Compact Field Oriented Controller, ASI + Grin, limited run

Does anyone know which driver chip is used in the Phaserunner?

Possibly among the TI DRV83xx family?

Alan B said:
As I recall the DRV83xx refer to (development) boards, rather than chips.

Both.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/drv8312.pdf

One of my recent dev projects was a driver for an aircraft gimbal. In prototyping we used the DRV8312 M65 dev boards, and later developed our own PCB.

It uses a AS5311 Hall Sensor with 12 bits resolution. In combination with the Piccolo we have a 5 nanosecond window between sense and response.

That enables a very rapid precision movement with extreme rotational accuracy. Totally cogless. Totally. Similar to what Applimotion's technologies.

Not so practical for an eBike, until we began playing with the ACTIVE sensorless processing made possible by the Piccolo.

Rather than just measure voltage on the "open leg" the 8312/Piccolo can inject a "balanced" current in such a way that reluctance can be measured when the motor is still. Full accurate sensorless control from 0 RPM. There may be other drivers that can accomplish this, I haven't found any.

Now that's applicable to eBikes.

No I have no interest in developing anything for the eBike market. I'm semi-retired and only work for fun anymore, not because I need to.

Just curious.

Ordered phaserunner and just want to check if the following is possible with an HS3540?

Battery is an em3ev 10s9p Samsung 32e so a conservative 28.35 aH. I think the BMS an cope with 40A continuous. So I think a peak of 35A should be reasonable. Not sure yet on what phase current I should use so any advice welcome.

CA v3 will have PAS as the main mode of input. Looking at 3 modes using the preset and digi-aux for this. Pot for setting pas to a cruising speed/amp draw/watt level when using PAS to achieve speed/range balance. Throttle is just to have an occasional power boost.

Preset 1 - PAS 250watt 25 km/h speed limit no throttle - starting setting
Preset 2 - PAS up to 550watt, pot can reduce this, no speed limit, throttle limit 1000w
Preset 3 - PAS up to 750watt, pot can reduce this, no speed limit, throttle max

Tats said:
Ordered phaserunner and just want to check if the following is possible with an HS3540?

Battery is an em3ev 10s9p Samsung 32e so a conservative 28.35 aH. I think the BMS an cope with 40A continuous. So I think a peak of 35A should be reasonable. Not sure yet on what phase current I should use so any advice welcome.

CA v3 will have PAS as the main mode of input. Looking at 3 modes using the preset and digi-aux for this. Pot for setting pas to a cruising speed/amp draw/watt level when using PAS to achieve speed/range balance. Throttle is just to have an occasional power boost.

Preset 1 - PAS 250watt 25 km/h speed limit no throttle - starting setting
Preset 2 - PAS up to 550watt, pot can reduce this, no speed limit, throttle limit 1000w
Preset 3 - PAS up to 750watt, pot can reduce this, no speed limit, throttle max

This is all easily done with the phaserunner and a CAv3. You should be very happy with it, those are really reasonable numbers. I pull over 3500 watts through the phaserunner and its been happy for a long time now.

Trying to autotune and consistently getting the error - phase connections to motor - and won't let me continue. There are a couple of noises coming from the ht3540 before I get the error.
So having checked connections etc I suspect the issue may be comms timeouts between my old iMac and the phaserunner. I say this because I get a constant cycling of "success" then "controller connected" at the top of the screen and when I just try a read parameters I get a comms time-out on the software. My iMac is early 2009 running mavericks - will try a more up to date computer tomorrow. And will do the pll bandwidth mrads suggestions from earlier in this thread.

IXED IT.....

For info the Phaserunner suite on my old iMac and brand new iMac consistently got a Phase error during the static test. The version I was using was v.0.9.9.1 from 27 December 2016. Also tried the iMac with 0.9.9.2 on Sierra but the same issue.

I booted into windows 10 tho and installed the windows version v.0.9.9.2 from January and it worked!!!! Its found a hall error and running senseless at the moment but it fixed the problem I had with the mac software versions.

Hi
Just received a phaserunner and CA3, want to check if there is a 3 speed power switch or equivalent so I can run street leagal higher power for off road or slow speed for limited traction .
I've also found that a simple cruise control worked via a single switchis usefull for me to prevent cramp in the throttle hand is there anything like that on the phaserunner.
Geoff

geoff57 said:
CA3, want to check if there is a 3 speed power switch or equivalent so I can run street leagal higher power for off road or slow speed for limited traction .

http://www.ebikes.ca/news/digi-aux-buttons/

I just did some Autotune tests of Bafang SWXH and Bafang CST geared hubs with Software Suite v0.9.9.2 on macOS 10.8.5 with 36V batterie.

Autotune went fine. No hick-ups. (some connection errors, though)

But I get a 'Warnings(11): LowSOCFLDBK' message in the software and the corresponding 6.4 blinking pattern on the Phaserunner.
(got the same 'LowSOCFLDBK' warning yesterday, when doing Autotune tests with v0.9.9 and the SWXH and a BPM)

What is 'Warnings(11): LowSOCFLDBK'?

Marc S. said:
What is 'Warnings(11): LowSOCFLDBK'?
Low state-of-charge foldback. I think this would only apply in a networked configuration where you have a BMS that's communicating with the controller to report the battery's state of charge. If foldback is happening, that means the controller is limiting the current, so it's worth figuring out which parameters would make this go away. Look for parameters with "SOC" or "BMS" in the name or description. It would be best to disable this altogether, but if you just set the foldback parameters to something really low it might work.

