Dog attack, I got sprayed with pepper spray, battery stolen

Handguns in Texas... elsewhere...
Picture worth 1000 words. Maybe take a water bottle. Hammer a nail thru the top to make a hole. Instant squirter in water bottle cage. Makes it easy to drink and drive too, so don't use battery acid.
Some dogs scared of water. Then maybe have time to think about pepper spray for the 2nd course. Dogman likes to chase their asses home. So do I.
CIMG1056.JPG

speedmd said:
One thing I learned about dogs over the years is that they fall into two categories. Ones that respond to a very load "NO" and the ones that do not. If they flinch at all at the load "NO :!: ", you can play tricks on them. If not, your in for a death battle....
Believe me, NO one dog wants to get into a death battle with a human who is acting like the predator that he is.
It might test a try if there is a pack behind him, yet it is far from its nature and it will be very careful at first tries.
Even a dog that is trained to attack, will be very reluctant to try a second attempt on a man who is willing to fight back, and it will do all that it can to avoid contact with one who is deliberately going for it.

Try this : Observe how a cat is moving its head and looks when he sees a prey, look at how it slowly shifts its shoulder balance and stretches its body in a slow rhythm toward the target while taking the scent in short successive nose sniffs . Now look at dogs in the same manner, most of them will piss themselves off and you don't need to say a word.

Then try this: Go on all four and rhythmically low, slowly try to close circle a dog's head and looking for its shoulder; no matter how dominant it is, it will never let you come close enough to engage the fight, unless it is trapped and has no escape route. The dog is a coward only looking for a better coward, and some are pretty good at finding one. Yet it has the instinct to know its own weakness, and to recognize a predator attitude. If you can look at it like it is your prey, it will sure feel like one.

dnmun said:
i think something that shoots out jellied gasoline directly onto the dog and ignites it would be the ticket. you could have nozzle that sprays it first and then click a little igniter on the last of the squirt.

if you wanna use a gun, then get one of the little derringers with one or two shots and fit in you hand. they are just .22 caliber so the bullet would not damage anything when you missed. not too much damage anyway.

The point of a gun would be for life and death situations, like packs of dogs. Theoretically, you'd outrun them but when the sh1t hits the fan (You run over one and it knocks you off, you can't accelerate quickly enough, etc.), you have some kind of backup option that'd be good for multiple assailants. Sure, tasers are good and all, but it's pretty much a one-dog-at-a-time affair at close range, which sounds like a bad idea with a pack of 5-6 larger dogs. Same with pepper spray and a knife.

So, obviously, I'd want one of those guns with a 17 round magazine.

Remember, the sh1t hits the fan, life or death situations. Not your mangy one mutt or two kind of situations.

Right now, that's just "ideal". I'm thinking I can probably get by without a gun, so I'm not getting it, and I think I'd rather buy a car for my daily travels than to need to carry a gun fending off packs of dogs, but if I were *really* devoted to e-biking in this town, then it seems like it'd be ideal. Of course, exhaust all other options first, if you can...

Believe me, NO one dog wants to get into a death battle with a human who is acting like the predator that he is.

Not so sure, depends on the dog. I have seen some crazy animals. Once our Sammy was outside barking up a storm. More than ussual. :p We could tell it was the intruder bark but at highest level. After going outside looking around with my spot light and trying to gather what he was trying to convey as soo urgent, I noticed he was barking up the tree he was tied to.

Dumb ass dog treed a 400 plus pound black bear, that was just 20 feet above our heads. Maybe he was not smart enough to be scared of a clearly dangerous critter. Never saw anything like this crazy f,n dog. Glad he was on my side on this one. Near broke my fingers in his collar loop just to pull him into the house.

swbluto said:
chroot said:
Don't carry the handgun I.E. Desert Eagle, I guaranteed you will land in the jail no time.

It's a sad day when a man can't carry a gun to save his life from vicious animals without fear of being jailed.

Oh wait, this is America, 21st century. I forgot. Today we have cars, and the associated financial obligations to the oil and insurance industries and these ebike thingies are really just life and death on all fronts, aren't they? Rabid animals, cars, etc.

