Duc998's Giant DH Comp Build

Duc998 said:
This is the old gear, I've just gotten a ??-11t off hyena which is not fitted yet. We could get the old gear out :shock:
Will a few spaces fix the gap OK? anything else to worry about?
Is it the whole freewheel you are trying to remove? If so I found that thread cutting oil poured in and allowed to soak for a few hours works good. It penetrates the oxidation better then other stuff I've tried.

Gary

I, like you, hated the idea of the batteries sideways to start. But after riding countless hours with the setup I wouldn't change it any other way. It's so easy to take the batts in and out. Hell, I could charge them right on the bike if I wanted to. And the bends instead of welds saved SO much time

GrayKard said:
Is it the whole freewheel you are trying to remove? If so I found that thread cutting oil poured in and allowed to soak for a few hours works good. It penetrates the oxidation better then other stuff I've tried.
I don't think it's oxidised on too badly, it's only a few months old. The difficulty is more so that he's unlaced the wheel and it's hard to get enough grip / leverage on just the bare motor without the rim attached. I'm sure once the wheel is relaced it'll much easier to get a firm out of it with the large diameter to hold on to

she's on the road! :D

Got my bike back from glowwormcycles.com.au yesterday. Great guys great service! They dished my wheel beautifully! Thanks guys

I was up till 2am last night wiring up the pack, Spent most of the time trying to workout how to get the batteries in the box. Now I know why Dr Bass's box is open on the top and GCinDC's box he can open up to put the batteries in. Lesson learnt, Dont weld up a close box. Ensure opening is sufficent to place a taped up battery pack :oops:

I put my 48t front chain ring. I got a 3?-11t rear sprocketoff Hyena too. Chain is touching the swingarm, not sure how much but too scared to leave it in low gear for now.

Need to cleanup the wiring in the battery box ( waiting on 4mm bullets ) and work out how to best clamp the box into the frame. I sort of just wacked everything on as I was keen to ride it into work.

Here's a pic of my bike at work. Sorry will post some better pics later when I get time.

20120516_092428.jpg

Be very weary about chain rub if you're using Kiwi's dropouts. I've got a 3mm gouge in mine before I noticed. It's like a chainsaw running back there! I had to switch to a single speed, 18t in the rear, 42t in the front and it got rid of all chain line issues.

What I have done to stop the chain from riding on the chain stay is to install a stainless hose clamp on the stay right at the point where the chain touches the stay. Its not pretty but the hose clamp is very low profile (not in appearance but in function) so the chain will ride on it when in the tallest gear but not mess up my rear chain stay. I don't know how long between hose clamps but the clamps are cheap. As long as my bike has got that home made feel to it I am not troubled by the look of a hose clamp hanging off the rear stay. Seems to work well for now. What I would really like to get a hold of but I dont think there is such a thing is a 5 speed 11-32 freehub. When it comes down to it for my needs a 3 speed is all I really would want. If I could get a nice clean chain line and a wide ratio in 3 gears would be awesome. Bikes looking good!Happy trails.

Hi all,

A Few new pics. Been to busy riding the thing :)

Few things I've done since last post.

- Chopped the falcon ev bag in half. I've only quickly strapped it on for stealth but aim is to mount the box properly using U clamps and will glue the falcon EV bag on.
- Hacked a light mount for the 12w ebay light. Great light btw.
- Chaingaurd - Rubbing looks minimal but I've put a carbon fibre chainguard on the swingarm to protect it ( those pads in the pic below is an older photo as I was trying to engage how much it was rubbing. but have to align the derailer as the chain comes off when trying to hit 32t.

Todo... Please offer your advice if you have any... :mrgreen:

- Need to sort out my shifter / derailer. As the bike came with a 9 speed shimano deore, I've got a 7 speed 11-32t at the rear. Going to 32t the chain will dismount if I hit the shifter too quickly. Additionally the RH rear shifter I've relocated to the left due to space issue's. Hoping I can find a solution for a LH rear shifter ( 7 speed ).
- Need a chainguide / gaurd of some sort. Hit a few small jumps and the chain comes off. Chain gaurd would be handly to stop my work pants getting caught in the front chainring. Would really appreciate some advice on a chainguard / guide.
- Clamp the steel battery box to the frame ( currently duct taped ). Seal the top of the box for water resistance. Glue the falcon ev bag on. Seal the controller connections too :)
- Bikes a bit tall for me, I'm only 170cm tall and when I stop have to get my arse off the seat. Maybe going 24" will help?
- Can I use the green cruise button on the throttle for regen? Hyena has enabled regen on my controller.
- Need a winter jacket... Its cold here in Sydney.

20120521_080408.jpg

View attachment 2

20120521_080420.jpg

Back