OK, I had a couple minutes to look into this. What should work is to set the "Battery management interface type" to 0, which would disable SOC-related functions. If that doesn't work, here are some other parameters to play around with:

Features bit 3
Battery state of charge foldback starting capacity
Battery state of charge foldback end capacity
Voltage model battery state of charge gain
Voltage model battery state of charge offset

Good luck.

Out of luck.
Doesn't change a bit.
(wraps the Phaserunner and puts it back in the box)

As long as this thing 'invents' new warnings and error messages every time I try it out, it doesn't go back into one of my rides. *sigh*

Thanks, anyway!

This issue has been been covered on this thread. It's an easy one time fix. Did on my recent build for a friend and it worked out fine. Just look back in the thread a bit and you will find it. A post by Robbie I think.

Here is what he said:

"For those annoyed by the 6,7 blinking pattern;

It has to do with the "ColdBatteryFoldback" temperature settings.

By default they are set to be 0 and 0, this is apparently giving a warning, even though it is the recommended default.

To fix this on the PhaseWarmup software you'll have to change these parameters. To do this,

1. Click Edit on the Top Menu Bar
2. Click "Edit Parameters"
3. In the new window, click the + icon
4. Scroll down to "Cold battery foldback starting temperature" select and then "add"
5. Change "Cold Battery Foldback Starting temperature" from 0 to 1, click write.
6. The 6,7 warning should stop.

We'll have a manual out shortly that among other things, will detail flash patterns, warnings etc."

As I recall it was difficult to tell what the blink pattern was outputting and what we thought was 13 or 14 was actually a 5:6.

Quick question on regen - when I shut the throttle I don't have any regen on my Phaserunner, but when I pull the trip-wire I get regen ok. I am using the digital-aux for presets and the pot for PAS level.

Is there a setting in the CA that I can check to see that I have set the CA up correctly?

I have the CA setup like this at the moment:

Input Throttle Mode Pass-Thru
Zero Throttle Threshold 1.00v
Throttle Output Mode Voltage
Min Throttle Output 0.79v
Throt out during Brake 0.5v

Do I need to set the min throttle output to a bigger amount less than 0.8v to enable zero throttle regen with the phaserunner? Or do I merely have enable Proportional Regen set to Yes?

EDIT: set the throttle output to 0.75v and no regen, set it to 0.65 and regen works - proportionally less than when braking. So while the doco said 0.8v I needed a bit less. I've now set ebrake to 0.45 and min throttle to 0.6 and will tinker until I like the ride.

Marc S. said:
Out of luck.
Doesn't change a bit.
(wraps the Phaserunner and puts it back in the box)

As long as this thing 'invents' new warnings and error messages every time I try it out, it doesn't go back into one of my rides. *sigh*

Thanks, anyway!
I actually had this warning pop up today when I was experimenting with some things. Solution was to set foldback start to 1% and foldback end to 0%.

cycborg said:
I actually had this warning pop up today when I was experimenting with some things. Solution was to set foldback start to 1% and foldback end to 0%.

Thanks! I'll try that!

Anyone have any real world experience using the phaserunner with a cyclone 3000w mid drive kit. I've found a youtube clip of one working on a bench but is anyone using this combination in practice?

What's happening with Phaserunner these days. A Mark III version coming out in the next production run? I'd still like to see and officially tuned XML file from Grin for Lightning Rods Big Block and MXUS 3000 motors.

Cheers,

Jason

I was wondering if someone had the Q100 succesfully working in sensor mode. Sensorless mode works pretty fine. Not perfect with my throttle - some delay - not always responsive to it. I was wondering if someone could share their settings if they were getting very satisfying results.

The other issue is regarding the white cable on the Q100 - is it really for the speed sensor. How can I test it.

Tats said:
What do people go up to as the regen current limit? I'm using 8A as per the satiator full charge and considering upping it - I have an em3ev battery.

Hi Tats:

I'm pretty conservative with my batteries and use the fast-charge specification on the cells in my batteries as a guide to the max regen current limit. E.g. If my cells are spec'd for a fast-charge of 2.75A and my battery is configured 6p, then I'd use 6 x 2.75 = 16.5 Amps maximum regen current. It may be safe to go a bit higher, especially if you don't expect to push in more than the fast-charge current for longer than an occasional 20-30 seconds. Also, some cells are rated for faster charge than others. EM3EV can probably tell you the maximum safe charge current for your battery.

Btw, I seldom see more than 20 Amps regeneration current on my bikes, and when I do, I see it for only a few seconds at a time when slowing from a high speed.

If your battery charge and discharge is through the same circuit, then check to see if the BMS imposes any current limit on charging. If your battery uses a separate charge and discharge circuit and if charging through the discharge circuit leaves the battery unprotected against overcharge, then you should set the controller not to regenerate above a certain voltage that is some margin below the full-charge voltage for the battery. BacDoor allows you to set a threshold range near the battery's top voltage to roll off the maximum regeneration current. I recommend something like 4.15v/cell as the maximum regeneration voltage, and I'd start rolling off the current above 4.05v/cell.

Thanks Bill, After testing I've settled on 25a max battery current and 90a phase current for regen - pretty much the max with my setup - loving the free range. And, fixed my halls error....stuffed up the wiring when I changed the connector over. When I pulled the heat shrink back on the phaserunner I could see I didn't have things correct.

This is a seriously good controller. :mrgreen:

Hello, I'm getting Warnings[8]: VdcHighFLDBK and also VdcLowFLDBK. Im using 0.9.9.2 and imported the default.xml. Motor has auto tuned successfully with 20S 72v Lithium battery charged to around 82v. Motor is a cheap 9 continent.

Back