CYC PHOTON

$1147 CDN from Golden Motor vs $769 CDN for a 750 watt BBS02.
I would be interested if it was closer in price. A torque sensing motor with a 34 tooth chainring would be perfect. The smaller chainrings on the BBS motors give you an awful chainline.

Its about 900 euro’s now shipping to the Netherlands, maybe if the dollar drops a bit more i’ll buy one. For now i bought a tongsheng tszdw-b for my girlfriends bike and have the old version on mine for 10k kilometers now so i will put new. Bearings and change the nylon gear before the thing falls apart like the last one did.

biphaeboh said:
I would be interested if it was closer in price. A torque sensing motor with a 34 tooth chainring would be perfect. The smaller chainrings on the BBS motors give you an awful chainline.
Even at this high price I have to consider this. I want to convert a really good 2.75+ hardtail trail bike, Boost frame, and my options are limited. The chainstays step out around the 32t chainring so the largest possible to fit is 34t. TSDZ2 gear case is far too large to fit, and BBS02 would fit tightish but give me an unusable chain line. Photon looks like it would fit easy but I wonder about replacement chainrings, and are these 12sp compatible?

It is frustrating that the only test footage at the moment is by an idiot, or purely speculative, or trying to fit a frame that was never going to work, CYC really should be getting out ahead of this with a decent presence showing the motor in action since they can't control who gets the first motors and what they do with them.

A rear hub motor would be OK if cheap enough, but I haven't found a geared hub that will fit 148x12 Boost thru axle. Presently, CYC is my only option (mid or hub) for this frame.

hindesite said:
biphaeboh said:
Even at this high price I have to consider this. I want to convert a really good 2.75+ hardtail trail bike, Boost frame, and my options are limited. The chainstays step out around the 32t chainring so the largest possible to fit is 34t. TSDZ2 gear case is far too large to fit, and BBS02 would fit tightish but give me an unusable chain line. Photon looks like it would fit easy but I wonder about replacement chainrings, and are these 12sp compatible?

It is frustrating that the only test footage at the moment is by an idiot, or purely speculative, or trying to fit a frame that was never going to work, CYC really should be getting out ahead of this with a decent presence showing the motor in action since they can't control who gets the first motors and what they do with them.

A rear hub motor would be OK if cheap enough, but I haven't found a geared hub that will fit 148x12 Boost thru axle. Presently, CYC is my only option (mid or hub) for this frame.

see this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuHOvUf6vSQ&t=124s

pxl666 said:
hindesite said:

see this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuHOvUf6vSQ&t=124s

Yeah, seen that. What a waste of space like most of the Photon coverage (though Electrify Bike are pretty good). Not helpful at all. The guy is buying another frame and it will be interesting to see how that works out. His riding in NYC is absolutely insane...

Read about this actual CYC Photon user:
Nice to finally see a real user review. Looks like they are happy with it so far.

I dont hear any mention of top speed or torque? Ive been hanging back buying a BBSHD on reviews (hands on, video) on this motor and strangely still nothing.

I dont hear any mention of top speed or torque? Ive been hanging back buying a BBSHD on reviews (hands on, video) on this motor and strangely still nothing.
I think it is a very good reason you nobody give a good review of it.An honest review would proparly kill the sale before it start.It is a small motor withouth place for big gear reduction.So dont expect much

The highest I went has been 28 mph. I'm using the 38 tooth chainring coupled to an Alfine 8 with a 16 tooth cog and 13s (48v) battery. It feels like I'm leaving a little bit on the table. I saw somewhere that even in the US there's a limitation set on it but I don't know any way to defeat it. It's definitely is more powerful than the TSDZ2.

I've never ridden a BBSHD but based on size and specs, it had better be more powerful. They're very different and anyone who would buy them are going to have very different priorities.

Edit: I just found where I saw the US speed limitation

This is great because when I hit 28 I definitely felt it "stop" on me, felt like a cartoon character pedaling in mid-air :) . There is a second app that you need a password for and I think I could probably defeat the limit using that one. This thing could easily pass 30 with my configuration, of course with pedal power. With throttle alone most probably not, but I don't have throttle connected.

Last edited:
The highest I went has been 28 mph. I'm using the 38 tooth chainring coupled to an Alfine 8 with a 16 tooth cog and 13s (48v) battery. It feels like I'm leaving a little bit on the table. I saw somewhere that even in the US there's a limitation set on it but I don't know any way to defeat it. It's definitely is more powerful than the TSDZ2.

I've never ridden a BBSHD but based on size and specs, it had better be more powerful. They're very different and anyone who would buy them are going to have very different priorities.

This is great because when I hit 28 I definitely felt it "stop" on me, felt like a cartoon character pedaling in mid-air :) . There is a second app that you need a password for and I think I could probably defeat the limit using that one. This thing could easily pass 30 with my configuration, of course with pedal power. With throttle alone most probably not, but I don't have throttle connected.
Sounds like a 30+ mph motor to me.. Don't have a throttle connected? What planet are you from, bro? Peddles are gey.. :LOL:

Sounds like a 30+ mph motor to me.. Don't have a throttle connected? What planet are you from, bro? Peddles are gey.. :LOL:
Planet Fitness 😅

Fact is, I live the city so throttle would just not be fun. Too much start/stopping. I also drive a stick shift car, so go figure :rolleyes:

Last edited:

High Voltage dude will soon do a full test of the motor.

Do you feel any extra resistance when pedaling without assistance ? What is the highest motor temperature you ever reached under heavy load?

Do you feel any extra resistance when pedaling without assistance ? What is the highest motor temperature you ever reached under heavy load?
No discernible resistance. And no play in the crank either (TSDZ2 👀).

About temperature. I haven't really watched carefully but what I've seen is that the battery can get to around 120° f but the motor stays well under 100. From what I've seen, much lower. I'll be traveling a bit but when I get back home I'll check it out more carefully, especially if I can defeat the speed limit. The temperature readings seem very accurate. It's cool being able to tell the weather from it when I get back on coming out of a store 🙂.

But basically, when it comes to questions about noise, resistance and temperature I think it all comes back to the build quality, which is excellent.

Edit: about temperature, I'm riding around 45° outside temperature mostly. So take that for what it's worth.

Laughs at "US speed limitation" - Can not compute. My whole reason for finally building an electric mountain bike out of my Giant Talon 1 is so I can scream at crazy speeds up 1-way streets going the wrong way, and hop curbs blowing by stagnant traffic while side kicking children off of their tricycles who are clearly in the way of THE ROAD KING.

Attachments

• Redhead afro man.jpg
    Redhead afro man.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0
Laughs at "US speed limitation" - Can not compute. My whole reason for finally building an electric mountain bike out of my Giant Talon 1 is so I can scream at crazy speeds up 1-way streets going the wrong way, and hop curbs blowing by stagnant traffic while side kicking children off of their tricycles who are clearly in the way of THE ROAD KING.
I just saw where in the app defeat it. It was right there the whole time 🤦‍♂️. I moved it to "unrestricted" but probably won't get a chance to test it until next week.

Back