Custom Build... 2 Speed H.O.B.O Powered e-Cruiser

also, i don't know if you ever tried it, but the "buggy" software has one particularly annoying bug; lyens version of the keywin program doesn't display the successfully transmitted message when it DOES successfully transmit. The keywin software says completed, but lyens drops you failure and two question marks. The question marks are actually the chinese character for success. So if you ever mess with the infineon software again using lyens program, just try the bike upon transmit, because the lyen software does work while telling you it doesn't.
With beefed up traces and more fets methods has run 100v 100amp through infineons over short periods, sucks that they aren't a good solution for the rc crowd, much cheaper then the cc160 right?
BTW beautiful bike, just gorgeous. I covet your frame building skills and experience :)

rodgah said:
I seen jay talking about a throttlizer dieing....wtf i thought you tossed that thing ages ago. Why didnt you use the recumpence dodad....and now your ordering another one :? :? .

The recumpence dodad is what 'Jay' :p killed...it was working we had the hv160 spinning the motor we were all smiles then POW the bec/servo tester blew ...Matt has kindly offered to send out replacement ASAP for me
so i can get mobile again.

GWhy said:
My point is You don't know what the actual settings was ( you were not monitoring the actual output ) It was a modded controller so prob did not correspond to any of the settings in the software. I would say that looking at the vid that my bike when it was geared for 36-38MPH was about the same performance as your bike ( in first gear ? ) and this was with my smaller motor and smaller controller Limited to 3.5kw ( 6fet ) if I change the gearing for 38-40mph the whole performance thing goes down the pan at 3.5kw . What is the speed set for on your bike in 1st gear ?. Im not trying to pick a fight I just would like to try and make sense of why you had so many issues with the e-bike controller not just my benefit but for people also reading this thread.

Yeah soz GWhy didn't mean to snap at you, yes it would have been nice to have some monitoring i did try after
emailing with Justin from ebike.ca to get the old Drain Brain Reid Welsh donated to me few years ago to work alas it is accurate for nothing but voltage. I don't have a speedo on the bike so can't give you accurate numbers on speeds of either gear however i would guess first would of been good for close if not more than 40km/hr and with the upped settings the pull was reasonable but it couldn't do much when in second i would guess 60km/hr would have been doable on loooong flat road...but again these are estimates. Thud has done away with his 18fet controllers running 60plus Volts do to their lack of punch so i doubt the 12fet even on higher volts was going to satisfy in the power department low end throttle control as i have always said was very good GWhy you win that old argument my friend haha :wink: It is not however enough to make me use this controller at the voltage i want to run, unfortunately i will lose some low end throttle control but gain the extra oomphf i'm chasing, i don't want to go fast GWhy 60 clicks is fine, i just want it too get there real real quick when i feel the need to have some fun on the bike rather than cruise about on it, kinda its there if i want it thing haha..Soz if i offended you with my previous post was not my intention i thank you for all the advice you have given in the past mate ;)

Andje said:
that they aren't a good solution for the rc crowd, much cheaper then the cc160 right?
BTW beautiful bike, just gorgeous. I covet your frame building skills and experience

Thats about the size of it mate... yes a bit cheaper ... Thankyou its coming along nicely hopefully
this controller thing will be resolved for us "rc" tradgics haha

KiM

AussieJester said:
we were all smiles then POW the bec/servo tester blew ...Matt has kindly offered to send out replacement ASAP for me
so i can get mobile again...KiM

Awww ! .. come on Kim, you could knock up a throttleiser quicker than a rat up a drainpipe ! :mrgreen:
a few bits of wire, part of a toaster, couple of splashes of solder and bit of duct tape....Bingo ! :lol:
I recon you are just using this as an excuse to sink a few tubes whilst you wait for postie to deliver Matts goodies.
Cheer up mate, after a week like you have had, i would be getting slaughtered too. 8) 8)

Hillhater said:
AussieJester said:
we were all smiles then POW the bec/servo tester blew ...Matt has kindly offered to send out replacement ASAP for me
so i can get mobile again...KiM

Awww ! .. come on Kim, you could knock up a throttleiser quicker than a rat up a drainpipe ! :mrgreen:
a few bits of wire, part of a toaster, couple of splashes of solder and bit of duct tape....Bingo ! :lol:
I recon you are just using this as an excuse to sink a few tubes whilst you wait for postie to deliver Matts goodies.
Cheer up mate, after a week like you have had, i would be getting slaughtered too. 8) 8)

HAHAHA no..with the lighter bike and the hv160 even with the 'good gear' the thotlle is
lets say an 'issue' thats near to being rectified... ;)

