Duc998's Giant DH Comp Build

i wouldn't worry much about a gap. does it rattle around? and nevermind about the stops i'd suggested. instead, fasten the box to the tube with a couple of with these (where the battery isn't, of course):
Product-20071127114125-l.jpg

maybe squirt some caulk around the tops too to keep out any wet.

crusoe said:
I"m able to fit 8, 6s batts, and the lyen high speed controller also.
umm, picture? :mrgreen:

No shorza waiting on the adapters. Hopefully this week, Looking at Kiwi's post looks like they have been sent and since I'm
in Australia should'nt take too long for delivery I hope.

Plans are for the next 2 weeks :)

- Get that battery box completed and mounted.
- Install 48t front sprocket, Really would like a schlumpf drive or ats speed drive :)
- Setup my Avid code 2012 front / rear hydralic brakes
- Mount / Install 12w LED light from here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=35095 Will see how GCinDC goes
about with his light install :p ( thanks mate )
- Battery pack reconfig. My 18s3p pack is just taped together and hardwired. Will have to break it up and connect with 4mm bullet connectors and extend
the wiring to suit the frame box. Sure this will take a while and its my first time playing with this amount of lipo :shock:. Hyena setup my 18s3p pack and has been rock solid thank mate.
- See Hyena and...
- get my regen enabled on my controller
- Setup Alex DM 24 rim for the 9C

Cant wait, Watching some of GCinDC's videos and seeing those front shocks absorb everything leave's me drooling. With the current bike if I hit
any sort of large bump I starting listening out for what may be broken or loose :lol:

Spoke too soon adapters just arrived. What a work or art. Thanks Kiwi! :)

Sweet, hopefully that means mine are there when i get home. Don't they look great.
I'm also waiting on that ebay light you have got. Looks like we will have a very similar bike.

Hey duc,

I haven't started my build thread yet, but i have an x5404 that im putting into my 03 dh comp. I've been following gcindc, you, and a bunch of other dh comp build threads. I don't really like the wheel the x5404 is laced into. My dh comp has sun's double wide rims, which are awesome! i was thinking of trying to lace the x5404 into that. I looked up the alex d24....1, where are you getting it? 2, have you looked into the downhill mtb double wide rims? What do you think?

Oh and I'm excited to see how your battery pack comes out. Right now im using the falconev bag, but i cut the top so that the top part wraps around the top tube...now it fits nicely into my medium sized frame. OH btw, those dropouts look wicked man. I'm waiting for mine to come in the mail!!!!

moonshine said:
but i have an x5404 that im putting into my 03 dh comp
yo moonshine. are you still in denial that the 5404 needs 150mm between dropouts? :mrgreen:

what are you gonna do, man??

what don't you like about the wheel? too angular? nice width at 39mm, didn't i measure it?

good luck finding another double track!

might enjoy the Alex Supra BH Mountaininstead tho.
31wkc3VauUL._AA300_.jpg

have fun getting 12g spokes thru eyelets! :lol:

naw, trash the rim you got, and by then JRH might have his alloy MC wheels and custom spokes...

That obvious huh??? AHHHH!!! the 5404 is HUGE! Super mad about 135mm dropouts...There's no way i'll get gears on it....at this rate i dunno if the motor itself will fit... either way not too happy. The alex rims are nice...but i wanted them to be wider. I was gonna get an excel rim, but they only go up to 21" so that's a no go for me. The sun double wides are 45.9mm, which is sick. And yes...i didn't like the angle on the stock crystalyte wheel, i'll message JRH and see what he says. Although, another thing to think about is the fact that i've NEVER LACED A HUB MOTOR BEFORE so even if i got a wheel...i wouldn't know what to do with it! So i'll just wait until kiwi's dropouts come and i'll make some decisions then.

not obvious at all. i just happened to know you got an issue there.. my suggestion: sell the 5404, buy the new cromotor that's compatible w/ 135mm do's, they should be in before too long. you've waited this long.... what other options u got??? machine shop??

either way you'll have a wheelie problem w/ that setup, i imagine...

moonshine said:
I was gonna get an excel rim, but they only go up to 21"
my 19" excel w 2.75 tire = ~25" OD which is just a bit smaller than a standard 26" (OD!) mtb wheel... they're different measurements...

a 21" rim & wheel would be TOO BIG for your bike!

http://surlybikes.com/parts/large_marge

Is this even an option? I just came across surly wheels. I don't know why i didn't think of these before. Thoughts?

most xlyte take 12g spokes. most eyelet wheels only fit 13g?

what wheel will you run in there. i find 2.75" as big as will fit...

i thought about them, and you can do, but who's gonna lace it again? :mrgreen:

welcome to the conundrum.

ps. check out the phasor bike. uses 3" chopper wheels w/ 2.75 tires. but there's no tread on corners...

what is your primary goal for the wheel?

