10A breaker.

For my purposes, I really only want a switch, not current protection. I'd rather risk damaging the bike than have an unexpected trip occurring while in traffic or anywhere else where I'm counting on the power. If it only trips under a short circuit, that's ideal.
For the OP, it looks like they were switches, not breakers, so not providing current protection anyway.
Fair enough. You won’t find a better switch for many times the price. You’re benefitting from the economies of scale. They’re manufactured by the gazillion, unlike boutique switches.

To minimise the possibility of false positives you’d pick a high amp rated type b breaker, or look at other types … c, k, etc.

Back