Well said. Reading this makes me want to rant about gun control and it's histories, but I will resist the temptation.

speedmd said:

Not so sure, depends on the dog. I have seen some crazy animals. Once our Sammy was outside barking up a storm. More than ussual. :p We could tell it was the intruder bark but at highest level. After going outside looking around with my spot light and trying to gather what he was trying to convey as soo urgent, I noticed he was barking up the tree he was tied to.

Dumb ass dog treed a 400 plus pound black bear, that was just 20 feet above our heads. Maybe he was not smart enough to be scared of a clearly dangerous critter. Never saw anything like this crazy f,n dog. Glad he was on my side on this one. Near broke my fingers in his collar loop just to pull him into the house.
A bear is just like humans: Some are cowards, and dogs are good at testing the coward. What do you believe would have happened if the bear had decided that a dog is not worth worrying for or worse, that it could be a good lumch ?

You can bet the dog would have been at your door whining to come inside.

Agree, he was a sitting duck there all tied up. Still, had no fear snapping at the big critter relentlessly and giving him just enough room to get away from him and get up the tree. Bravest be it one of the dumbest things I have ever witnessed, and much more than I would suspect most any other creature doing in the situation. Most guys would have wet themselves. I understood clearly the reason they call them man's best friend that night. IMO you may be barking up the wrong tree :p thinking he would have given up unless mortally wounded.

Last year I ran into 4 black bears coming up to and even onto the road on separate rides. Closest one was within 100 feet of me and stopped on the road just in front of me forcing me to stop/turn around. No boo-boos, all good size, at least twice my size. They seemed as fascinated by me as I was of them. Can not say it was not scary being in shorts and tee shirt and having nothing but a 15 pound bike, no pump and near empty water bottles at my disposal. They were not comfy with me speaking to them so they quickly vanished into the brush. They run very fast. If your not heading down hill, you will need a very fast sprint to get away from them if they decide to turn on you. At least faster than the guy next to you. :twisted: Seriously, I was way to close to a few of them.

HAROX said:
Kill 'em with kindness. They'll fight each other for beefsteak

I think those are what you carry when you want to go target practice riding, guaranteed to get the dogs chasing you :)

-Mike

you guys and yer damn target pistols :mrgreen:
no really... i have no good answers for something that wants to eat my leg, mwkeefer.
except this look :twisted: which says "i see my next meal".

Ya know, I'm thinking there's just a lot of roaming dogs in my town in the last 2 years.

I remember how I experienced 0 dogs in all my e-biking and walking around in the first year or two and I biked a lot.

But, within the last year, I've had first-hand encounters with dogs about 7 times and I've traveled less than 1/4th the distance in total. :shock:

Two times with homeless people occupying a nearby forest, and they brought their doggies along and five times on bike in various parts. I've only had "confrontations" about twice, as I outran 3 of them. The homeless people occupying the forested area was an oddity itself, because the people didn't look stereotypically "homeless" and I've never experienced that in the past.

Looking into my local area via google, it appears there's been reports of domestic dog packs going around killing cats, so the pack I saw the other day suggests they're more common than in the past.

Curiously, it looks like there's been reports from 2011 of a pack of 5 large dog killing 100s of animals, mainly operating at night. Interesting that I saw a pack of 5-6 large dogs crossing the street one night... (I don't ride at night anymore, as a rule, and I'm starting to think that was a good decision for more reasons than dangerous drivers at night.)

I guess it's because of the great recession and how my city isn't exactly faring that well. My city's unemployment rate is about 2 percentage points higher than the national average, so I'm guessing some people are finding out they can't afford to take care of their doggie and they don't want to/can't pay the impound fee. It's hard to believe that people have collectively and suddenly become so less diligent about making sure the dog doesn't escape. I'm wondering if this trend might be playing out in other areas? Some Californian cities, maybe?