So..I been doing work on the bike, lil bit of a drunk post here as
i wait for my ride to watch the Mundine fight (Boxing Match for International readers)

Here's some pics i been takin over last few days with the video camr Kurt so kindy
gave me, its great for video imo, the stills are a little harder to do well
for what it is though and the fact it does hiDeF vid its great lil camera and
shall do well until i can get funds for a better one-->

Carbon_Fiber_Battery_mounting_plate.jpg

In short....the ThudSTeR rewound motor is fixed... i thought about using some
additional heat sinks on the CC HV160 but truth be told its never gotten
anywhere close to too hot for my kind of riding... Hyena, see how the little bus bars have melted?
my bet is that happened when we were fuckin with the bike Tues morning, remember it
went PoW when you turned it on, ...the first time :p i said it must have been the fried dc/dc converter
(which it was) looks like it stood up for long enough to heat the frock outta
the mini bus bars and melt them into the once neatly
arranged (til Jay took to it trying to "fix it")junction box :p
I also ripped into the carbon fiber sheet Mr Recumpence set me :wink: Few
'lightening' holes in there to keep me ol mate Hal happy too ;-P

Back soon with HV160 mounted ...

KiM

Looking great Kim, That CF sheet should really lighten up the bike. It has been great watching this build evolve. You do such a good job of documenting your work and I, as well as many others I am sure, really appreciate it.

Clay

Looking brilliant KiM! Some carbonfibre angle would finish that off perfectly :D Mind you the speed hole'd ally is cool 8)

Paul :D

Cheers guys :wink: ...been doing a lil 'hand filing' to get the panel fitting to the frame
today, also have the ThudSTeR wound Turnigy back on the two speed box need to
sort this gear change tomorrow.

cf_panel_assembly_series_pic_1.jpg

Back soon..

KiM

Nice build Jester, have been looking on this and your first build, and have to tell that its truly an inspiration to see that you make your bikes yourself and actually drive them alot. You and Matt have helped me in making the right choice towards motor/controller combos that I believe in. I made some huge improvement in Inventor 3d program, and its not long before my two turnigys get a new special place to work.

What do you think about the power in one 130b? And how heavy is you and the bike? I'm quite heavy, I am over 220lbs so I need the extra power :)

Ratking said:
What do you think about the power in one 130b? And how heavy is you and the bike?

The power from a stock 130 is amazing when hooked to the hv160 i have recorded
10 000watt on the esc data log in the past, two is massive overkill on a stock framed bike with a standard
wheel base, I am getting flex from the single motor and this is on
a custom frame thick walled tube with reinforcing, they have unbelievable power for their size
the power from two would be totally unusable and complete waste of money IMO... Rodgah
has recently done a dual Astro 3220 build and pulled it apart after a few weeks it was ridiculous, unable to
keep the front wheel on the ground with all his weight on the bars HAAH he even tried strapping
two 2 liter bottles of water to the front forks to add extra weight (as a lil experiment) made zero
difference, minor throttle movements made front wheel lifting fast, made riding it anywhere but
on the street impossible

I'm ~200lbs myself tow the wheelchair behind my other cruiser and still it pulls very hard from
0-55km/hr (geared limited top speed) Would flog your average family car off the mark without
breaking a sweat. This bike as was when last going weighed ~38kilo will be lighter
on rebuild something in the 30-35kilo range i'm guessing, if i lost the actuator and stabilizers
i would break under 30kilo easily. The blue cruiser is a heavier beast damn things 7 foot long haha
it's 45kilo STiLL lighter than a Stealth bomber though LOL ;)

Best of luck with your project :)

KiM

AussieJester said:
Ratking said:
What do you think about the power in one 130b? And how heavy is you and the bike?

The power from a stock 130 is amazing when hooked to the hv160 i have recorded
10 000watt on the esc data log in the past, two is massive overkill on a stock framed bike with a standard
wheel base, I am getting flex from the single motor and this is on
a custom frame thick walled tube with reinforcing, they have unbelievable power for their size
the power from two would be totally unusable and complete waste of money IMO... Rodgah
has recently done a dual Astro 3220 build and pulled it apart after a few weeks it was ridiculous, unable to
keep the front wheel on the ground with all his weight on the bars HAAH he even tried strapping
two 2 liter bottles of water to the front forks to add extra weight (as a lil experiment) made zero
difference, minor throttle movements made front wheel lifting fast, made riding it anywhere but
on the street impossible

