|Campus Rider MK I.5| Weld-free Electric Long Board

torqueboards said:

Here's an image of both. The left is an 83mm with thick core lines which my original design didn't fit. The one on the right is a 97mm with a thin core as I didn't have any 83mm w/ thin core.

Have you tested the 97mm's? Looking to increase from 83mm for road conditions. Not sure if 90mm is too small, or if 97mm is too big. :?

drmacgyver said:
torqueboards said:

Here's an image of both. The left is an 83mm with thick core lines which my original design didn't fit. The one on the right is a 97mm with a thin core as I didn't have any 83mm w/ thin core.

Have you tested the 97mm's? Looking to increase from 83mm for road conditions. Not sure if 90mm is too small, or if 97mm is too big. :?

The 97mm's are huge, lol. 90mm was not that much bigger. I haven't tested the 90mm yet. I think the 97mm are too big for being easily portable which is what I'm after.

Going to go for the 90mm's. I'll report back with results. Should be good until those dreamy pneumatics come into fruition.

Got them in the mail today, and in addition to being thick core and thus being incompatible with my Alien wheel adapter, 90mm and 83mm might as well be the same size. The difference isn't worth switching from one to the other. Seeing as how I have to return them anyways, I'm going to get the 97mm's. As beastly as they may be, I need something with a noticeable size difference.

drmacgyver said:
Got them in the mail today, and in addition to being thick core and thus being incompatible with my Alien wheel adapter, 90mm and 83mm might as well be the same size. The difference isn't worth switching from one to the other. Seeing as how I have to return them anyways, I'm going to get the 97mm's. As beastly as they may be, I need something with a noticeable size difference.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the flywheel clones are all now only the thick core lines. They are no longer the exact same as the original ABEC 11 Flywheels. So if you are trying to get those 97mm flywheels in thin core lines like my photo. I doubt they are available anymore unless it's someones existing stock. I do have a drive wheel setup for both the thick and thin core lines however they aren't as pretty as Alien's :D

Yeah the 90mm is only 3.5mm bigger than the 83mm radially. Shame about the thick cores. The hub drives I have are actually for the thick cores so if you have a CNC machine then you could download the DXF file for that. Do you have enough board clearance for such big wheels? Good luck and let us know how the 97 mm rides.

97 mm wheels ride very nicely...I have the 97 originals and 83 clones and the rolling difference is quite obvious, so is the wheel bite. ...
Much better rolling, but you need higher risers or a cutout board...
The originals also feel grippier..
The clones come in cool colors the originals in puke green..

Unfortunately I don't have access to a CNC, but thank you ipbug! :D I'm going to return them as ask the seller if they have thin core 97s.
My board is a drop-through http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=58611 but I still might need to dremel out a little.
I have 1/4" risers (plastic) so I can give those a try too. (currently I'm on 1/8" rubber risers).

beto_pty: Thanks for the feedback on the 97s, it's really awesome to hear they ride well! :D I haven't been able to find a solid positive review for them. I noticed that they have the durometer listing for the real flywheels, but not the clones, so I might not be able to get soft clones. The colors are definitely cool, but I was thinking of getting green anyways.
Curious what wheel colors you guys prefer?

drmacgyver said:
I was thinking of getting green anyways. ?

I meant puke green in the best of ways... :D

My clones are all blacks...

drmacgyver said:
Unfortunately I don't have access to a CNC, but thank you ipbug! :D I'm going to return them as ask the seller if they have thin core 97s.
My board is a drop-through http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=58611 but I still might need to dremel out a little.
I have 1/4" risers (plastic) so I can give those a try too. (currently I'm on 1/8" rubber risers).

beto_pty: Thanks for the feedback on the 97s, it's really awesome to hear they ride well! :D I haven't been able to find a solid positive review for them. I noticed that they have the durometer listing for the real flywheels, but not the clones, so I might not be able to get soft clones. The colors are definitely cool, but I was thinking of getting green anyways.
Curious what wheel colors you guys prefer?

They might not have thin cores anymore but worth a shot. As for colors, I like the Neon Green and the yellow colors. The neon green seems to look the best after getting dirty. The white wheels ended up turning gray/yellowish after using them. I'm sure the dark blue, black should be fine. The orange is a dull orange not my color and the yellow is probably my 2nd choice.

beto_pty said:
the originals in puke green..
OG flywheels colour was 'rootbeer'
flywheels.jpg

Can sell for a small fortune if you lucky enough to find them. :shock:
Chaput has also done limited runs in Reflex 'thane - pink and lime if I remember correctly.

Err... the seller only carries thick core. What do you think of buying "gently used" ones? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABEC-11-Flywheels-Longboard-Wheels-97mm-75a-Skateboard-BIG-GREENS-/271473715409?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f351828d1

ipbug: If I was somehow able to get your design made, would it be compatible with Alien's hub adapter pulley?

drmacgyver said:
Err... the seller only carries thick core. What do you think of buying "gently used" ones? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABEC-11-Flywheels-Longboard-Wheels-97mm-75a-Skateboard-BIG-GREENS-/271473715409?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f351828d1

ipbug: If I was somehow able to get your design made, would it be compatible with Alien's hub adapter pulley?

Real ABEC's are about $50-60? Why don't you just buy the real ones? I doubt they are compatible as ipbug has his own pulley setup and Alien has their own. IF you were to get ipbug's setup made you might as well just get his entire pulley/inside retainer setup made.

torqueboards said:
drmacgyver said:

Real ABEC's are about $50-60? Why don't you just buy the real ones?

I haven't found any at that price. The ones on ebay/amazon are $100 (USD). I found a couple others listed for half that price and contacted sellers about the core specification. Waiting for replies...

drmacgyver said:
torqueboards said:
drmacgyver said:

Real ABEC's are about $50-60? Why don't you just buy the real ones?

I haven't found any at that price. The ones on ebay/amazon are $100 (USD). I found a couple others listed for half that price and contacted sellers about the core specification. Waiting for replies...

Oh yeah nevermind. I guess 97mm ABEC's are much more expensive lol.

Aliensystems uses a different mounting scheme for its pulley so no it will not be compatible. If I had the aliensystems pulley I could probably reverse-CAD something that would be compatible but I am pretty content with my setup so don't really see a need. I know torque and another member were working on 3D printed pulley systems a while back, maybe that can be an option for you? Finding someone with a 3D printer is not too hard nowadays and then you can use the cheap clone wheels.

Back