Drew12345 Alpha Flux, Max-E, MXUS 4T

And cut out hole for CA. One thing I learned about ebikes, there is always some metal to cut. And a good old dremel is so useful. I used to be so scared of cutting something on the bike because it's permanent.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443097251.676170.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443097283.457061.jpg

So I hooked up all the wires and did a quick test run. Something is not right. I think it's my hall phase combo. I did hit 40 mph pretty easily and ran out of room so not sure how fast it really goes. It's a little vibration when starting and sounds louder than it should. And temp in motor and controller seemed hot for just a short ride.

Hopefully will have time to play around with this weekend. I want to get this right before I take my first vid of riding so may not be this weekend and on business trip next week.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443200908.991898.jpg

I thought you were using the same components from your old bike so I don't see why there should be any wiring issues.

First thing I do for testing is problems is remove the CA as it has a million settings that could be an issue.

If you did any soldering you may have poor connections somewhere.

As for the heating up of the controller nobody is going to be surprised if it is enclosed. And if you are running more power than you used to no surprises either.

Bike looks awesome though!

Thanks John. I'm using mxus 4t now. Before was using hs3540. I'll take your advice into account when i troubleshoot this weekend.

Well, it's 1:30 in the morning. I spent last 3 hours finding the right hall phase combination and then soldering it and then mounting everything back. I think it will be much better but too late to go for ride and verify. I do know that what I had previously was definitely not right. And researching other threads definitely had same symptoms I had when phase and halls were not right. Cross my fingers....

John Bozi said:
surely 3 x 3 combinations don't take 3 hours? but if you've got some special plug combination........ :oops:

I like to see a man of serious commitment, working hard through the night.... go go go ride the dam thing before work.

36 combinations (link below) but there is a shortcut route and tried but didn't work. Maybe because it was late I couldn't figure out the shortcut. So to be sure, I just did all the combinations. I found 3 that worked and then picked best out of that.
https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Determining_the_Wiring_for_a_Brushless_Motor

It was hard doing all those combinations but at the same time fun. It's been a rough week so working on my ebike is a good outlet.

Will try it out when I get home from church today.

Nelsjourney said:
Can you post a pic of where you decided to put your breaker? I am thinking along the same lines and need ideas.

Hi Nels. I still haven't installed it yet and was busy figuring out this phase/hall issue and think I resolved that. Also, still not sure where I'm mounting everything internally so it may change where I put breaker. It won't likely be done in soon since I will be gone most of the week. However, it is best that I install it soon before I possibly damage something permanently so maybe will be next item I do when I come back. There is limited space internally with battery and controller and those wires are big so will be interesting installing it. And those terminals are exposed so I see a lot of electrical tape or rubber dip to cover those. I know it should be close to battery as possible though.

k, did my test ride to see if phase/hall is fixed and IT IS!!!!! It runs so quiet and smooth and motor was cool and SURPISINGLY the controller as well. It was a slighter longer ride than the one I did the other day where motor and controller was hot so issue is fixed. I'm psyched!

I got up to 43 mph or 72 km/h on short stretch. Tomorrow I'll see what it can really do. I'm estimating around 45 - 48. I'll think about tuning my controller next week and see if I can get to 50 mph.

Tomorrow I will take a vid of riding but did take video below from my phone of bike parked.

[youtube]khNBplOxayM[/youtube]

Yeah, lot of fun when everything working.

Just went for short quick night ride. That mxus motor is no joke. It puts my other clyte hs3540 to shame. It's so much torque. It stays much cooler than clyte also.

I also really like keyswitch. There is just something cool about it. Not sure what it is.

I like the big suspension. I'm still dialing it in which not really sure what I'm doing but will eventually get there. It's very easy on my bad back.

Awesome work! I'm 3000 km from my unfinished flux build - vicarious!

This is my second ride. I was testing the bike and seeing how much controller gets hot since I mounted internally. So far it's working well. One thing I noticed is that I'm only maxing at 25 amps which is amazing since I'm getting 43 mph. If I up the amps in controller a little, should get a few more mph and will see how hot controller gets.

[youtube]cfDHEqpPAgk[/youtube]

Man you have to be happy with the power usage and heat seen in that video right?

Your pulling almost nothing always under 2kw and under 50 degrees hold on was that celcius?

If you are going to only pull 20 amps I dont think your controller will heat up or your motor ever to critical. Your range must be huge like this.

Next would be nice to see some take off vids. From zero to full speed full throttle from start. And if you think you would like more acceleration speed.

As usual your terrain is flat so hard to see how this motor would go for me... but it looks pretty dam promising.

