Compact Field Oriented Controller, ASI + Grin, limited run

This is worthy of a new post.

DO NOT CHANGE THE RATED SYSTEM VOLTAGE. LOL

2 days of constant hair pulling for me trying a million things. I eventually tried going down to 12s to do the auto tune and it instantly worked!!!!!!!!!!

so you can change everything else but dont touch that because it will cause error city.

and that my friends is how Santa put his Satanic bike together.

Happy note I got my regen working - what a spun out concept pushing a button and pulling throttle - time to ride!

HOpe this helps anyone else out there.

https://youtu.be/YgSZA7j5lOg

Hi guys, can anyone give help me? My kelly controller has recently popped and I decided to buy a new foc controller after reading this thread and getting quite excited about it :D

I'm trying to get bac3000 controller working with my cromotor v3 , going through the hall mapping one the bacdoir software and I get This strange bump at the start then it seems to go through the hall mapping process as normal . But the throttle doesn't work after this . I'm admittedly got no experience with setting up a foc controller any help would be much appreciated!

I have entered 23 pole pairs and auto tuned the Ls and Rs and changed the system voltage to 72 v nominal
I have mapped the throttle Voltage as per the manual . I'm guessing I've got a few missing or wrong parameters ?

Really Hope I can get this awesome controller working
Thanks in advance !

I've posted a video inthe above link

I managed to break apart my vice the first time I tried to auto tune the cro , so obviously I've done something wrong ,

There is a big jolt when it try's to start in auto mapping of halls ( in the video I posted it looks as if it's trying to spin the wrong way at first )

I think I have the correct pole pairs and rpm , system voltage 72v ( according to Robbie it should be fully charged voltage which would be 84v so might try that also or should I not touch the system voltage and keep it at 48?)

Do I need to enter a current regulator bandwidth ? I've left it at 0

Thanks for any help

I had no luck on a million things I tried - and even now if I want it to work I have to connect up a 12s pack. I havent tried higher except for 22s but that didnt work....

Just try 48v setting to auto tune it and later up your power through bacdoor.. thats the only way I can get I can get to run at higher power.

the phaser runner suite only seems good at setting auto tune up for now, I might be wrong.

Even if you running much higher voltage just leave it at whatever you can autotune to, because I have had no luck, then again Im not a pro at this.

Thanks I'll give it a try

Can anyone tell me what this fault is and how to clear it??
2016-12-30.png

Manged to get it working at last , needed to adjust the phase amps over a certain threshold !

Hey all and sorry for not paying regular visits to this thread in the last little while, but I appreciate all the help that people have been chiming in.

Anyways, after all the great feedback and occasional frustrations that people have had in getting their Phaserunner controller setup we've now finished an updated release of the software (V0.99) that hopefully fixes and addresses most of the configuration headaches. In short, there are a number of quirks in how the ASI firmware handles parameters and lets you input values which then more or less break the device, in ways which weren't at all obvious. We've tried our best in the software to catch and clamp these to values that the firmware will handle properly. Files are here:
http://www.ebikes.ca/downloads/PhaseRunner_Software_v0.9.9.exe For Windows
http://www.ebikes.ca/downloads/PhaseRunner_Software_v0.9.9.tar.gz For Linux
http://www.ebikes.ca/downloads/PhaseRunner_Software_Mac_v0.9.9.zip For MacOS

You'll see some changes to the layout; parameters are rearranged and renamed, the action buttons for saving/reading/restoring parameters are now on the top of the tab instead of on the bottom of the screen so that people with low resolution displays won't have to scroll vertically to see the buttons. The hover over tool tips are now present on all of the data fields in the advanced setup and dashboard panes. Field Weakening was moved to the advanced setup tab. The "faults" indicator now also shows any warnings too, and gives a yellow LED if there are warnings present (like the 6-7 flash code from the erroneous battery temperature warning that was present in the previous defaults file)

Also, there were issues before with people using high resolution monitors where they had their operating system display scaling active, and this caused a lot of text in the Phaserunner software to get cropped or display oddly. The way that the font scaling and item sizing is setup was changed and hopefully this will now render well on all those systems too.

Anyways I'm hoping that people can test out the software above on the associated windows/MacOS/Linux platforms and let us know if there are any other kinks that are introduced. We're working hard to get this to a stable V1.00 release state and all feedback is very useful to that.

