Current Cycles Prototype Buildlog...

Whiplash, loving the build so far, but that image spinningmagnets posted got me thinking about a possible problem you may have.

With my build, getting the gears from the gearbox to the cranks aligned was tedious and could vary between bikes, so a setup very similar to the image but designed to move the crank/gear assembly left or right could be needed. I had to space the gears off the freewheel a specific distance to fit the frame, but a bolt in then adjust solution would be much easier for people who have not just designed a bb drive system.

This would probably be cheaper to have adjustable on the gearbox shaft itself, but it is an issue to keep in mind, as I know my box won't bolt onto different frame geometries perfectly, as the gears won't align properly and risk jumping.

Anyway, cant wait to see what you end up with, see how reliable and adaptable it is. It is looking good so far.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I was hoping to come up with an adapter for the outputshaft to the freewheel that will allow easy left to right adjustment to match the crank gears. I am thinking a simple key on the shaft with two set screws to hold it in place...

Here's where I'm at so far....

Thanks guys, the hardest part is figuring out how to design it so it can be produced fairly quickly...

Thanks! I have a few errands for the family to run today, but then I will be fullthrottle getting this thing final assembled for its first power up (off the bike still) hopefully today!! Videos will be here soon!

On another note, I came upp with what I think is a KILLER idea for building my frames! I woke up last night @ 1:00AM with it in my head but it will allow me to build my frames in literally about an hour with a proper jig and still house a ton of battery and electronics/mechanicals. It should be pretty light too since it uses aluminum side panels that are removeable but also structural. This allows me to build the main frame with my MIG Welder and still have the biggest part of metal involved be aluminum! Ill get pics up when I get some time to try it out!

The assembly looks really good.

I have a suggestion;

You do not need the bearing plates. You can just bore the box tube for your flanged bearings. That will work fine and save you a lot of work, assuming you get the bore spacing spot-on.

This will save a lot of manufacturing time.

Matt

Yeah, that's what I did, but I needed them to take up the thickness of the bearings since they protrude into the box without them and there is not enough room for the gears inside if they do..

I might have been able to find some in a 1/8" thickness, but I doubt they would have enough load capacity..

Whiplash said:
I might have been able to find some in a 1/8" thickness, but I doubt they would have enough load capacity..

How about inserting them from the inside? You will just have the flange thickness to deal with, then, and they will be captured with the flange inside.

Matt

Now that could work. I actually might try that on the next go round! I didn't think about that, there is no reason NOT to do that right? Good idea! Makes me want to re machine the body.... hmmmmmm

WEll, after long last, I have FINALLY got his thing ready to fit to the bike. I just need to figure out a hall mount and I am done and can fit it on the bike!! I am really happy with the end result, but I think I will have to change the way I did the bearing carriers just from a manufacturing standpoint, as they are VERY time consuming... Here is a simple video of it with the gears and all working like it actually will in the bike! This is literally the first time it has been able to transmit any torque since I just finally got the roll pins installed in the shafts. I Need to final fit it to the bike, fit some covers to retain the gear oil, and tear it down and clean/paint the whole box. Then I can do a final assembly using Loc-Tite and grease. This is just dry hand turn in the vid, but you can see its going to be pretty quiet I think! All I can hear is the chain because its totally dry...

[youtube]ENybdyA-3Y8[/youtube]

Yeah, anodizing would be very cool! I LOVE the look of hard anodised stuff too! I will just paint this one, but the production units will be professionally finished...

Should have it all together by this coming weekend, on the bike running hopefully!

The wife has been under the weather lately so only got about an hour to work on this today unfortunately

Thanks, god willing, I should be test riding it this weekend! Once I get some test miles on it and determine that its ready for sale, I will be launching my new site to sell from so stay tuned! E.S. members will be getting a special price too as a thanks fir the help and patience!

I got a good amount done today, I figured out the mounting setup for this bike frame, got the hall mounting bracket figured out, and dry fit the whole thing to the bike! Still need to make end caps to hold the oil, but I wanted to test fit it all first....

Oh yeah, the tire clears by more than an inch and a half in full compression..... I checked! ;)

Pretty compact for 3200 watts output though!!

Attachments

• 090511164645.jpg
    090511164645.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 1,876
Super clean Brian! I am wondering how a plastic shield to protect the motor and chain from debri and grime would look.... I guess I'm just concerned about how these outrunners do in a dirty rocky environment, especially if you want to make these available as a complete package. You should put some Hookworms on there and try to make the Grainge bike race in October. :twisted:

Got any details about that race??

Up in Apple Valley, 'spose you could come through Lucerne Valley, thread here:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=31157&hilit=grange

Thanks! I might try to make it, but I can only go if I can convince the wife to come too! I doubt my little 3k watts will fare very well against these big dogs though! Now, if its a technical hill climb, id be all over it!!!

I'm sure you said it already, but what gear ratio are you going with currently? Are you assuming an 80% of peak RPM for the motor or something else? I read why the chain and not a belt but why not go gears on the motor directly to make the entire system gear driven? Finally, how does it sound with the actual motor at full RPM? Still nice and quiet? Thanks much!

-Mike

Back