I'm ~200lbs myself tow the wheelchair behind my other cruiser and still it pulls very hard from
0-55km/hr (geared limited top speed) Would flog your average family car off the mark without
breaking a sweat. This bike as was when last going weighed ~38kilo will be lighter
on rebuild something in the 30-35kilo range i'm guessing, if i lost the actuator and stabilizers
i would break under 30kilo easily. The blue cruiser is a heavier beast damn things 7 foot long haha
it's 45kilo STiLL lighter than a Stealth bomber though LOL ;)

Best of luck with your project :)

KiM

8) what a post Kim!! your bike is looking amazing...and I know the power of those motors and controllers, shame our Hyena didnt feel the pull of it, the HV and astro combo is a freakin fearsome thing...folks may wonder why I was so keen for deec to open it up? little voice said...ahh pass on this one unless you get a jacket on and some good gloves :lol:

Seriously your bikes rock :mrgreen: :mrgreen: oh and I think the hair is a big improvement...like samson you better not loose any power now?? he he...

HAHA yes the hv160 is an amazing lil ESC the power it puts out and the abuse it can handle is quite remarkable i think anywayz-->

I have this worklog on a forum in OZ and fella there is always keen for updates and bumps the thread when i get slack so i
posted a few things i been upto nothing flash thought i best up them here, i think most of the people following
this thread have seen these pics in pm chat for those that are interested here's what i been upto last week or so

I started working on a new gear change linkage setup, Timma2500 (Paul) bought around
a heap of parts so we scrounged through them and thought something like this would work

CF_gear_change.jpg

^^that was done last week just today i got back working on the bike as i have been busy making a welding
trolley for new welder i bought here's the linkages all bolted up...

CF_2_speed_linkage.jpg

And thought you might like to see the welding trolley-->

Token_Tools_200amp_Inverter_Welder.jpg

took a total of ~3 hours over a few days haha not pushing myself
here LoL...I was given a trolley from kerbside collection by
a friend, it was one of those flower trolley HUGE things you
see in market gardens and Bunnings Nursery etc with dozens of pot
plants on them, was like 1.5meters wide and meter or so
diameter and twice the height it is now in pic haha basically
chopped it in half diameter wise, then chopped an end
off, took meter or so out the middle and joined all back together again
in a smaller version haha turned out all right i think, the wheels were what i was
after mainly, very heavy duty ball bearings on the castors.
Now i can move the welder i couldn't before, painted it with
some 15 year old Kill Rust metal primer i had on the shelf
after mixing the thick paste goo at the bottom of the can with
Metho used one of my old fiberglass brushes to paint it
the paint itself that was my late fathers hence it was nearly
solidified in the can, he's been dead over 12 years LoL ..the cost for trolley?
A a few meters of welding wire everything else was found kerbside collection.

Lil mention about the new welder now i have had a chance to play with the settings a bit
I can't believe how much better it is than me el-cheapo i had gotten used to, heck
i made 4 bike frames with it and did a shitload of other stuff. This inverter welder though
is just amazing, i'm running flux core so, the purists that love their gas setups might snicker haha
the inverter with flux core is a totally different beast IMO it has near zero spatter when
dialed in, it delivers smooth consistent power with a nice big puddle to push along, even a noob could
lay some seriously nice welds with this setup, i couldn't be happier with it's performance
i wont be wasting 140 bucks a year renting a bottle of gas thats for sure.

I hope to have the gear change completed today if i don't get too many interruptions
and distractions...oop Mythbusters finished downloading gotta roll hehhe...

ciao fellas....and Hyena :p

KiM

Awe look at that, a token tools welder for our token tool :p

Nice trolley. What's next ? I suppose you better get the cruiser working first.
My frock bike has been running fine and I've been riding it daily since I saw you, thanks for asking :mrgreen:

KiM, just wanted to say that your battery compartment on this bike is an inspiration to me! I like the single DB-25 for all charging connections, and your bus bar design. I hope that you do not mind if I snag some of your ideas... The quality and precision of your fabrication is superb!

Hyena said:
My frock bike has been running fine and I've been riding it daily since I saw you, thanks for asking :mrgreen:

::sigh:: yes yes Jay we know you can ride your painfully slow accelerating heavy frock thing daily
as i have said time and time again i would rather ride my bike for 5 minutes then sit for a month waiting
for parts than throw a leg over anything with a frock in it :: sick came up in my mouth thinking about riding a frock eew::
they make me tired sleepy and uninterested and thats on a good day, makes me laugh the only real
argument you frock bois got is, "it hasn't broken yet" :mrgreen: :p Where's all your GoPro videos
of you off road jumping 10 foot in the air like a mountain bike is designed for...oh thats right
too heavy rear wheel will collapse on landing handling is piss poor yup yup, keep up with those
on road and gravel paths vids, super exciting stuff, seem one seen em all PM me when you
take to some jumps and start using the MTB for what it's meant for, riding in the mountains, which you have
acres of out your back door, yet, never seen a video of you thrashing through the woods
just ambering along like Miss Daisy on a Sunday ride to Church :p

