Custom Build... 2 Speed H.O.B.O Powered e-Cruiser

liveforphysics said:
gwhy! said:
When you first get introduced to electronics they normally use different dia of water pipes as a way of visualising the flow of the electricity fatter pipes = less resistance thinner pipes = more resistance so I can see where mdd0127 was coming from with his thinking. Perhaps a better thing to say is that the shunt is a voltage bottleneck.

Yep. Many stupid analogies exist to visually model electricity for the inept. All just add confusion for them to understand it IMHO.

My point was that the shunt was creating heat. Sorry for saying current bottleneck instead of cause of voltage drop and heat.
justin-le seems to agree here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6779&p=311176&hilit=cycle+analyst+infineon+shunt#p311176

I've just verified that my Lyen 12 fet works really well as is.....so now it's time to mod it! If it works out like I think it will, I want to do another one and send it to KiM. Maybe give it a shot again on the old cruiser for testing or something. :wink:

The cat video was too funny. The break dancing moves they do are crazy!

And as usual, the build looks amazing! There's something about carbon fiber........... :mrgreen:

Simon,

I'd be using atleast the 2mm stuff which is dearer again... If you've got some resin, a budget way would be to get some fibreglass cloth and use an outer layer of carbonfibre fabric to finish it nicely, it'd be alot cheaper.

Or theres a guy down in Manderah who sells 200mm x 600mm sheets of 2mm CF for $80 or 3mm for $100 if thats all you'd need, he's on Ebay.

Paul :D

mdd0127 said:
liveforphysics said:
gwhy! said:
When you first get introduced to electronics they normally use different dia of water pipes as a way of visualising the flow of the electricity fatter pipes = less resistance thinner pipes = more resistance so I can see where mdd0127 was coming from with his thinking. Perhaps a better thing to say is that the shunt is a voltage bottleneck.

Yep. Many stupid analogies exist to visually model electricity for the inept. All just add confusion for them to understand it IMHO.

My point was that the shunt was creating heat. Sorry for saying current bottleneck instead of cause of voltage drop and heat.
justin-le seems to agree here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6779&p=311176&hilit=cycle+analyst+infineon+shunt#p311176

Cool. Glad you're up to speed. People commonly think the shunts are somehow the point at which current is limited rather than just measured and relayed to the mcu to decrease duty cycle% and limit current. Just wanted to avoid more people absorbing that confusion.

Timma2500 said:
Simon,

I'd be using atleast the 2mm stuff which is dearer again... If you've got some resin, a budget way would be to get some fibreglass cloth and use an outer layer of carbonfibre fabric to finish it nicely, it'd be alot cheaper.

Or theres a guy down in Manderah who sells 200mm x 600mm sheets of 2mm CF for $80 or 3mm for $100 if thats all you'd need, he's on Ebay.

Paul :D

Hi Paul, thanks for the advice. I would need a full rectangular piece 500 by 350 to do my two triangles, so that Mandurah supplier's pieces are a little small. Anyway, today I took a ride down to Fibreglass and Resin Supplies on Kew St (I know them of old, though I've seen them recomended on this very thread), just over 4km from home, and rode back one-handed with this clutched under one arm:

P1010757_800x600.jpg

Its 1.25m by 1m 200g/m2 woven carbon cloth. I paid about $80 for it.

Also got this fact sheet:

P1010761_800x600.jpg

Which says how to make a 1mm sheet of with glass cloth sandwiched between two layers of carbon, just as you suggested 8) 8) :) I'm thinking of making triple carbon layer (I thought I had some glass cloth but its 'disappeared' :? ) 400mm by 1m :) I reckon 1mm will be thick enough, but I'll make up a test square first.

Simon.

Will be extremely interested to see how that goes Simon ;) Fiberglas Sales WA i have recommended before
I haven't bought CF from them as yet but plan to when i make the battery/fairing for the bike ;)
Keep us informed of your progress please...

