Duc998's Giant DH Comp Build

Duc998

10 W
Hi all,

First off let me start by promoting I'm still a noob here so bare with me. This is my second build.... First one was not worth posting :oops:

My current cheapie bike cant deal with the current 72v45amp awesome setup that Hyena built for me, I hold my breath everytime I hit a bump on my cheap bike. My hope is the DH Comp will deal with the speeds/bumps a lot better on my commute to work and its important for me is to remain stealth :mrgreen:

After looking at Doctorbass, GCinDC, Keyne's & Kiwi's builds and a few others I kept my eye on fleabay for a dh comp and found one :). Let me say I think owning a proper dh bike is more complex then my electrical setup. The suspension tuning is over the top for me... But I'll learn in due corse.

Current Plan...
- Build a stainless steel box moulded to the frame ( see red line in first pic ) courtsey of my welding mate. He welds strainless steel drains etc for a living so has stainless steel sheets 100mm wide. My 6s 5ah zippy dimensions are 148x51x51mm, I cut out some foam with the same dimension but probably 155mm tall. Playing around with the setup and the best fit seams to be as shown in the first pic, Its the 9th zippy that causes the issue. Once the box is made then plan cover in a bag / material like GCinDC waterproof cordura so it looks stealth. Forgot to add...I want to maximise the room in the triangle for future proofing incase I ever change my battery setup.
- With the battery layout my worry in denting the lipos but plan to pack in the gaps with foam or anything stronger. Any suggestions?
- Controller will probably be located on the seat post.
- Wait for kiwi's dropouts to mount the 9C 9x7. I'm on the second run so hopefully soon
- Replace the crap Hayes HDX brakes with Avid Code 5. Hayes HDX pistons dont center, One piston stays in and the other comes out. Tried bleeding / cleaning the pistons a few times to no resolve.

To buy from CRC... Would appreciate any advice or suggestions on my purchases
- Avid Code 5 brakes at front. What for the rear?
- 48t or 52t chainring, Which one on CRC? I do like adding my own power + pedalling helps stealth.
- Manitou SPV Shock Pump MKII
- Replace manitou 500c shock spring? Should I go for something higher? Currently weigh 82kg and dont want a lot of sag.
- Buy a set of 12g spokes for the 9C
Anything else I should buy?!?!?

Already done / purchased
- Replaced suspension bearings with enduro bearings
- Removed crap brakes
- Clean and lube.
- Kiwi's dropout

Hopefully I get the box done this week. Then I'll just have to wait for kiwi's dropouts to move the build over.

Duc998DHComp1.jpg
Duc998cheapy.jpg
Duc99818s3p.jpg
Duc998DHComp2.jpg

Attachments

• 20120204_122959.jpg
    20120204_122959.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 3,116
Looks like a good plan here.. I like the looks of that bike has a lot of battery room also..
Your lucky to have a good bud with those skills and that metal.. I am almost surprised someone doesn't make
a standard battery holder for DH bikes that would just straddle the middle bar.

Would think a lot of people would go for it.

keep us updated glad you are going to be a lot more stable. How does the extra suspension feel ?
Cant wait until the day I get full susp.

Why not just use one of those FalconEV triangle bags? $50 plus shipping and they are designed for the job? Nice bike btw. Might start looking around here...

Hello! Just an fyi, over time those seatpost racks put a lot of strain not just on their own components but on the bike frame itself due to the rotational torque of the weight on the rack. There is at least one other person on here who tried everything they could on the rear rack and saw rack after rack fail, and then eventually their frame cracked. I'm glad to see you going in-the-triangle style mounting, because I would be worried about all the battery weight on the rack otherwise.
Good luck with your build!

Already got a falconev bag andynogo, Its a real tight fit and needs to be cut to size. Plus the padding takes away a few mm from inside the frame which may cause an issue with the battery layout. So I've got to make the box for the batteries first and then make the falcon ev bag fit around it. If not I'll get something made.

Andje, yeah no away will I put any weight in that rack, It will be for just sports clothes and stuff needed for work, But nothing heavier then the battery pack :). Plus I dont know if I'll be able to use it as currently the rear will hit the rack on bumps. Have to get a harder spring I think.

Can anyone critic my brake choice? I'm still unsure on the avid code 5.

I'm looking at one of these.

Is there any chance the Medium (18.5") frame would fit one of Cellman's triangle batteries?

