Dutch police found a way to test e-bike power on the side of the road

As far as I know limit is on continuous rated power as specified by manufacturer.
Edit:
...which is just a number printed on motor. Real power is determined by controller and there is no legal limit on it, so why would police try to measure it? For fun?...
Correct, but it isn't just a number printed. It is possible to measure continuous rated power, but only under specific conditions, mentioned in the EN15194:2017. Also you need a lot more time to measure that.
Measuring "continuous rated power" on site isn't possible, that is why they (relative easy and fast) measure speed only.
Not for fun, but they try to prevent dangerous behaviour of kids with high speeds.
Here (0:32 and 1:18) on YT you can see this how the police do this and there you can see how these kids use these ebikes.

imho with "real power"you mean "maximum achievable power" and this could be indeed a lot more.

Very short summary of EN15194:2017:
This European Standard is intended to cover electrically power assisted bicycles of a type which have a
maximum continuous rated power of 0,25 kW, of which the output is progressively reduced and finally
cut off as the EPAC reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner, if the cyclist stops pedalling.
continuous rated power
output power specified by manufacturer, at which the motor reaches its thermal equilibrium at given ambient conditions
thermal equilibrium

temperatures of motor parts which do not vary more than 2K per h

Last edited:
Is the dyno test for power or for speed ?

Were the Euro electric assist specs originally written so the motor activated by turning the pedals and no hand throttle
allowed ?

I don't see how police would test power on this device and why would they try to do that.

Correct, but it isn't just a number printed.

For me it is. As long as it is correct number and motor might be considered legal I am happy with that. I leave testing routine to manufacturer.

imho with "real power"you mean "maximum achievable power" and this could be indeed a lot more.

I meant power provided by controller at certain time and we know it changes constantly.

BTW thanks for sharing how law works in your country. It is interesting to compare little differences.

Measuring "continuous rated power" on site isn't possible, that is why they (relative easy and fast) measure speed only.
Not for fun, but they try to prevent dangerous behaviour of kids with high speeds.

It doesn't make sense to measure power, because there is no legal limit on it. Continuous rated power is specified by manufacturer and it has to be legally displayed on bike.
It does make sense to measure assisted speed limit as it legally can't be over 25km/h. BTW how they establish when motor stops assisting?

you can see how these kids use these ebikes.

Last year three kids died on high power e-bikes in UK. Two hit lamp post, third hit ambulance. :(

It doesn't make sense to measure power, because there is no legal limit on it. Continuous rated power is specified by manufacturer and it has to be legally displayed on bike.
It does make sense to measure assisted speed limit as it legally can't be over 25km/h. BTW how they establish when motor stops assisting?
I think we agreed about power rate measuring.
The motorsupport must stop at 25km/h, but if you want to go faster without any support, it is completely legal, because your ebike is in that case a (heavy) ordinairy pedalling bike. For such a bike there are no speedlimits.
Mostly if you reach 25km/h, the sound of the motor changes and you feel more pedalling resistance.
But because this is legal, they can't measure speed with radar control along the road and sanction higher speeds. They can measure and if the speed from an ebike is higher than 25km/h, they assist you to that rollertest a bit further on the same road.

Last edited:
Good luck registering and getting liability insurance on a DIY ebike. This bill was probably sponsored by the insurance companies and ebike manufacturers.

Good luck registering and getting liability insurance on a DIY ebike. This bill was probably sponsored by the insurance companies and ebike manufacturers.
As long as the DIY bike looks like a bicycle and goes like a bicycle, I think it would not be a problem to ignore the requirement that's intended to address other issues anyway.

I have had no reason to make my bikes at all stealthy, but they would surely become so if this legislative nonsense comes to where I live.

On the plus side there is a generation of interest in electric powered vehicles and an understanding of the performance on offer.
New Jersey is acknowledging a problem and now has to weigh the risks they are willing to accept.
Obviously, if someone innocent is badly hurt the state may be found liable for not trying to solve the problem.
There is always some unforeseen "gotcha" with every new technology resulting in a necessary corrective responsive.

