Charging by Generator

Wayne M.

1 µW
I'm a 35 year retired Licensed Diesel Technician. I'm here to tell people that Emmo zone GTS bikes can be recharged while you're riding them. They produce generators that adapt with a pulley that connects to the rear wheel. The trick is to get a generator that generates enough power to recharge the batteries. It is possible to do but the seller doesn't tell you because they obviously want everyone to keep buying batteries.

I'm a 35 year retired Licensed Diesel Technician. I'm here to tell people that Emmo zone GTS bikes can be recharged while you're riding them. They produce generators that adapt with a pulley that connects to the rear wheel. The trick is to get a generator that generates enough power to recharge the batteries. It is possible to do but the seller doesn't tell you because they obviously want everyone to keep buying batteries.
Just like they tell everyone the bike only goes a certain speed. Which is not true. Unhook the speed control sensor and your flying

You do realize that if you are generating power from your forward motion or your motor power while travelling on the motor power, you are shortening your range (probably significantly)?

This is because no conversion process is anywhere near 100% (probably between 50 and 75%), so out of every watt you output to the wheel that then gets sucked back up into the generator, only half to 3/4 of that watt gets back to the battery, and NONE of it goes toward moving you down the road, so it's just wasted as heat in your generator and conversion/charging electronics.

If you don't believe me, put a wattmeter that retains it's data during shutdown and also tracks distance (like the Cycle Analyst, etc) between the battery and controller, with the wheelspeed sensor installed and setup. Then ride for your full pack capacity without any generator setup, and note the range vs wh and the wh/mile down. Clear the data, then perform the same ride test with the generator setup, and compare the data.

You'll find it is higher wh/mile power usage with the generator, and lower range for the same wh.

If instead you simply use regenerative braking to regain some of the power used to accelerate with as you slow down, you *can* actually extend the range a small amount, a few percent or less typically, but it's real, unlike your proposed recharging-while-riding.

It's been attempted with all sorts of electric (and other) vehicles--if you take energy from your forward motion, regardless of how you do it, it slows you down. To keep from slowing down, *more* power must be used up (wasted) than you took out (because of conversion losses).

The only people that report a net gain instead of loss didn't actually measure anything, or didn't measure it correctly. ;)

Back