Good luck with your build. :)

Attachments

• triangle battery.jpg
    triangle battery.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 2,941
ur lucky before I bought the bike I got the seller to measure the inside of the frame. Measurements in pic. I also cut the cable holders
within the frame.

If u cant be bothered looking at the attached pic measure ments below. Dont forget measurements dont include the grove for the rear suspension

---- 430mm
| 270mm
\ 450mm

Duc998 said:
- Build a stainless steel box moulded to the frame ( see red line in first pic ) courtsey of my welding mate. He welds strainless steel drains etc for a living so has stainless steel sheets 100mm wide. My 6s 5ah zippy dimensions are 148x51x51mm.... Once the box is made then plan cover in a bag / material like GCinDC waterproof cordura so it looks stealth...
- With the battery layout my worry in denting the lipos but plan to pack in the gaps with foam or anything stronger. Any suggestions?
how many volts are you planning on running here? 30s??
i had touble fitting 4x 5s5ah packs and can't imagine how you'll fit that many 6s packs in there. are those real 6s packs in your pic? have you tried fitting them? don't be afraid to use some tape to hold them together in different positions... it's building blocks time. :mrgreen:

covering stainless steel with cordura, huh? :lol: i think many people would loooove stainless steel batt cases. but they are attention getting, that's for sure. people look at cordura tho and go into a mind numbing trance. either way, it all adds up. i wouldn't be surprised if your mate welded up a tight fitting box, but then you're left w/ a lot less room than you hoped for.. if he is going to weld a box tho, design it up. i've been thinking how to add stops on one side, so the pack can slide in halfway, but then stop when tabs hit the tubes, and maybe you can do some kind of latch that you can flip from the left side, to cause a tab(s) to rise on the other side and lock the case in place. in that case, forget cordura and powdercoat it if you want stealth. can he weld aluminum btw?

Hey GC,

I'm "hoping" to split the 18s3p pack pictured in the first post and put all that within the frame. I cut the foam at 2 mm thicker and around 8mm higher. I cant use the current pack at the moment as that used daily for my commute to work. But will strip 1p (3 zippy's) from the pack for measurement when I start making the box.

Mind u my discussions with my welder mate was brief, I showed him a pic of your frame box but I want my box to use up all the space inside the frame ( see pic attached ), I thought I'd future proof myself incase I ever change my battery setup. My welder reckons he can do it, I did mention the frame bends at the rear suspension and he reckon he can bend to shape. Also only reason for stainless steel for the box is he has surplus sheets laying around for all the drains he makes, I'm hoping the thickness of these sheets are no more then 2mm. I'll get it him to weld it closed on one side and have a boarder around the open side. I'll probably bolt or epoxy the box to the frame, As I commute daily I dont intend on taking the batteries out all all, Will charge the pack while in the box. Oh I also grinded the cable holders like you did to make more room :)

I'm even going to try and cut that falcon ev bag down the middle and see if I can somehow secure it to the to the box. Again I'm hopefull but sure I'll figure something out. If the falcon ev bag dont work then I'll be asking u where to get that cordura from ;)

Post some ride vid's mate I cant wait to get on mine :mrgreen:

Attachments

• duc998dhcomp.jpg
    duc998dhcomp.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 2,864
Duc998 said:
If the falcon ev bag dont work then I'll be asking u where to get that cordura from ;)
i'm pissed. i got 2m of the stuff recently but it's saran wrap compared to the stuff i got last time at the fabric store. it's a good time to march into the fabric store with your full face helmet on and leathers, and get help from the grannies, asking for ruck sack, backpack or whatever material, in case cordura doesn't ring a bell for 'em. :mrgreen:

well some small progress... My welder mate just sent me these pics :). Will go all out and get this bike running in a day once
I get kiwi's dropout adapters :D

IMG_8809.jpg
IMG_8366.jpg
IMG_4597.jpg

Awesome man! I'm thinking of going the aluminium route also. Do you have a design yet for the support structures inside that triangle?

I think its stainless, not sure will have to ask him. Have not really put much though on how to secure it, I dont plan to take the box out at all so my thoughts are get him to tap weld it on and if I need to take it off just grind off the spots he welds. I already grinded the cable holders off so hey a few more grinded spot wont hurt I guess.