AHHHH! I'll probably just take it to a motorcycle dealer...I mean, i had my dirtbike wheel relaced when i blew that up.... oh and here's the link to the sun double track rims. I guess they're pretty nice. Whats the big deal about em?

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=112773

Primary goal is to have the best of both worlds. As far as i know...they're aren't any downhill/dirtbike trails where i'll need knobbie tires...although i do want to maintain as much traction as i can when i ride on those dirt trails (crescent trail) and of course still maintain decent speeds (40+) on roads.

Awww, well, the sun double wide rims i have are 36h and they're 45.9mm. So i get that relaced or something. thanks for the input!!!

Jay, Sent you an email :) see you next week.

Finally some progress...

I quickytried fitting my 9c last night and had an issue with the wheel rubbing on the swingarm. First of the wheel is not all the way down in the dropout, Was too late at night to make noise. My hope is once I file and grind the swingarm a bit the dropout may lineup better and that may fix the problem. Or do I need to true the wheel? However truing would not make sense to me at it looks like an adapter alignment issue. I recall someone else had the same issue but cant find the thread?....

Questions for the experts.

What material should I use to space the batteries out and to stop rubbing and denting?
Also in the last pic I'm thinking of splitting the falcon ev bag in half and glue the bag to the box? Or should I get a taylor
to extend the thickness of the bag?

Some progress pics

Mate welding the box for me.
20120502_194642.jpg

Only brought 5 zippies with me to check they would all fit in a single layer. Was worried about the 5th battery as my 18s3p is 9 batteries
in total. The battery at the top will be the one all on his own :). Also see the my puffy. One cell has puffed up. Should I cut the cell out
and keep the pack for spares? Or should I depuff the cell? voltage is ok and battery is balanced.
20120502_201111.jpg

20120502_203440.jpg

20120502_223543.jpg

20120502_223615.jpg

20120502_224148.jpg

moonshine said:
Hey duc,

I haven't started my build thread yet, but i have an x5404 that im putting into my 03 dh comp. I've been following gcindc, you, and a bunch of other dh comp build threads. I don't really like the wheel the x5404 is laced into. My dh comp has sun's double wide rims, which are awesome! i was thinking of trying to lace the x5404 into that. I looked up the alex d24....1, where are you getting it? 2, have you looked into the downhill mtb double wide rims? What do you think?

Oh and I'm excited to see how your battery pack comes out. Right now im using the falconev bag, but i cut the top so that the top part wraps around the top tube...now it fits nicely into my medium sized frame. OH btw, those dropouts look wicked man. I'm waiting for mine to come in the mail!!!!

Hey mate,

I'm getting my Alex 24 of Hyena, To be honest I'm still a noob so I just ask Hyena what he recommends and get it off him. I'm noob enough to know the wheel that came on my 9C is not up to the daily commute.

Send a pic of you falcon ev bag. I'm keen to see what you have done. I'm still not sure what I should do since the box is too think for the bag. Plus the box is a tight fit in the frame so I think I will struggle getting it in even with all the padding taken out. The bag to me it just to create a stealth look. However the more I build the bike the more I think its looking like a motorbike :mrgreen:

nice hat. love to see a welder at work. 8)
Duc998 said:
My hope is once I file and grind the swingarm a bit the dropout may lineup better and that may fix the problem.
i found that once installed, they weren't perfectly lined up and just needed some light filing. a nice long file can take a bit of the edges of each dropout to square them together so the axle fits perfectly.

i recently bought a $14 digital caliper which i found very useful in measuring the axle and the dropouts. some axles have slightly different sizes, and i think the 9c is one of the bigger ones, so rather take too much off the adapter dropouts, which is hard anyway, i took a bit off the axle where it has to go in, just the flat side. be super careful not to take too much, and i might recommend trying to fit it w/o the disc rotor on, as it can easily get damaged.

as for the bag, i can't imagine you've got enough room around the box to still be able to slip that in.

and for the batts, make a nest in there. if anything's sharp, sand it down. then get some foam from somewhere, anywhere. then when you've got an arrangement that works, tape as many packs together as possible. use fibrous packing tape and wrap each battery as tight as you possibly can. babies like to be swaddled. no seriously, it's better for them.

