Dog attack, I got sprayed with pepper spray, battery stolen

syv6nq.jpg

I dont know a single soul who roams with pepper spray at the ready, I thought pepper spray is illegal no matter where you are. It would be like roaming around with a concealed knife. But hey, its not like where I am at we are gun crazy, where its our god given right to roam around with a 100 bullet weapon for hunting purposes. :lol:

markz said:
I dont know a single soul who roams with pepper spray at the ready, I thought pepper spray is illegal no matter where you are. It would be like roaming around with a concealed knife. But hey, its not like where I am at we are gun crazy, where its our god given right to roam around with a 100 bullet weapon for hunting purposes. :lol:
Tell that to women rape victims. What's the matter with you?

The last post is 6 yrs old but its the right thread instead of starting a whole new thread.

I almost got bitten by a dog today, it was nipping at my ankle and I was ready to kick its head in. Luckily the dog fuccked off just in time.
Minutes before that happened, another dog walker had their dog chasing me riding my ebike. It seems to happen a lot, I just hope the dog got back to its owner, but it was a tad far.... not my problem. I tend to go full throttle once dogs start chasing me but this time, I kind of let off the throttle to let the dog run further away from its owner.

Until next time dogs, until next time.

markz said:
... I kind of let off the throttle to let the dog run further away from its owner.

Until next time dogs, until next time.

That is the right thing to do.
Next time you see this dog, it will be on leash.

If you see a dog walker in a MTB trail and the leash is one of those plastic reel with 25 ft of leash, target the dog. I mean, ride straight to the dog, that is your only good choice. If you try to avoid, the dog is likely to pull the leash at the last moment and you can catch it with your crank, then pull the dog and the owner behind you in the trail. Believe me you don’t want that to happen, especially when the owner is an old lady. And, you can’t decently target the owner, although their reaction would be more predictable than the dog. But, targeting the dog works good, for he will evade to his owner’s side of the trail most of the time.

Riding at the dog is more likely to intimidate a friendly dog than the mean one that is just thankful for your coming right to him and sparing him some effort.

I'm reading this, don't remember the thread at all but I posted in it. I remember in grade school I had a paper route in a semirural area. Third world countries are the only place with dogs running loose? Is that what Southern California is? We've always had that. I carried doggie treats and one powerful battery powered squirt gun with a mix of water and a little ammonia, a little cayenne pepper, maybe something else.

Usually if they don't stop for the dog biscuits or whatever, they're going to be a problem. Don't know if he bit or just ran into them, but one tore out nearly half my spokes on the front wheel. A few got a kick in the snout, but a squirt in the face if they got within maybe 20 feet seriously discouraged them, let's say it was 'Mood altering.'

My sister lived out in the country and two big dogs showed up at her place, as in somebody must have dumped them from their car. One night there were shots right near her house, meaning on the land where there shouldn't have been any shots. In the morning one dog was wounded and the other was dead. Poachers and thieves that were always a problem for her, encountering dogs in the night. The one lived. She got to liking having it around.

So she had it in the house one night and it was barking holy terror and wanted out, so she let it go. Silently it sprinted into the dark. Suddenly there was some loud swearing and a shot, then what you might call the sound of a little street justice as my sister hoped it was whomever shot the dog before that was receiving some payback. A car started on the property, too close to be on the public road, then the dog came back seeming proud of himself. With what my sister called signs that the dog got some blue jeans and a bit of the leg that was in them.

It was official, the dog had a home.

I discovered an effective dog deterrent many years ago. I've used it to keep three nasty, good-sized (bad-sized?) dogs at bay at once, and to send single dogs running. It's non-toxic, cheap and I carry it anyway. What is this magic dog deterrent?

Water. The water in my water bottle. Dogs, and in fact many beasties, HATE to be sprayed in the face with anything - even water. Carry an almost full water bottle and you can either get away from a dog (or with practice, three dogs) or at least keep it/them from biting you. If you like a little lemon in your water, then you have something that will also irritate their eyes without harming them, making them more likely to break off the chase.

Throttle till the dog stops chasing. Then turn and chase back is what I do. It can depend on the breed, pit bulls I get wary of, but not a Rottweiler.

This works for me because I fear no dog. I used the name dogman for a reason. Any route I ride all the time, dogs get taught to stay in the yard, and not chase me. I don't hurt dogs, I don't mean that, I mess with their heads till they don't chase me. It freaks them out when a human has zero fear of them.

Sometimes a dog will still attack, then I simply kick its ass. hard. My next door neighbors dog was doing that, and would not learn. Kicked its ass over and over. Well, he started keeping his distance from me, but still attacked everybody he could get at to make them run. Me he just did a run at me, then he'd keep away from my reach.

I kept telling the guy his dog was attacking me any time I took out the trash, and I would never sue him. But his dog was attacking people and the lawsuit would come. After he got rid of the mutt, people started walking their dogs and riding bikes up and down my street again.