We call them coyotes and they should be shot on site. That goes for domestic packs attacking things also. Dangerous critters. Dogs with collars running loose is easily taken care of with a cell phone if you have a working police force. Agree with things getting bad, and it goes with the unchecked speeding, littering and general decline of social norms. Cops need to kick ass or get fired. Our town they want to direct traffic for the pole workers rather than ticket dangerous drivers. When I was a kid you could not change the light bulbs on your car without getting pulled over / impounded but now they drive around with 10 million candle power pointed in everyone's face. Forget putting pipes on or jacking them much. Now, you can drive a circus truck and the cops think it's cool. Never mind all the part time hell's angles running around with straight pipes on their home made wonders.
images
Where is pewee when you need him. :p

These days If I encounter a loose dog that repeats his aggression toward me on one of my regular rides, I stop and yell at the top of my voice, "YOUR DOG IS IN THE ROAD".... repeat "YOUR DOG IS IN THE ROAD", sometimes a dozen times or until the dog cowards away or the neighbors start to look/ come out so I can get the message to the owner. Loud enough that the folks can hear it way back in the back yard or over the telle. One guy came out of his shack a few years back and told me he was going to call the cops. He shut up and took his dog away once I said "good, we will all have a good chat".

Good approach. The dog always backed off eh? Would have been fine to have the guy call cops, who would call animal control and take his dog.

Packs of loose dogs about calls for dogfishing. Anybody else ever see that old Nat Lampoon story? Rednecks riding in the back of pickups with fishing poles baited with steak. Trolling for loose dogs.

Seriously, time for a dog hunt in your town.

I have kept big packs of bloodounds, that would gleefully tree a mountain lion. But I could control the whole pack with a look. I don't know what the real answer is for those who don't have that skill.

One thing I've learned, nearly every dog knows what a throwing motion means. A few good throwing rocks in a handlebar bag may be all you really need.

It's a great story for some random cartoons episode, it has been the hell of a bad day but eventually you will laugh abot it :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/10/pit-bull-terriers-kill-jogger?guni=Network+front%3Anetwork-front+main-3+Main+trailblock%3ANetwork+front+-+main+trailblock%3APosition14

Jogger in Los Angeles killed by a dog. The article proposes a similar theory that swbluto suggested, someone dumped their dog some place. Yikes.

I doubt my bike could outrun a dog, dogs can move pretty fast. For example, a german sheppard can top out at 30-32mph.

bowlofsalad said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/10/pit-bull-terriers-kill-jogger?guni=Network+front%3Anetwork-front+main-3+Main+trailblock%3ANetwork+front+-+main+trailblock%3APosition14

Jogger in Los Angeles killed by a dog. The article proposes a similar theory that swbluto suggested, someone dumped their dog some place. Yikes.

I doubt my bike could outrun a dog, dogs can move pretty fast. For example, a german sheppard can top out at 30-32mph.

Sad thing about California, they have some of the strictest weapons laws in the country. Almost every weapon I looked at was banned in CA: Pepper spray (Has to be "single use" size; not good for multiple assailants), Stun Baton, Guns, Cane Sword. Basically any chance of surviving a dog-pack attack.

bowlofsalad said:

And, if you could, it gets pretty scary when you're going 32 mph and the dog has no sense of traffic laws, so you're blowing through intersections and stoplights like they don't matter. Can be pretty dangerous...

(Luckily, in one incident, I was blowing thru intersections in a pretty quiet neighborhood, but I can easily imagine that not being so safe in other neighborhoods.)

Well I've received all of my weaponry!

First strategy: outrun them. If the situation is way too dangerous to blow through intersections, confront them.

An air-horn which seems like it should be effective against most of the smaller dogs and all but the larger more aggressive dogs or attack dogs.

If that doesn't stop them, pepper spray. (Assuming my aviator goggles are on...)

If that's not an effective deterrent, then my stun baton seems like it should work pretty well. The thing doesn't require a "charge period" or anything, as soon as I turn on the on-off switch and press down the button, instant high-voltage on demand. It makes a pretty loud crackling sound too, which scared the bajeebies out of my room-mates, hehe.

