E-bike speed limits wtf?

Bronko

1 W
I know every state has there own laws on Ebikes but the federal law still limits them to 20mph. I feel like 30mph is more reasonable. I know a lot of the people on this blog ride bikes that go 50+! I cruise between 30-35mph and I feel like that's just right or a E-bike. I use my bike for commuting purposes mainly and I do ride on some streets where 40mph is the speed limit. I guess the point is I think we should try to get the speed limit raised to 30mph. Hell I have gone 30+ downhill on a single speed road bike :D

Might wanna do some reading up on what the actual laws are, and what they apply to, both federally and state/etc.; I think you have some misconceptions there. There are a number of threads discussing these if you wish to poke around for them. ;)

Federal law against selling an ebike that exceeds 20 mph, and calling it a bicycle. Many states have the same criteria in thier motor vehicle codes, which btw, also regulate bikes, horse and buggy, etc.

Mine doesn't. 8) 30 mph, no watt limit, but need a licence. Though a moped, I get away with riding courteously on bike paths and trails so far. You are in Texas, which I believe has the 20 mph rule. You can pedal up more, but good luck with that on a heavy bike. I don't think you are limited beyond the posted speed on a downhill.

Oddly, even on sla's the typical E bike motor kit will go 23 mph on 36v. Hmm. Guess the loophole is that it's not a bike till you add the bike. :roll:

Sorry to disagree... but most bicycles aren't designed to handle 30mph speeds. This is especially true here in Michigan, where a big pothole could rip your bike apart at 20+ mph. Not to mention, a fall at 30mph could be much more critical than one at 20mph. People get hurt badly enough just doing 20! I realize lots of ES guys do these speeds all the time, but for the average consumer / rider -- allowing this speed would be just asking for trouble...

Our legal speed limit is 15.5mph and 250W max rated power !!!!

Kudos

Ours is 15.5mph max assisted speed, not really a speed limit as such, as you can pedal the bike as fast as you like as long as the motor isn't doing anything over 15.5 mph. Similarly, the power limit is pretty vague, as although it's stated as being 250W, the way it's measured means that you can comfortably get away with more than double this power and still be legal. The power test here is an acceleration test, so as long as the controller phase current is turned down a 500W or more bike can legally be a "250 W" bike here.

Jeremy Harris said:
Ours is 15.5mph max assisted speed, not really a speed limit as such, as you can pedal the bike as fast as you like as long as the motor isn't doing anything over 15.5 mph. Similarly, the power limit is pretty vague, as although it's stated as being 250W, the way it's measured means that you can comfortably get away with more than double this power and still be legal. The power test here is an acceleration test, so as long as the controller phase current is turned down a 500W or more bike can legally be a "250 W" bike here.

Jeremy and other EU brothas - all countries in the EU require pedelec functionality too, right?

You want to go faster, then build an e-moto. Not only will you be legal, but you won't look stupid while wearing protective gear.

jkbrigman said:
Jeremy Harris said:

Jeremy and other EU brothas - all countries in the EU require pedelec functionality too, right?

Not quite. Most of the EU does require pedelec, the UK doesn't and allows throttles. I have a feeling that throttles are OK in a few other EU countries, too, although in general the assist speed and power limits are pretty standard (although Germany does have a higher power category, too).

yop, in Germany we have the 45Km/h category. But you need to add a bunch of cosmetics on your bike like blinkers and shield..etc AND you need an insurance...
Honestly after two years of dailly commuting I would be happy with a 20mph (32Km/h) limit for ebikes. I mostly drive this speed and I feel it the more comfortable in terms of ratio human power/electric power.
Anything upper is funny but IMHO not a bicycle anymore (all my last build could do it though ^^)
We also have something interesting in Germany. We have the possibility to have a "pulling" assistance until 6km/h (no pedeling) and then we have to pedel to get assistance. That let us quickstart at the light or easily start if heavy loaded and I feel this very good because even if I love hi-powered e-bikes I like to see electric-bikes remaining "bicycles".
Gruß,
H.