I was in my workshop today working on the tow hitch assembly for the bike when
i smell smoke, i immediately think 'not the foot again' (having burnt it few years ago welding)
Thankfully it was not a limb but the power board i had the welders lead plugged into
seems the ole' wiring can't take it when i turns up the welder a bit haha...it is a 15amp rated welder TBH
i did have the file out to 're-size' the plug on the welders lead so it fit a 'standard' power socket

I have an electrician coming mid next week to fit a dedicated 15amp cable to my workshop for me ;)

I have a few mods i have made to the gear lever also. I wasn't happy with the sideways play
and flex of the rc parts so i came up with another lever using a much sturdier brake post
off a curbside found frame-->

FYI: I think i mentioned i was given a Nokia N95 8GB phone when he upgraded the below pictures were taken with this -->
Final_Gear_change_mechanisim__CF_Baby.jpg

The video camer Kurt kindly donated can be semi permanently mounted on the bike, checked it out already the LCD will be conveniently viewable while
riding so i will actually know what i am filming LoL

It works beauuudifully every time! I think even HiGHS iiii DE Hyena could manage to change gears on this LoL
down for second push lever for 1st can't go wrong ;)

I am still at a cross roads as to what controller i will be mounting up...Damn Luke and ThudMieSTeR
have me thinking about these Sevcon controllers also :: sigh ::
The Kelly controller is an option
also expensive but not near as much as the little sevcons nor do they poses the grunt of the sevcons ... I dunno

More procrastination over controllers as i work on the remaining things needed doing to finish the bike... While mounting
the HV160 will give me the power i seek, it won't give me the reliability i fear and yes, the whole throttle issue from standstill
isn't an issue with a sensored motor setup...

What you guys things about Canary Yellow for the colour of the frame ?

Back soon...

KiM

AJ, what do you think about the Door Lock solenoid, on that Cat video you posted ?? Think it would shift that gearbox, no worries ??

I'm about to paint my house Forest Green, so, if there is any paint left, I will paint the bike the same. That way, when I lean it up against the house, it will appear "invisible". :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like that Canary yellow, myself. That's the high speed color, right ?? :wink: 8) 8) 8)

Harold in CR said:
AJ, what do you think about the Door Lock solenoid, on that Cat video you posted ?? Think it would shift that gearbox, no worries ??

I'm about to paint my house Forest Green, so, if there is any paint left, I will paint the bike the same. That way, when I lean it up against the house, it will appear "invisible". :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like that Canary yellow, myself. That's the high speed color, right ?? :wink: 8) 8) 8)

Door Lock solenoid would likely work extremely well, look shit house strapped to the side of a bike though IMO
The gearbox can be shifted with the lightest touch i have removed a spring Thud had in it and a lil 'pin'
I can change gears by leaning the box from side to side now, no pressure at all to change from 1st to second.
I now use a small spring too hold it in first gear, cable pulls it too second, release cable it shifts back to 1st.

Yellow paint haha didn't think it would be too popular, Rodgah said it would look like some Ricer car with Yellow paint and
all the CF and blue anodizing haha... I should of mentioned it won't be your 'standard' yellow from a Aerosol can...My mate Geoff will be painting it up at his
work in the spray booth, he will be using a fine blue flake and then a blue pearl in the clear over the the yellow, fading the flake from heavy at the front to minimal towards the rear of the frame. It wont be super obvious nothing like the flake you see in ski boats etc haha until you get up close or have it in the right light it wont be obvious AND if i dont like it will only cost 10-15 bucks to have it sandblasted and re-painted another colour :p

Off to pull Thuds 2 Speed apart now, need to drill some holes in the side plates, no no not lightening holes :mrgreen: drilled and tapped holes
i can bolt "chain guard" mounts too...and yes, the chain guard will be 100% carbon fiber WiTH lightening holes :p very
much like the one Timma has on his Spealised, actually exactly like it lol

Back soon with more...have to run me a looooooong extention cable from the rear of the house to my workshop
having fried the bench wiring with the welder yesterday DOH!

KiM

Looking Great mate! esp. with that CF an all, also good drop that james boag and that cat vid was hilarious, did you know he's a Perthite?

looking good as allways Kim.

I Love yellow..
IMG_6613.jpg

yes i wish it was mine.

Yeah I reckon yellow with all the CF could work.
I'm not sure I'd have any polished aluminium bits as well though - I'd paint them black to blend in with the CF.

johnrobholmes said:
Photo 16, that bit is called a barrel adjuster.

Looks absolutely awesome!

Cheers John, all the ones i have are silver anodized jobs or chrome, just ordered a couple of anodized
blue 'barrel adjusters' for $US2.98 More BluE BlinG :) hehe..

KiM

Wait, blue anodized stuff with yellow paint and CF ? :shock:
Have you been taking courses at the Ray Charles school of colour coordination ? :lol:

Yellow and blue and CF will look completely awesome! And this is coming from a flat black and brushed billet type of guy.