This looks wonderful Justin! Can't wait to play again.

1. Has the rated system voltage complexity been change? I could only ever set up my bike as 48v while I'm running 22s lipo. I am hoping to understand whether this miss calculation might be affecting what I feel as odd usage of power to torque to RPM. It still is probably just the FOC that I haven't fully grasped yet.

Basically, with common controllers you will get full power at a twist to get the bike rolling from a stop or for a hill and then when at optimal rpm you see a drop in power usage. I do like the fact this controller stops you from dropping useless power when out of gear but from a stop on my driveway it will just bog down on a very mild hill. Once I get to open speeds around 60 kmh I've got maximum power of 3.5kw for example, which I presume is just heat producing with very little work. ( I do feel the torque still it is more but just wonder if I have this set up totally wrong or this is the FOC experience.

2. Bit off topic but not really, since I am running the same as your signature I think... I understand that the controller has thermal roll back and would like to know if it is fool proof. Can I run it at 3.5kw (yes the motor probably overheats quicker than the controller) and it will fold back my extreme usage without warranty problems? I have the CA controlling motor temps from 100 - 120c.

3. The all axle auto tunes to hall start and sensorless run.. is that right? and why? I also tried this controller on my mid drive and it would not set up anything but sensorless which was jerky as hell.

Finally I am loving the all-axle / phase runner combination. I have never experienced a hub motor so completely silent and so smoothe on the throttle. I use it everywhere through suburbia and then hit my mid drive when I need torque to climb serious off road stuff or have overheated. Can't wait for custom fins.....

Cheers and happy 2017 :)

John Bozi said:
This looks wonderful Justin! Can't wait to play again.
1. Has the rated system voltage complexity been change? I could only ever set up my bike as 48v while I'm running 22s lipo. I am hoping to understand whether this miss calculation might be affecting what I feel as odd usage of power to torque to RPM. It still is probably just the FOC that I haven't fully grasped yet.

There were two issues here, one is that (unknownst to us) ASI's firmware requires that the rated system voltage be set between 28V and 84V, so if you put it to 85V then nothing would work. The 2nd issue was that in the previous software, during the autotune routine we would read the actual voltage present and temporarily set this as the new rated system voltage so that the motor RPM during autotune was close to what it should be (50% of full RPM). But in the process of doing that, it would also change the fast and slow over voltage faults on the advanced setup phage (since these scale with the rated system voltage), which would then be clamped at 90V, and then when the rated system voltage was returned to the previous value the over voltage faults could decrease to a value that was less than the pack voltage, so you would have a voltage fault error. That's why we were advising people to leave the rated system voltage alone and do the autotuning with 36 or 48V packs.
Both of these behaviors should be fixed in the 0.99 SW version and there should be no problem now with you doing the autotune with your 72V or 80V or whatever pack. If you could confirm that with your setup using the V0.99 software that would be great.

Once I get to open speeds around 60 kmh I've got maximum power of 3.5kw for example, which I presume is just heat producing with very little work. ( I do feel the torque still it is more but just wonder if I have this set up totally wrong or this is the FOC experience.

This isn't a result of being an FOC but just the fact that the phaserunner controller is doing actual phase current limiting. It would be exactly the same sensation with a trapezoidal controller that also had a 96A phase current limit. At 60kph and 3.5kw the motor is probably running at pretty decent efficiency and doing a ton of work. If you ran that same motor at 3.5 kw and just like 10 kph then that is when it is mostly generating heat. Yes the torque will be higher, but it's not very good use of your battery energy.
Right now your motor has a KI of about 0.75 Nm/A, so with 95 amps of phase current you have at best 70 Nm of max torque. That's decent, but it's not the kind of value that's going to spin out the front wheel or pop a wheelie if it was on the back.

2. Bit off topic but not really, since I am running the same as your signature I think... I understand that the controller has thermal roll back and would like to know if it is fool proof. Can I run it at 3.5kw (yes the motor probably overheats quicker than the controller) and it will fold back my extreme usage without warranty problems?
Yes
I have the CA controlling motor temps from 100 - 120c.
A bit of an aside from this thread, but be aware that the grin motor will hit these temps with 3.5 kW very quickly, in like a few minutes, even if you add Statorade. For those power levels you'd probably want both Statorade and something like the HubSinks for better heat flow out of the rotor shell.

