Chain slap

I ordered a chain breaker kit from Aliexpress on 7/30/23 and it arrived this morning. That's 10 days only, I am impressed by how quick it was! What's your experience?

Will report back after I get the chain off. Probably won't get to it till tomorrow.

Chain breaker arrived from Aliexpress. Removed the chain and went for a test ride. No more annoying chain slap on the crappy roads here! I've done more throttle only riding and can confirm from a fully charged 48V battery @ 54V, it drops to 46V at 40 miles so there's still some reserve down to 42V. I can probably get 50 miles before the BMS cuts power. With a voltmeter and a 3 LED power display on the handlebar, I am always aware of the state of charge of the battery. If the bike dies for other reasons, I'll walk it home or lock it up and get the car to pick it up.

Curious if anyone else ride their ebike throttle only? If you pedal, what % do you think you are contributing towards battery life?

I've been riding the Arrow 9 ebike with chain removed for a few months now and really like it. Since it's no longer connected to the rear wheel, the pedals free wheels and is in whatever position it finds itself in. I added a weight to the right crank so the pedal always sit at the bottom before I mount the bike, put my right foot on the it and engage the throttle. Just a minor improvement in convenience.

I've been riding the Arrow 9 ebike with chain removed for a few months now and really like it.
Ok, but what will you do if you run out of battery during a ride or suffer an e-failure? Can't pedal back to base.

(Know that I don't like chains either (greasy, staining) but seems to be a necessary evil.)

(Know that I don't like chains either (greasy, staining) but seems to be a necessary evil.)
No need for them to be greasy or staining. Depending on your riding conditions you can go lube-free if you can accept the accelerated wear rate. Or use alternate lubes that aren't oils, and/or wipe down the chain as part of your pre-ride checklist (if you have one).

Or you can put a cover over the chain in any of a number of ways. ;)

Ok, but what will you do if you run out of battery during a ride or suffer an e-failure? Can't pedal back to base.

I've thought that scenario through before removing the chain. Running out of battery is unlikely since I have a volt/% meter that I keep an eye on. I kept a kit in the saddle bag at first: chain/quick link/tool to install/gloves. As I gained confidence riding w/o chain, I eventually removed the kit. If I do get an e-failure, I will walk the bike home. If too far or I don't feel like walking, lock bike up, take public transport, come back with car & pick it up.

No need for them to be greasy or staining. Depending on your riding conditions you can go lube-free if you can accept the accelerated wear rate. Or use alternate lubes that aren't oils, and/or wipe down the chain as part of your pre-ride checklist (if you have one).
Haven't found anything that keeps the chain clean in my chain-challenged riding environment (near constant rain most of the year). Tried numerous highly-rated concoctions, melted wax baths, etc.

Haven't found anything that keeps the chain clean in my chain-challenged riding environment (near constant rain most of the year). Tried numerous highly-rated concoctions, melted wax baths, etc.
Constant rain? What kind of temperature? Do you ride for transportation? Can't imagine it's for fun. How do you dress to stay warm and dry?

Constant rain? What kind of temperature? Do you ride for transportation? Can't imagine it's for fun. How do you dress to stay warm and dry?
I didn't say constant rain. Near-constant rain or drizzle, or just rained, or about to start. At any rate, even when not raining the roads are usually wet and puddly. Rainy season temperatures usually between 20-60 F. Staying warm not such a problem as I work hard at pedaling. Good ski gloves, layers, good rain jacket with good neck wrapping, jeans (maybe with thermals underneath when temps are in the low 30sF or below). To try to stay drier (not really possible to stay completely dry) I will include water-resistant nylon overpants, a thin nylon helmet cover, and neoprene overbooties. There is a balance between keeping outside moisture out, and trapping perspiration-based moisture in.

Plus Full Fenders, or even a little more than what you normally imagine full fenders to be. Wider than the tires, and extending further down front and back of the tire that what is normally marketed.

Yes transportation mostly.

Worst casualties: Increased chain and bearing maintenance (wheel, BB, pedal).

Heard this somewhere: "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear."

I didn't say constant rain. Near-constant rain or drizzle, or just rained, or about to start. At any rate, even when not raining the roads are usually wet and puddly. Rainy season temperatures usually between 20-60 F. Staying warm not such a problem as I work hard at pedaling. Good ski gloves, layers, good rain jacket with good neck wrapping, jeans (maybe with thermals underneath when temps are in the low 30sF or below). To try to stay drier (not really possible to stay completely dry) I will include water-resistant nylon overpants, a thin nylon helmet cover, and neoprene overbooties. There is a balance between keeping outside moisture out, and trapping perspiration-based moisture in.

Plus Full Fenders, or even a little more than what you normally imagine full fenders to be. Wider than the tires, and extending further down front and back of the tire that what is normally marketed.

Yes transportation mostly.

Worst casualties: Increased chain and bearing maintenance (wheel, BB, pedal).

Heard this somewhere: "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear."
Being in wet conditions most of the time, do you have electrical problems with switches, lights and throttle? How do you clean the bike clean and how often do you clean it?

While looking around behind the bottom bracket, I noticed this sensor. Is that the PAS sensor on the aluminum bracket? Is it Hall effect and is it needed for anything now that the chain has been removed and I ride it throttle only?

IMG_3005.jpeg

Being in wet conditions most of the time, do you have electrical problems with switches, lights and throttle? How do you clean the bike clean and how often do you clean it?
Not so much anymore. Learned to form drip loops in the wiring runs and orient the connectors in positions where water will tend to shed away without pooling, and in locations not subject to heavy spray.

I have caused more water-related problems when washing the bike trying to keep it clean LOL so don't really wash it so much, learned my lesson there.

Not so much anymore. Learned to form drip loops in the wiring runs and orient the connectors in positions where water will tend to shed away without pooling, and in locations not subject to heavy spray.

I have caused more water-related problems when washing the bike trying to keep it clean LOL so don't really wash it so much, learned my lesson there.
"Drip loops" How do they work? Have you tried Self Fusing Silicone Tape to wrap connectors and switches etc to keep water out?

Back