Does anyone have details on Husqvarna's battery interface? PowerPole connectors

sa2tms

100 µW
Hi. Recently I've been looking at Husqvarna's electric tools like chainsaws and noticed that they use Anderson PowerPole connectors (PP45 as far as I can tell) and I'm wondering if anyone knows what the pinout is? There's four PP45 connectors and the outermost two are obviously for power. The middle two are possibly for balancing. In addition there is a "mystery connector" in the middle which doesn't appear to be a PP45 connector but something else, or perhaps an Anderson connector I'm not aware of. According to Husqvarna support these are for communication, presumably UART? Overall I'm excited that Husqvarna uses Anderson connectors, but to really "sell" me I'd like to know I'd be able to use these batteries for other purposes.

Here's what I found elsewhere on the net so far:

Attachments

• mpv-shot0001.jpg
    mpv-shot0001.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 2
positiive +
negative -
temp and signal - or some type of signaling protocol transimission line that might need 2 conductors.

I dont think you can tell from pp45 and others, from the housing anyways. The size of the blade conductor in the switch would be the determining factor. If I am not mistaken you can interchange other pp housing with different pp#'s blades (the metal bit the wire is attached to) other then 45's in the same housing, I could be totally wrong on that. PP30 and a higher then 45 one. You can check that info easily yourself.

It'd be a top notch proprietary system that will protect itself with a well known brand like Husq vs shitty brands like Cry-Obi.

I haven't seen those packs personally, so I don't know what those inboard contacts are for. What voltages do you measure, either AC or DC, between the main - contact and each of the others?

I dont think you can tell from pp45 and others, from the housing anyways. The size of the blade conductor in the switch would be the determining factor. If I am not mistaken you can interchange other pp housing with different pp#'s blades (the metal bit the wire is attached to) other then 45's in the same housing, I could be totally wrong on that. PP30 and a higher then 45 one.
The powerpole (PP) series uses several ratings of contacts that are all the same physical size, but have different gauge crimp tubes. So the PP45 housing is the same one as for lower ratings. You may see the housings listed as PP15-45 as a range rather than just a specific size, because of that.

From there it jumps up to the >pinkyfinger-sized PP75 housing, with proportionally larger contacts, but the ones in the image do not appear to be that large. Almost certainly not the PP180s (closer to thumb-sized or larger). ;)

There are also at least two versions of every "size" contact that have different retention forces, to make them easier or harder to unplug depending on their purpose.

What voltages do you measure, either AC or DC, between the main - contact and each of the others?
I haven't bought anything yet. Right now I'd like to get a feel for what the Husqvarna system is like, if anyone's RE'd the protocol etc.

Back