Now, I'm thinking the next step in the defense arsenal should be some kind of lethal weapon, as there are reports online of nothing stopping the more aggressive dog besides death, as the more aggressive dogs seem to be fight-to-the-death kind of guys. I haven't decided if I'm going to be going with a cane sword or a 9 mm handgun, but I'm thinking that's coming down the line. (It seems the more reputable 9mm ammunition is out pretty much everywhere. :/)

If I go with one of those cane swords, I'm imagining the stun baton in my left hand and the sword in my right; stun 'em first, disembowel them second.

(Now I really wouldn't kill them in real life... Now if they came back to attack... Sure I would... Or if they were in a large-ish dog pack where I need to dispatch as many as quickly as possible.)

By the ways, my research suggests that almost all modern people are utterly clueless about self-defense against animals.

At one blade website, almost all suggested a 4-7 inch hand blade, but if you looked at what people used in the past like during the medieval times when they actually did kill wild animals as part of everyday life, often they used a 30 inch short sword or comparable. So I'm thinking a cane sword is probably a little bit more effective than a hand blade.

In other research, rabies seems to be mostly eradicated from the US. I think there was less than 10 cases last year, despite something like 300,000 dog bites requiring hospitalization.

I'm pretty sure if I do come across a dangerous dog pack that starts chasing me, I'm giving up on biking regardless of the outcome.

My batteries are taking forever to ship from the hobbycity's USA warehouse. Ordered them over a week ago and their warehouse is purportedly in the same state as mine, so I would've expected them by now.

[youtube]Y7ozTWYvk2o[/youtube]

300k dog attacks requiring hospitalization? each year? i read about some kids getting killed by dogs on a regular basis. chewing peoples faces.

when i was a kid i got jumped by a dog and had to hang onto his throat for dear life to keep him off of me because he was as large as me then.

i vote for gasoline in the squirt bottle and then an igniter on the end that clicks when you quit squeezing the squirt bottle.

chinese and koreans eat roasted dogs so maybe it would find a suitable place on someone's table.

Wow, I'm a big dog lover, but I understand your concern. When I was a kid and I had a paper route I actually started to be scared by dogs, since they were so unpredictable. I'm surprised you couldn't outrun the thing on your ebike though.

Sorry to hear everything man, hope everything gets resolved quickly.

Something longer like a old frame pump will help keep things at bay and if caught up in some gnarly jaws, it can be replaced.

I saw my first black bear of the season yesterday on my ride. Crossed the road running a few hundred feet ahead of me. Good size and healthy looking much like the one in this photo.
blackbear.jpg

Woods are leafing out so they have some cover now. Very close to town.

Recently I was at a local bike shop and a guy started talking to me about my bicycle. It wasn't obvious to me at the time, but he wanted to talk about the dangers of wild animals. What he told me sounded interesting at the least. He said that if you ride out to the country, you should always carry a pistol, because they are carrying trailers of dangerous animals and releasing them in various places likely under the idea of biodiversity. His argument was that our grandfathers killed these animals off like wolves, cougars and so on for a reason. He argued that lots of these animals can and do attack and kill people, and that wolves often take everything but drops of blood with them to their den.

His words reminded me of this discussion. Being chased by a dog can be kind of a worrying experience, but I suspect a dog might be easier to fight off than a cougar, bear, or pack of wolves. But a pack of dogs seems about on par with any of those other ideas. In any case, he advised extreme caution. I hear of some riding towards mountains and such, with our extreme range on ebikes, I think these ideas are very important to be aware of.

Wire up an ultra-capacitor bank parallel with your battery pack, then wrap the outside with 422 turns of 24ga copper magnet wire and then 422 turns of the same wire opposite twist around your head (like a crown). You have to buy a bunch of those thorium lantern mantles to assemble a thorium belt (min 3.119" wide x your waist size), you must have this belt on for this to work. This only works with CA V2.3 and the time module (get one from ebikes.ca). Connect the time module to the CA and then input the date and time, but 5 minutes before the dog attack. Now get up to 28.8 mph and pull the positive battery cable off the battery (not the caps!) and when the ultra-caps fuse to the motor...this would take a whole other post to explain the process, but basically you will end up where you were 5 minutes ago so you can just take a different path to avoid the dog all together.

Back