3. The all axle auto tunes to hall start and sensorless run.. is that right? and why?

If it senses a valid hall signal during the autotune then we set it to this behavior, while if it doesn't detect valid halls during the autotune it will default to sensorless only. You could choose the sensored only mode too, but we felt in general it's more robust to have the system not depend on the hall signals as much as possible.

I also tried this controller on my mid drive and it would not set up anything but sensorless which was jerky as hell.

There are many more things to tweak to have smooth sensorless start behavior on the controller. But if you have halls on your mid-drive and it still defaulted to sensorless mode then that means an issue with the hall signals, and I would check with a multimeter to ensure that all 3 of them are toggling properly.

Finally I am loving the all-axle / phase runner combination. I have never experienced a hub motor so completely silent and so smoothe on the throttle. I use it everywhere through suburbia and then hit my mid drive when I need torque to climb serious off road stuff or have overheated. Can't wait for custom fins.....

Well good to hear. To appreciate just how much silencing the FOC does, you should try hooking up a regular trapezoidal drive controller to the Grin All-Axle hub motor, that thing becomes so noisy it will buzz enough to make you embarrassed every time you pass a cyclist or pedestrian.

Cheers and happy 2017 :)

Ditto to everyone else on the Sphere too!

justin_le said:
Hey all and sorry for not paying regular visits to this thread in the last little while, but I appreciate all the help that people have been chiming in.

You'll see some changes to the layout; parameters are rearranged and renamed, the action buttons for saving/reading/restoring parameters are now on the top of the tab instead of on the bottom of the screen so that people with low resolution displays won't have to scroll vertically to see the buttons. The hover over tool tips are now present on all of the data fields in the advanced setup and dashboard panes. Field Weakening was moved to the advanced setup tab. The "faults" indicator now also shows any warnings too, and gives a yellow LED if there are warnings present (like the 6-7 flash code from the erroneous battery temperature warning that was present in the previous defaults file)

Also, there were issues before with people using high resolution monitors where they had their operating system display scaling active, and this caused a lot of text in the Phaserunner software to get cropped or display oddly. The way that the font scaling and item sizing is setup was changed and hopefully this will now render well on all those systems too.

Anyways I'm hoping that people can test out the software above on the associated windows/MacOS/Linux platforms and let us know if there are any other kinks that are introduced. We're working hard to get this to a stable V1.00 release state and all feedback is very useful to that.
Great work Justin!

Hi Justin , just a thought but will the phaserunner software work to program a bac3000?

I'm running into issues trying to get adjustable regen working ( or any regen for that matter ) with the bacdoor software

Thanks for all the your hard work

I'm loving the foc controller I've never experienced anything so smooth and quiet ! Unbelievable!

nickjs said:
Hi Justin , just a thought but will the phaserunner software work to program a bac3000?

You can try it, but that's not what we intended it for and the Phaserunner Software assumes certain hardware configuration which may not be the same as how you have the BAC3000 hooked up, and also has hard coded limits (like 90V max voltage fault, 96A max phase current) which you probably won't want. So if it turns out to be useful then great, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it. I do think that a few people here have used the Phaserunner software suite with the BAC2000 controllers though no? At l;east for the autotune routine it can save a whole lot of steps compared to doing that inside bacdoor.

I see - Thanks for replying

Thanks Justin for the detailed reply, you certainly filled in a lot of grey area.

I spent an hour playing with the new version of p r suite, auto tuning etc. I don't have to change my battery pack down to 48v to get it to work. I could auto tune while at over 84v but with the rating at 48v....

I then kept upping the volts settings until the maximum I could get the programme to work at. 81v is the most it will work at and it auto tuned at this setting too.

However on my test ride my regen does not work now. The CA registers on the display but there is no regen....

I noticed almost nothing in how the motor / controller behaved having set this up to 81v.

The only change really between auto tune at 48 to 81v was slight changes in RS LS hall offset... and errors on overhighvoltage.....

Since the ride felt no better and only lost regen I will just import my 48v settings again.... Do love how easy this is to play with.