When I just read the tile I thought someone got their dog to attack you, sprayed you with pepper spray and stole your battery. :lol:

Only ever had an issue with small mean dogs. They chase and I just full throttle out as I would hate to get a dog caught up in the drive train. Had a small dog chase me down the street on my Esk8 chomping at my wear wheels. If he got a bite into the wheel I'd fall pretty hard and the dog would probably die.

Sometimes just slowing down and stopping if the owner is around is enough. Most dogs don't want to attack they just enjoy the chase.

uuhoever said:
When I just read the tile I thought someone got their dog to attack you, sprayed you with pepper spray and stole your battery. :lol:

He's not here anymore. If he WAS, he might start with a theory of how the dog was sicced on him to trick him into pepper spraying himself and they could then take the battery. In fact, he might have been shot at during the ordeal. And it was some woman's fault.

I went fishing today, just about caught a dog. Luckily the point 3 point lure never caught either dog. The one dog got tangled in the line, and I kept on reeling in the line. Its common for dog owners to use ramps to allow their dogs loose to jump into the river. Its also a great spot to fish sometimes when theres no dogs around.

So a dog rang alongside you and barked (no attack), you accidentally sprayed yourself with pepper spray, you crashed because of the aforementioned and then while your bike was unattended your battery was stolen. Jesus dude, get your shit together.

Sorry, short on patience due to current geo-political issues......

Wolfeman said:
So a dog rang alongside you and barked (no attack), you accidentally sprayed yourself with pepper spray, you crashed because of the aforementioned and then while your bike was unattended your battery was stolen. Jesus dude, get your shit together.

Sorry, short on patience due to current geo-political issues......

Homecheese posted that over seven years ago. Yeah, he’s a self-defeating sack. But who knows what’s up with him now? More importantly, who cares?

I was reading some of his/her last posts, yeah that is not good. I didn't realize he/she kinda went off the deep end like that.
Oh well, sheeit happens.

No dog stories, but there will be one sooner or later.

Until next time dogs!

Dauntless said:
uuhoever said:

He's not here anymore. If he WAS, he might start with a theory of how the dog was sicced on him to trick him into pepper spraying himself and they could then take the battery. In fact, he might have been shot at during the ordeal. And it was some woman's fault.

I just wish we could have him here explaining himself, but of course that would require revealing his new name. I mean Chalo can demonstrate his opinion hasn't changed even if the city has without admitting who he is, but the Blut pretty much would have to say 'Hey, it's me. . . .'

It would be funny if the dog that attacked him was the same stray he kept threatening to shoot, followed him cross country. Maybe even started answering to 'Sam.'

Swbluto was funny with his dog adventure, but really ignorant about dogs, and weapons. :wink:

Dogs are little, nervous, begging, scared animals. You can make them piss on their own tail, just looking at them like they are food.

Weapons, well... A man with any tool, will do something stupid with it sooner or later.

MadRhino said:
Dogs are little, nervous, begging, scared animals. You can make them piss on their own tail, just looking at them like they are food.
I don't think you've met many of the dogs I've met. ;)

amberwolf said:
MadRhino said:
I don't think you've met many of the dogs I've met. ;)

I’ve met all kind of dogs, and had a kennel for 17 years with Bouviers des flandres, Labrador retrievers, American Staffordshire terriers, and Neapolitan Mastiffs.

But I have spent my youth with bulls and horses, and had horses all my life. So I never considered dogs dangerous. I got bitten some times (mostly splitting fights), but it never did change my attitude towards them. After you got hurt by bulls and horses, a dog is... only a dog.

miro13car said:
where I live in Calgary, Canada,
I really need pepper spray but not for dogs.
for aggressive people, yes.

Really, I havent really run across too many aggressive people. You talking walkers, runners, and that or caged auto fuckwads?
I find most people to be a deer in head lights or oblivious. Maybe its your stature, that can have a big effect on how people perceive you and become aggressive. I'm a big fella so no one really messes with me, though I had an incident awhile ago that I let slide, though I did mess with him for a bit without a smile on my face.

I just steer directly at dogs who look like they're going to come after me, because I don't want one getting tangled up in my bike and taking me down. When I head directly at them the flight instinct kicks in and makes them much easier to evade, at least for me.

As far as spraying myself with pepper spray, that's never gonna happen since I don't have any. The chain I carry in my backpack for locking up is all the non-lethal protection I need to feel safe.

My mother's last husband was a colonel in the air Force he was cleaning his gun one day and he shot is 45 through the wall .lucky most people shoot themselves in the feet or their loved one by accident
cowboys how many times has cowboys shoot his best friend in the hip and the shoulder I don't know how many times I went hunting and I have someone point a gun at me put it somewhere else
Most people shoot someone else but a thief or intruder the facts don't like a cowboy.

Back