Howdy Duc.............looking good. The thread I started a while back explains things about truing or dishing the wheel to sit centered in the Giant DH frames. Nor sure if its what you are looking for but its worth a quick read.........wayne

Hey all a few little updates.

First off sorry GCinDC sorry mate I'll stop threadjacking, I did'nt think many of the wise would read my thread and I got a little desperate as I wanted to order things for my dh comp right away to not create anymore waiting time :oops:

So was playing around with my battery box last night and I'm not happy with the layout. Their is about a 15 mm gap it total from the box to the frame and that gap is stopping me having 8 of the 9 batteries layed out upright. As GCinDC told me the batteries like to be taped and with my current layout for 1 its hard getting the batteries in there, 2 the wiring is all over the place and 3 I cant tape the batteries together. I'm going to cut the box where required to make them fit upright. I'll then get my welder buddy to close some of the cuts I made to retain strength.

Should I cover the inside of the box with some thin high density foam adhesive to protect the batteries from wear?

capture_10.jpg

Here is a pic of the offset issue. After I took this pic I filed a bit of the axle stop on the disc side which has helped. I'm taking my bike to glowworm tomorrow and hopefully they can dish it to the center. Hyena told me voicecoil works their so maybe he can help :mrgreen:

20120505_144325.jpg

This is the old gear, I've just gotten a ??-11t off hyena which is not fitted yet. We could get the old gear out :shock:
Will a few spaces fix the gap OK? anything else to worry about?

capture_08.jpg

Plenty of room :)

Duc998 said:
First off sorry GCinDC sorry mate I'll stop threadjacking
No worries. Just remember, this is all about entertainment. ebike riding comes second. :lol:

So keep the pics coming. And I love the markup.

Duc998 said:
15 mm gap from the box to the frame and that gap is stopping me having 8 of the 9 batteries layed out upright....its hard getting the batteries in there...I cant tape the batteries together.
yeah, that 15mm is precious cargo space. :( nevermind about taping them esp as you need to get them in there... it may help them from puffing later on, but is not essential, just helps keep them in the shape you want and from sliding around and potentially wearing through.
I'm going to cut the box where required to make them fit upright. I'll then get my welder buddy to close some of the cuts I made to retain strength.
cutting the bottom won't help because of your 15mm gap. you'd have to cut out the top in half i think. your sig says 18s, but now you're going 24s? you said 8 of the 9? now i'm confused. are they different sizes? do they all fit in the triangle w/o the box?? is that dh comp a Large?

no criticism from me if you tape them in place w/o the box and try it out. heck, cut the box lengthwise and remove the middle part so the sides just acted like caps... they just need to be supported so they don't get deformed or punctured...

as for wheel offset, i don't even want to think about it right now. :lol:

shorza said:
I'm pretty sure it's 18s 3p = 9 x 6s.

Yep 9 x 6s. Will tape 8 of the pack together and 1 will be all alone.

GCinDC said:
yeah, that 15mm is precious cargo space. :( nevermind about taping them esp as you need to get them in there... it may help them from puffing later on, but is not essential, just helps keep them in the shape you want and from sliding around and potentially wearing through.

Well I could'nt help myself I made some cuts see pic below :D. Feel better with this layout as I'll tape 8 of the together and they will be nice and snug. Will have to make sure the lipo
dont move where I made the cuts on top of the box.

Will now get the welder to close up some of the cuts I've made.

20120510_093022.jpg

crusoe said:
Have you thought about laying out your box like mine? I can fit 10, 6s batteries in there, WITH the 18fet controller. I have 1" pedal clearance on both drive and non-drive side. I used one 5" piece of aluminium and just made all the bends I needed.

Wow that looks nice crusoe, But as my box has already done to suit my current pack. I'm actually worried about the thickness of my box already.

crusoe said:
Have you thought about laying out your box like mine? I can fit 10, 6s batteries in there, WITH the 18fet controller. I have 1" pedal clearance on both drive and non-drive side. I used one 5" piece of aluminium and just made all the bends I needed.
a long time ago, i ruled out laying the packs sideways. i'm now reconsidering it, esp as i'm upping voltage/capacity... :twisted:

Duc998 said:
Will now get the welder to close up some of the cuts I've made.
do you have your wiring harness made, or are you waiting till you finish the pack? did voicecoil help w/ dishing?

Back