Biggest advice to everyone is do not play with any of the suite settings on an already set up bike, until you have exported your settings :)

cheers

justin_le said:
To appreciate just how much silencing the FOC does, you should try hooking up a regular trapezoidal drive controller to the Grin All-Axle hub motor, that thing becomes so noisy it will buzz enough to make you embarrassed every time you pass a cyclist or pedestrian.

Just to add some colour and sound to this thread.

My Red Intense M6 has the controller mounted next to my right hand throttle. It partly hides under the brake bits. So small so powerful!

If you like to compare sound lol It's a very long video, there is a bit right at the end on road just phase runner and hub doing the work....

[youtube]CsqUvbHNdkE[/youtube]

The new 9.9 version of the Phaserunner suite for mac is running better for me than the previous version, also the pop up info boxes are behaving. The suite does mess with my bluetooth speaker though, something in the serial port settings, either mine or yours. I'm running Sierra.

I have this issue in the fault codes, Warnings[14]: Cold Battery Foldback, I can guess what that means but I'd like to find the definition, it is freaking cold here if that helps

Marin said:
The new 9.9 version of the Phaserunner suite for mac is running better for me than the previous version, also the pop up info boxes are behaving.
Great!
The suite does mess with my bluetooth speaker though, something in the serial port settings, either mine or yours. I'm running Sierra.

Oh that's interesting. Messing with as is if you are playing music while using the phaserunner suite then it causes interruptions in the soundstream or something else specifically? We have the software always scanning which COM ports are available and then all the time checking to see if a Phaserunner is connected to the selected port so that as much as possible it attempts to automatically detect

I have this issue in the fault codes, Warnings[14]: Cold Battery Foldback, I can guess what that means but I'd like to find the definition, it is freaking cold here if that helps
Yes, this is the 6,7 flash code error which is a goofy behavior from the ASI's Phaserunner firmware responding when both the low battery start and end temperatures are at the same value, which by default were 0 degrees in the earlier defaults setting. Even though we aren't using cold battery rollback feature the warning was still present. If you use the 0.99 suite and then run then load the defaults.xml file that comes with that this warning should go away, and the Phaserunner LED should glow steady.

Or, you can just go the the "Edit Parameters" pop-up window and then add the two cold battery foldback registers to the list, and make sure that the cold battery end temperature is lower than the cold battery start temperature. The actual values themselves don't matter at all.
ColdBattery Foldback.jpg
(In the V0.97 and earlier software, this was not treated as a signed value so you could only put in positive values)

justin_le said:
Marin said:
The new 9.9 version of the Phaserunner suite for mac is running better for me than the previous version, also the pop up info boxes are behaving.
Great!
The suite does mess with my bluetooth speaker though, something in the serial port settings, either mine or yours. I'm running Sierra.

Oh that's interesting. Messing with as is if you are playing music while using the phaserunner suite then it causes interruptions in the soundstream or something else specifically? We have the software always scanning which COM ports are available and then all the time checking to see if a Phaserunner is connected to the selected port so that as much as possible it attempts to automatically detect

I had the hockey game on when I started the phase suite and it cut off the speaker sound and I had to manually reset it, I tried it a couple times just to see and it happened each time.

Yes, this is the 6,7 flash code error which is a goofy behavior from the ASI's Phaserunner firmware responding when both the low battery start and end temperatures are at the same value, which by default were 0 degrees in the earlier defaults setting. Even though we aren't using cold battery rollback feature the warning was still present. If you use the 0.99 suite and then run then load the defaults.xml file that comes with that this warning should go away, and the Phaserunner LED should glow steady.

Or, you can just go the the "Edit Parameters" pop-up window and then add the two cold battery foldback registers to the list, and make sure that the cold battery end temperature is lower than the cold battery start temperature. The actual values themselves don't matter at all.

(In the V0.97 and earlier software, this was not treated as a signed value so you could only put in positive values)

Nice warning gone thanks, you were brave to send me to that parameters list, theres a lot of them in there

justin_le said:
Anyways, after all the great feedback and occasional frustrations that people have had in getting their Phaserunner controller setup we've now finished an updated release of the software (V0.99) that hopefully fixes and addresses most of the configuration headaches.

http://www.ebikes.ca/downloads/PhaseRunner_Software_v0.9.9.tar.gz For Linux

I'm curious if any people have had a chance to install and test out the linux build of the 0.99 Phaserunner firmware, and if so can you comment if everything runs OK and what distribution of linux you are using?

Back