Ah you must be ebike heaven right now - well done and enjoy your toy..... your AFT must be having a cry right now. Are these power consumption figures better on the hub than the mid drive? since you've upped voltage.....

John Bozi said:
Man you have to be happy with the power usage and heat seen in that video right?

Yeah, pretty stoked by this. I wasn't expecting the low amps. And still not sure what it is. Maybe the mxus is very efficient? In any case, I'm not complaining. I still want a little more speed though so will adjust the controller and see how it does. I have to find the instructions for lyen controller and see how to do it.

John Bozi said:
Your pulling almost nothing always under 2kw and under 50 degrees hold on was that celcius?

Yeah, it's in celcius

John Bozi said:
If you are going to only pull 20 amps I dont think your controller will heat up or your motor ever to critical. Your range must be huge like this.

Never thought about getting more range from this. Great point!

John Bozi said:
Next would be nice to see some take off vids. From zero to full speed full throttle from start. And if you think you would like more acceleration speed.

You know the mxus has a lot of torque. I'm pretty impressed with that aspect. I've always had the fear to WOT from the dead stop so I usually don't do it. I fear that it's going to spin the axel and have to deal with the rip the wires. Supposedly clamping dropouts that are on there is the best but still doubt.

John Bozi said:
As usual your terrain is flat so hard to see how this motor would go for me... but it looks pretty dam promising.
I'm not sure any hub motor can handle your terrain :) I would stick with mid drive for your crazy hills. Your dual setup seemed to do well though. I also want to try a quick ride on trail today and see how it does but not sure if I will have time. I'm sure it will use more amps. I'm very interested to see how much more.

John Bozi said:
Ah you must be ebike heaven right now - well done and enjoy your toy..... your AFT must be having a cry right now. Are these power consumption figures better on the hub than the mid drive? since you've upped voltage.....
Thanks John. I'm going to get my AFT back up after fixing this bike up some more. I do miss it. That bike was very light compared to this one. Good question about power consumption. Let me think about it. Lot of variables involved.

Yeah, I did create a video. It's long and boring but does show you mostly how to do it.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61995

I installed my circuit breaker. I laid a bunch of industrial strength velcro and secured breaker on that. It's pretty secure. Pics below are before I hooked up wires because you can't see it after I wired everything up. I took ride on trail yesterday and pushed bike hard with plenty of bumps and no issues.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444300625.658065.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444300638.340722.jpg

You're welcome. I'm attaching couple other items also to remaining sections of velcro so its becoming handy.

I ordered some fenders called sks rowdy. I installed rear one this morning. It was 5 min installation and just used zip tie to rear shock mount. I might modify it. I'm not sure yet.

The front fender is one from previous bike. The one downside in terms of fenders for dnm fork is the design. It's hard to have fender close to tire. Still thinking about this one.

Edit: the other type of fender I'm thinking is the kind with the rods. I just don't like the rods but may do for front.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444324140.306712.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444324155.768868.jpg

Maybe there is someway for to make a fender attach to the lower fork tubes closer to the axle and a brace further up the tube (but below the point of full compression). Then maybe you could adjust as close to the tire as you want with some wing nuts and it would move with the tire. A could slotted pieces of flat aluminum and a 3d printed clamp to the forks would work.

Or, maybe one could adapt the fork bumpers to mount the bracket. I'll take some pictures of what I mean later.

Good ideas Mammalian. I wonder how the ones with support rods handle on the trail. I would they would be noisy or break.

Almost the walk of shame yesterday.

So I went for a long ride yesterday 36 mi/ 58 km. I was on my way back. CA reads less than 7 ah used out of 15ah. Around 2 miles from home I get a low voltage message and bike cuts out.

I thought maybe controller too hot so pulled over and checked and it was cool. So reset my circuit breaker and was able to get bike to turn back on. The voltage was 49 v but then went above 50 v. As long as above 50 v, I was fine. I was basically pedaling and had just enough amps (.5 amps) to help. If I pushed too much amps, the bike would cut out again.

I was so exhausted when I got home. And actually felt sick and dizzy rest of day because my body wasn't conditioned to handle that. I'm just glad I made it home though. That bike is so heavy and resistance of hub motors doesn't help.

So why was voltage so low and had 1/2 battery left? Also, why my amps so low. I'm still trying to figure out.

I did a little reading on forum this morning. Someone mentioned make sure shunt value is correct. So went into CA and saw that it was 2.67 mohm when it should be 1.333....doh! I'm not sure what this affects but think related to these issues. So when I had this setup on my other bike, it was never correct!

So will let you know impact on my next ride. I think raining today.

Back