@BiGMoose thankyou SiR and would be an honor to see you use any idea i come up with, i wish you well with
it mate ;)

KiM

AussieJester said:
Where's all your GoPro videos of you off road jumping 10 foot in the air like a mountain bike is designed for...
The local trails ain't got none of that. I know you won't be happy until see me riding off a cliff though :p

Can your new welder do a job as neat as THIS :lol:

Hyena said:
The local trails ain't got none of that. I know you won't be happy until see me riding off a cliff though :p

Well...If the guys can do this sort of stuff WITHOUT power you should at least be able to manage a few 15-20foot
jumps WITH power but nooooo the frock MTB can't manage that can it Jay, too heavy, too slow, piss poor
handling... yep yep ::nods head:: we know, "but it hasn't broken yet" :roll: :mrgreen:
Keep up with the road vids mate :wink: maybe the whirlie bird GoPRo mount will jaz em up a bit but at the end of
the day when a cripple like me can emulate the exact type of riding your doing in your videos,
using a cruiser no less!, you really have to start asking your self how big of a princess are you Jay ?
or should we just start calling you 'Miss_ Daisy' :mrgreen:

Now, While it would be good too see you do something like this chap-->
[youtube]g3MBLOUG2uA[/youtube]
I won't be holding my breath, not that many cliffs drops on the side of a
of a suburban street... :roll: :mrgreen:

Hyena said:
Can your new welder do a job as neat as THIS :lol:

Absolutely, with you using it :p

KiM

AussieJester said:
Keep up with the road vids mate :wink: maybe the whirlie bird GoPRo mount will jaz em up a bit but at the end of
the day when a cripple like me can emulate the exact type of riding your doing in your videos,
using a cruiser no less!, you really have to start asking your self how big of a princess are you Jay ?
Emulate away my friend. I'm particularly keen to see you out in the surf. You'll be right, you're good at holding your breath aren't you ? :p :lol: :mrgreen:

Hyena said:
AussieJester said:
Emulate away my friend. I'm particularly keen to see you out in the surf. You'll be right, you're good at holding your breath aren't you ? :p :lol: :mrgreen:

HAHAHA sorry Jay i actually had to go find the video i hadn't seen it glad i did
haven't laughed so hard since watching the The How To Stop Cats Pissing On your Car video this morning :lol:

Honestly Jay did you really think bringing up your "surf video" which for all intense and purposes
is footage of you floppy around in the water like a disabled seal, was a good move? isn't exactly
breathtaking footage now is it Jay. Our English friends though, i'm sure loved it, they don't get to see sand on the beach
and blue skies in The Motherland LOL

How about i strap your GoPro to my surf ski and show Endless Sphere members
some actual wave catching footage shall we hrmzz? Have you every actually caught a wave thats moved you
more than 2 meters buddy? "Surf Video" hahaha that'll keep me amused all day i imagine.
Dear me Jay, I could get better footage flopping the GoPro about in the toilet bowl on the end of a piece of string
And! you could of at least edited in a few tits & ass scenes you were at the beach for goodness sake! sheesh...

Now, I did also say i could emulate your riding, There was no riding of anything in that surf video so yes, i could absolutely
emulate exactly what you did, aside from the walking to the water i need to crawl about 5 meters from my chair
to the water at Cottesloe Beach though can wheel straight into the water at Mettems Pool (wheelchair access beach)
Or simply roll into the water at any boat ramp and flop around like a half dead fish for similar footage :mrgreen:

Nice try 'Miss Daisy" <--oh thats gotta stick :lol: but no cigar....again :p

KiM

AussieJester said:
flop around like a half dead fish
hahaha I'll pay that one :lol:

That cat video is awesome, I hadn't seen that. Nicely produced and edited too.

The Cat video is too funny. Almost as funny as your jabs at the poor Hyena, Kim. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The cat video was great, while watching it I started thinking about your bike and the gear shifter youv'e been working on. Im now thinking you could maybe use the car door locking actuator to shift via a button on your handlebars?

I'll get me coat :wink:

Regards
Tom

Hi KiM, that carbon fibre looks awesome mate, well done 8) :D I've been thinking of doing up some side panels for my bike from this sheet: http://www.carbonfiber.com.au/prod1.htm

Even though its a frockie and can't be asthetically improved :cry: :lol:

Its really expensive though ... do you reckon that's a good price for it? Maybe I should try and lay some up myself, I have some epoxy resin sitting here I could use.

Simon.

Back