• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Drew12345 Alpha Flux, Max-E, MXUS 4T

John Bozi said:
sweet ride as usual, I bet your back is loving the battery in frame with huge travel aspect too.

I am hanging out to get my bike fully finished to start hitting the trails with the big suspension.

Yes, my back is loving it! Big suspension is a dream. Like riding a couch over the trails. Man, I can't wait for you to get that ride on the trail. Hurry up :)

Rix said:
Very nice vid Drew, fall riding in the US is hard to beat.

Thanks Rix. It's really beautiful with all the fall colors. Getting really cold though! But one of my favorites is riding in the snow so I do look forward to that. It will interesting to see how the big fat mc tire does in snow. Should be great. I still need to figure out the front tire. I used studded tires last year but those were on 26". Need to see if they make 24" studded tire so I can use on front. If so, will build up a second wheel for this.

if they make 24" studded tire so I can use on front. If so, will build up a second wheel for this.
This I don't know. Never heard of 24"MTB studded snow tires, will have to research it.

Customer asked me to find the same thing - he is building a dual mxus setup to climb Mt Feathertop in Oz.
Found these:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/schwalbe-marathon-winter-tyre/rp-prod80796

Samd said:
Customer asked me to find the same thing - he is building a dual mxus setup to climb Mt Feathertop in Oz.
Found these:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/schwalbe-marathon-winter-tyre/rp-prod80796

Never seen these before. the 24MTB option shows the tire width at 1.75" wide. Do you know if they make any wider studded 24MTB Tires.

Was just thinking the same thing. If you go to thre reviews it names other brands. Time to do some digging. Under two inches wide is a bit anaemic (nudge nudge)

Thanks guys for helping with research. I looked again and only studded 24" is the marathon mentioned above. It's pretty skinny so probably not a good option. Will probably look pretty funny compared with fat moped tire on rear.

I just thought of another option. I could just build a 26" front wheel. That way I can use my existing studded tired - nokian extreme 294. My geometry might be messed up a little but just will use it when it's icy out.

I mentioned earlier that I wanted a black fork instead of gold. I did think of cheaper solution and paint. But I think had a better solution and use a vinyl wrap. I looked up cost and is very cheap ~ $20.

drew12345 said:
I mentioned earlier that I wanted a black fork instead of gold. I did think of cheaper solution and paint. But I think had a better solution and use a vinyl wrap. I looked up cost and is very cheap ~ $20.

Cool idea. Post up your sources when you get it. I may give it a shot with something crazy. It can be the tatoo canvas for our ebikes. Then if it gets old, peel it off and $20 for another.

drew12345 said:

This is a good idea, not just for color changing, but for protection from scratches a crap as well. I think this could be something catchy.

I think Luna Cycle would be perfectly suited for this. They like to do graphic design, have a supplier for vinyl already for their eCigs.

They could sell designs in a standard size, and then include a big sheet of paper with trace and cutout templates that can be used for popular forks (e.g. DNM USD8, Fox 40, Fox 36, Boxxer, etc.). The stardard size designs could be used elsewhere on the bike too (e.g. side covers, swingarms, mud guards, etc).

The fork templates would require some trial and error but could be done.
The other big unknown is how hard it is to apply and make it look good. If it looks like crap because it is too hard to put on, then it won't sell and will be a money loser. Maybe an accompanying install video on youtube (with Luna helping in the background of course).

What do you think Eric?

Thanks guys. I've been looking on amazon and videos on YouTube. I just did a search for vinyl car wrap. Doesn't look too hard.

I also will use it to cover up the green sides on adaptto. Right now I'm trying black tape and doesn't look that great.

Will order soon.

drew12345 said:
Thanks guys. I've been looking on amazon and videos on YouTube. I just did a search for vinyl car wrap. Doesn't look too hard.

I also will use it to cover up the green sides on adaptto. Right now I'm trying black tape and doesn't look that great.

Will order soon.

putting vinyl over the profiled parts of the upper fork on the DNM is incredibly hard. Getting it to conform and not lift on really tight radiuses sucks. I ruined some great carbon film trying it. Have you looked at Plastidip?

NIce video Drew. I had asperations of doing lots of night riding this last summer around lake Tahoe, problem was, I got to damn busy. For sure next summer. Who knows, maybe I will see a bigfoot or something.

Thanks! When you doing another video? Love the trails where you live. If you can get bigfoot riding your bike, I'll buy you an ebike of your choice :)

drew12345 said:
Thanks! When you doing another video? Love the trails where you live. If you can get bigfoot riding your bike, I'll buy you an ebike of your choice :)

Its been cold so I didn't shoot any video. Rode 13miles, in 13-20F, froze my ass off. On another note, the controller and motor didn't even get warm climbing slowly.

Back