E-Big Dummy Bobber-100V/HT3525

Seriously?

I go to load batteries in my bags and four of them are puffed and 0 volts. New batteries, nothing miswired as they were not connected at the power leads, only immediate suspect is the LVC balance boards (also new).

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUdge.

#moredelays

will_newton said:
Seriously?

I go to load batteries in my bags and four of them are puffed and 0 volts. New batteries, nothing miswired as they were not connected at the power leads, only immediate suspect is the LVC balance boards (also new).

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUdge.

#moredelays

Oh crap man. How long have you had those batteries, and have they been sitting discharged?
Vendor is supposed to ship 'em with a "storage charge" - I thought that was about 30% of fully charged (4.1v max).

Keep posting, keep posting. I've had to rejuvenate my own build (Phat Bike). Like you, my build thread went to sleep for awhile and I SERIOUSLY feel your pain about delays. But those are mostly behind me and I'm about to do some good updates to the Phattie thread. It's been down over a month but I'm chugging away at it. I'm dying to get in a few good commutes before really cold weather sets in. (We're supposed to get an arctic blast 2nd half of this week. We have frost warnings for tonight in effect now.)

I can't wait to get your impression of the performance and ride on the Big Dummy. That long wheelbase ought to kickass as an ebike and you will be able to carry tons 'o stuff. Justin 'n Co's approach has always been to use a longtail frame for ebike conversion, and I'm starting to see the true wisdom in that.

I just want to put this here as proof that I actually did get this together before I died. Not finished up, but wired up enough that I could test it on the bench today, but have not been on the road yet. More later, hopefully not two years later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 735
Just love that EV grin!
Low on the 3-spd switch is 25mph(40kph), Med is 35mph(56kph), and High is 42mph(67 kph)! Nice and torquey too!

I don't know the amp draw, my CA was not reading it. I have the ESC programmed for 35-40 amps. Gonna have to get it worked out so I will know what is actually going on.

I have tested this power setup on a previous bike on similar settings at 40a and this feels similar. I have also tested this setup at full 100v100a power by accident on that same bike. It is crazy, fast, and fun for a few seconds, but unsafe as hell in my neighborhood and without safety gear, and way beyond what this setup can sustain.

Did a 10 minute ride at varying speeds that got higher as I gained confidence. I finished my ride with some high power passes to make sure it was nicely warmed up and checked the temps. Batteries barely warm, ESC slightly warm, 3525 hub was the warmest at 145F(65C) on the case. I am not likely to stay at high amp draw for very long and keep it in Low or Medium, because I have owned a motorcycle and know what high speed impacts can do to a soft body.

From the bicycling aspect, the Big Dummy is a FANTASTIC frame match to this motor. It outstrips the Xtracycle add-on by a mile. No sway, impeccable handling at speed. The long frame makes dips disappear and the Crazy Bobs are better than Hookworms in ride feel. The BB7's are welcome and effective. This is the only rigid frame I would run at this power level.

Couldn't have asked for a better test run, even if it took almost six years to happen. 8)

will_newton said:
Just love that EV grin!
Low on the 3-spd switch is 25mph(40kph), Med is 35mph(56kph), and High is 42mph(67 kph)! Nice and torquey too!
....(awesome comments here)...
Couldn't have asked for a better test run, even if it took almost six years to happen. 8)

Congratulations Will! You kick ass, and the timeframe doesn't matter. We're all still here and all still applauding!
The Phat Bike wants to meet your Big Dummy!

Back