I think that the blue is necessary to make the yellow pop.....or purple.....wait.... definitely blue.....

I thought you were going more this direction: :wink:
p4pb4890239.jpg

I think this color will really bring out your eyes though:
p4pb4886535.jpg

Hyena said:
Wait, blue anodized stuff with yellow paint and CF ? :shock:
Have you been taking courses at the Ray Charles school of colour coordination ? :lol:

Like you are the authority on clean presentable bikes :roll: ...do i really need to post a non-photchopped pic
of your ride, Jay? bunch of multi coloured bits with wires wrapped willy nilly around the frame and copious amounts of duct tape
for good measure :roll: breathtaking stuff, and reliable too...oh wait... Blown a frock
haven't we mate, i would say bad luck, but luck had nothing to do with it, all bad design and cheap materials
used to manufacture the frock in the first place is to blame for their unreliability...(frocks unreliable; frocks break; frocks
are inferior to non-frock setups; frocks break; frocks are more suited for dress wearing members of the community
)...

mdd0127 said:
Yellow and blue and CF will look completely awesome! And this is coming from a flat black and brushed billet type of guy.

I think that the blue is necessary to make the yellow pop.....or purple.....wait.... definitely blue.....

Yes it does i have seen it on a few show cars recently, both Geoff and i were at Motorvation month or
so ago checking out different paint schemes, i also have a handful of pics of graphics, one design
in particular i would like on the fairing/battery cover...

Anywayz back to it... OH etard the pink looks good, had a a slalom board (windsurfer) that was predominately
fluro pink, fluro yellow with some fluro green in there too IIRC... the CF pretty much goes with anything
I don't think though pink will go with the blue anodized parts very well.

KiM

Since i saw Mr Recumpence beautiful hand made Carbon fiber and delerin
chain guard, i of course, wanted one myself... like most of the things Matt.S makes...i want LoL-->

So not being able to purchase one, i made one myself! with a few "additions" of my oown :p
and alumnium sides rather than delerin...as i have no delerin closest i have
is white polyethylene which would have stood out like dogs balls..

Here's the pics i took with the Nokia N95 8GB phone after ~3 hours of work on the guard i was given-->

CF_Ali_Chain_guard_series_pic_1.jpg

I had to pull the 2 Speed ThudSTeR BoX apart to drill and tap mounting holes
i was rather nervous at first with all the cogs and slidy bitz ThuD had "lovingly" crafted hehe
now however after much swearing getting grub screws undone (I will never accuse ThudSTeR for not using enough loctite! LOL)
i am a lil more familiar with the ins and outs of it..... until of course it comes to reassembly
then it will be ThuuuuuuuuuuDSTeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeR HeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeLP :mrgreen:

CF_Ali_Chain_guard_series_pic_2.jpg

~2 hours later i had the guard completed.The alumnium has only been sanding
with 120grit then scotch brite for the finish you see in the pics 1-5 After these the
guard was actually modified slightly as such was stripped down again, i sanded and
then rubbed it with scotch brite pad again but really it needs another few minutes worth of rubbing to
get the finish seen in first pics...

Hopefully the sparky will be here tomorrow to do the power cable for my welder
so i can weld the tabs to the frame to mount the tow hitch assembly, stuck
until then unable to use the welder with current flimsy cords...

I will be making the chain guard for the other side of the box tomorrow...

KiM

That looks super clean!
I take it you use the air grinding bit to get the smooth clean curves ? Is it still heaps of work or does it cut through it fairly quickly ?

Whats CF like to cut, grind and shape ? Does it splinter or is it like shaping heavy plastic ?

You're the only guy I know who even puts lightening holes in carbon fibre :lol:

Also, I take back what I said about yellow and blue together, it works well on the WD40 can :p

Hyena said:
That looks super clean!

You're the only guy I know who even puts lightening holes in carbon fibre
Ditto, looks good AJ (and) :D :D

Also, I take back what I said about yellow and blue together, it works well on the WD40 can :p
Well, I don't know - it doesn't look great on a Weagles player, does it? :p :p (Good win on the weekend though.) It does depend on the shade and surface area of each, so will wait and see. At the end of the day though it's your bike and you are the only one who has to like it :wink:

Cheers mate,
GT

Edit: and the more I look at the piccie Thud posted, the better it looks

Back