He's going to close off one side and put a lip on the other. Or maybe I should get him to make a door or some sort of latch to hold the batteries from sliding side to side. Not sure yet will have to work it out.

Duc998 said:
I think its stainless, not sure will have to ask him. Have not really put much though on how to secure it, I dont plan to take the box out at all so my thoughts are get him to tap weld it on and if I need to take it off just grind off the spots he welds. I already grinded the cable holders off so hey a few more grinded spot wont hurt I guess.

He's going to close off one side and put a lip on the other. Or maybe I should get him to make a door or some sort of latch to hold the batteries from sliding side to side. Not sure yet will have to work it out.

if its stainless he wont be able to tap weld it... those frames are alloy arent they?
for a permanent solution, you could use U bolts, or get your mate to fab up something a bit tidier. box is certainly looking nice so far...

yeah alloy ur right did'nt think of that :oops:

What about 3M Epoxy 420? I bought a few of these a few weeks back.. Otherwise will sort out some U clamp solution as you suggested.

can your mate weld up both sides with flat covers?

that's what i'd have him do, then cut a large opening on the left side, and make a slightly larger cover to lay flat on side and bolt on.

as for the mounts, i would not glue it.

i'd glue or screw blocks into place - i'll have to draw a pic. pm me tomorrow to remind me.

here's what i had in mind... more or less permanent blocks on one side, almost like 'stops', and a few removable ones on the other side...
ducsbox.jpg
it'd be more attractive if they were lined up symetrically, and in fact, they'd probably look and work better as long strips.

actually, i'd make the left side stops permanent and the right removable - because the crank may be in your way. but i would still keep the access panel on left - but i only work on my bike from the left side and you may be different.

anyway, the main question then is what to make them out of... i was thinking solid plastic or wood, or something easy enough to shape, but come to think of it, there are many composite (vinyl) moulding strips that would be okay.
images

you could even use a 1/4 round, with an opposite curve, but with a longer surface contact, I don't think it would matter. the permanent side would be easy enough to epoxy, i'd think, but you'd have to go easy when screwing down (from the outside to a nut inside the case) so as not to crush it...

you wouldn't want rain and junk to get stuck down there tho..

ps. how wide is the box? apologies if you already said...

Love that design GCinDC. How would you secure the mouldings to the frame? You think epoxy would hold up after battering the bike a lot?

Another thing I noticed: your forks are going to bang into the case at max lock. And you'll lose some of your turning radius

Hi ya.

Got halfway through the second set of adapters last week, hope to finish them this week.
Sorry its taking so long. Its finding the time to go to the welding shop. I could pay someone to weld them, ($$$) or you could weld them your self if you want to speed up the process.
But, hopefully on wed I will sit down at the tig and get them all together.

Kiwi.

Hey Kiwi, no prob mate nothing more important then your family. I'll just wait until your ready. I was a little eager at the start but I've settled down now :lol:

Wow thanks for the idea's GC, let me just say you take it to a whole new level for me :). Those diagrams are excellent thanks for that!
I asked him to make it 104mm wide ( tho I'm pretty sure the strips he had are precut at 100mm ). 104mm as the Zippy's are 51mm wide. I'll get him to do as your suggested and cover on both sides and make a cover panel. I'll have to do that to keep the zippys snug and tight and save them from wear. Also would like to make it weather proof as much as I can, Dont ride in the rain but not fussed about riding in some drizzle, Dont like riding in the rain.. Came off my old Ducati bikes twice in the wet not good.

I'm still hoping I can cover the box with my falcon EV bag. Even if I have to chop the bag up to do so. I'm pretty sure this will make it look pretty stealth ( tho I might take the EV label off the bag ).

crusoe, Your right. Will probably just grind off the section required.

Still learning thanks guys for your help.

Cheers, I did get them welded up on Wednesday. Its easter holidays here now.
Aim to post them next week.

not much of an update but had a look at the box last night. Looks good but when I looked closer I could see a gap :shock: This small gap
will probably stuff my 18s3p config. I'm taking some zippys tonight to be sure. I did'nt have the heart to tell him about the gap. I just
said dont do anymore work on it until I bring some batteries over.

Attachments

• 20120410_195352.jpg
    20120410_195352.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1,983
Looks good though! I'm just about finished my case also. I used one long sheet of 4.5" alum and a homebrew break. It has two levels. I"m able to fit 8, 6s batts, and the lyen high speed controller also.

Back