Current Cycles Prototype Buildlog...

Yeah, I basically realized these were becoming hard to find and that was the last straw for the design.. I don't know where to get them..

Bazingaaa!!!

http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224349

Thanks for the lead, I will most likely try this motor, if not one very similar, as soon as I can, but no promises on time. Depends on money and workshop access.

Edit continuously as I find more:

http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224349 - slightly smaller, otherwise same.

Here's the thread on those motors:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31019&hilit=Turnigy+alternative

I think Thud ordered sOme and found them to be exactly the same.

What ever came of this project? Did Whip just stop after completing the prototype and felt a lack of market for the drive system?

SO much time and energy went into this it seems a shame to have just come to an abrupt end.

Did any other DIYers continue their own efforts based on this design?

Yes, it was far too difficult to produce in any quantity without CNC equipment. Worked well, but was a bit noisy under load..

Lol, I stopped the design bud sorry..

No problem a CNC machine would make this very doable!

CNC for gears too? There was mention of the straight cut vs helical gears. We're they expensive if sourced to try helical gears or were you just done at that point? I don't recollect discussion on using belts and pulleys, being a motor head it's likely to have been on the napkins in the early design days?

I used straight cut with plans to change to helical if possible for noise. They were off the shelf gears through McMaster Carr. I just modified the shaft bores. The hardest part was keeping the shaft bores in the case evenly spaced. Drills always walk a tiny amount and you only have a few thousandths to work with. I ended up with one of the mesh's a little too tight and it was noisy. The rest were fine. If I had it to do again, I might try solid pressed in shafts and bronse bush the gears themselves. That would make sealing the shafts easier to run an oil bath. Then I'd run ATF for fluid. The oil bath did help a lot with the noise. Also I'd try to find a way to get rid of the primary chain too, its very noisy as well. Don't believe the hype, they make a lot of noise!

Well there are belts and pulley for that as well. Should not be any need to run chains.
In snowmobiles after the variator/cvt there is two stage reducer/jackshaft that drives the front pully inside the track.
As long as I can remember it has always been chain and sprocket with a little dash of ATF or similar oil. Over the last decade or so aftermarket tuning parts now offer belt and pully to replace those sprockets and chain. And that also leads to the removal of the casing/housing as well so it is a weight saver.

So there are plenty of different belt lengths, and keep in mind the largest turbo'ed snowmobiles engines has north of 300 HP these days. So they are high quality strengthen parts. Used for racing and high power machines where weight really is a factor. So those puppets would do great to reduce the chain/sprocket noise.

Or if length is wrong or price is too high there is always karting.

I looked heavily into belts, and you just can't keep the form factor small enough in my opinion. You need more reduction. I think the gears are best.

Back