Nothing new, to be honest. In Denmark police road tested scooters years ago… because people were replacing 50cc heads with 70-80–100cc ones… Now bikes… Meh… the good question is why they legislate 250W in the first place… those just anemic…

Last edited:
And . . . adding to the discussion is today's electrek article . . .

Can't wait till they do it here, so I can start hobbling with my cane for a couple of hours each way (minimum) on my 5 mile work commute every day, at least until someone mugs me again or runs me over.

Nothing new, to be honest. In Denmark police road tested scooters years ago… because people were replacing 50cc heads with 70-80–100cc ones… Now bikes… Meh… the good question is why they legislate 250Wh in the first place… those just anemic…
250W != 250Wh

the good question is why they legislate 250W in the first place… those just anemic…

They didn't. Once again 250W limit is on rated power. One can buy very powerful motors rated 250W that are not anemic at all. What more ordinary cyclist might want or need?

Last edited:
Great, and while we're at it, let's put a GPS device in automobiles that makes sure it never goes beyond the rated speed limit of any road it happens to be on. And let's put an accelerometer in there too. No reason for obscene acceleration like in a Tesla Plaid. Let's limit that to a very comfortable level so that children can get out of the way without any problem.

Great, and while we're at it, let's put a GPS device in automobiles that makes sure it never goes beyond the rated speed limit of any road it happens to be on. And let's put an accelerometer in there too. No reason for obscene acceleration like in a Tesla Plaid. Let's limit that to a very comfortable level so that children can get out of the way without any problem.
It makes much more sense for cars, which directly kill 1.35 million people per year, than for any bicycles (or even motorcycles).

That is actually being proposed in California: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46554218/new-car-regulated-speed-limit-california-bill/

When 80mph seems like not enough, move to Wales for a short time and enjoy 20mph. You will be so happy after coming back home :)

When 80mph seems like not enough, move to Wales for a short time and enjoy 20mph. You will be so happy after coming back home :)
80mph is fast enough, but the part where they want new cars to have tech that prevents it from going more than 10mph over the speed limit could be dangerous in certain situations where you need to pass someone or squeak out of a collision or just where the GPS may not have the accurate speed limit.

I'm so glad i live in Utah where nobody really cares!

80mph is fast enough, but the part where they want new cars to have tech that prevents it from going more than 10mph over the speed limit could be dangerous in certain situations

Not as dangerous as people driving 20-30 over all of the time, like many do here.

I think if cars are going to be connected and have driver aids, then they should be incapable of going 1 mph over the local limit. 45,000 dead Americans every year would agree with me, but they're dead.

Not as dangerous as people driving 20-30 over all of the time, like many do here.

I think if cars are going to be connected and have driver aids, then they should be incapable of going 1 mph over the local limit. 45,000 dead Americans every year would agree with me, but they're dead.
There are people who drive 20-30 mph over the speed limit all the time in California, but due to heavy traffic that means very unsafe driving in most areas. I would say that they are probably less than 5% of the people on the road (maybe less than 1%), but they cause problems for everyone. I am sure they rack up speeding tickets, but that doesn't seem to stop them. The most common cause for auto fatalities is distracted driving, not speeding. People need to turn off the phone when they get in the car if they can't resist reading and texting while they are driving. Honestly, I have zero interest in buying a car with a government mandated GPS device that tracks where I am, where I have been, how fast I am going, or even how many miles I have driven so that they can tax it.

Last year three kids died on high power e-bikes in UK. Two hit lamp post, third hit ambulance. :(
if we actually cared about people dying, we would ban driving. But we don't. Moral relativity.
i'm more worried about the dozens who died ingesting cheetos.

you need to pass someone
?
If you need to move more than 10 miles an hour OVER THE SPEED LIMIT to pass someone then you don't need to pass them - they are traveling fast enough, and you can stay under the speed limit and travel calmly to your destination.

If you can't keep the promises you made when you signed your driver's license, you can stop driving.

Back