I'm with you Bronko. There's no limit other than speed limit on regular bikes, why the heck should there be limits just because you put an assist motor on it. A young fit cyclist can ride over 30mph easily for miles, and over 40 mph going downhill. It's simply discrimination. I'd like to see a minimum of 25mph and would prefer 30mph. However, I do think one should be at least 16 to use a motor. Believe it or not, there is a government bicycle guy in TX. Perhaps a phone in campaign is in order.
http://www.walkinginfo.org/assistance/contacts.cfm#TX

I sent you a message when you first posted here on ES. I ride all over Austin on my ebike and can offer you some advice/knowledge.

I'm willing to meet up, just message me.

Some potholes would wreck a motorcycle at 30 mph. But that's not the point.

I've found that even the cheaper bikes are fairly stable and free of speed wobble up to 30 mph. Since a toddler or a spaced out senior will quickly reach those speeds on a downhill, I don't get the reason for "20 mph for safety" either.

I don't advocate 20 mph speed limits for regular bikes, nor approve of ebikes on the street above 30 mph. It seems to me though, that 25 mph ebikes legal would not cause mayhem.

I have some bikes that go 27 and 30 mph that I ride on the street. But I'm most comfortable at about 20 mph, because I'm not fool enough to go play with traffic and need more. Just because I find 20 mph ok for me is no reason to require everybody to like it.

Justin gave some good reasons for why 25mph is the optimum speed for an ebike. I agree.

But really, I think it's extremely rare that a safe 25mph ebiker is hassled, at least in the US.

I agree 25 mph. 30 mph - starts feeling a little fast to control, can't really pedal to keep up, and the wind noise gets to me. I pretty much keep at 25 mph anyways.

True enough, do 25mph all you want and you probably don't get hassled : )

Higher speeds provide the capability for more damage. E-bikes are heavier as well, so an SLA E-bike going 30 will do more damage than a kid on a road bike doing 30. In California you can go up to 30, but above 20 they want you to get a 1 time license (I assume for giving tickets).

I can understand the trepidation and concern that people feel. But let's face it Bering on two wheels whether it's bicycle,
E-bike, scooter, or motorcycle evolves a certain amount of risk. We don't ride E-bikes to be "safe" we ride to have fun. If your ride can't handle 30mph then you might need to spruce up your build. I have hit 41mph and she felt solid and sturdy, but I find 30-35 is just right. The whole point of having a motor is to go faster then a bicycle. I have my M-class lincence because I used to ride motorcycles, but now I have a kid and daddy had to find his jollies else where and going 35mph on the custom bike I built feels pretty good. Bottom line if 30mph is to fast for ya maybe you should go back to ridding a regular bike. I need a bike with some balls damn it. If Ebikes can't keep up with with cars then they will never become mainstream.

What we need is a 45kph ebike class, with all the rights of a bicycle, and to be legal so manufactures can sell and market ebikes that, as you say (and I agree), can keep up with city traffic. I ride all over downtown on my ebike at 25-32mph or so at times, to keep with traffic. Try riding a current legal ebike up Lavaca. No other north route actually gets you anywhere in reasonable time. Taking the lane at 28-30mph keeps you multitudes safer.

But yeah, as it currently is, legal ebikes are probably never going to really catch on unless we have Dutch bike infrastructure, and even then, 1500watts means you don't have to pedal up hill.

I would be fine with registering my ebike as a 30mph moped if I retained all bicycle privileges and didn't require a motorcycle license or insurance.

5000 miles of ebiking at reasonable speeds all over central Austin and I've never once come close to an accident and my stress levels are much lower than if I were a sitting duck at bicycle speeds.

I need to get Chris Riley to try my bike.

veloman said:
I would be fine with registering my ebike as a 30mph moped if I retained all bicycle privileges and didn't require a motorcycle license or insurance.

I'd even be happy paying nominal third party insurance ($50 or thereabouts) as long as I could still use cycle routes etc.

Start looking for work In Albuquerque Veloman. A moped in New Mexico has a 30 mph limit, and no watt limit is specified as yet. No insurance, but any kind of drivers licence is needed. Not that cops even know the law enough to ask you for one.

No such thing as an ebike in NM, but nobody cares. I qoute the fed law, ride with courtesy, and don't get any push back from the riders on blm, "no motor vehicles" trails.

Im not satisfied with this current limit on speed limits. Does anyone want to join me and raise the federal speed limit to 30mph? By doing so creating a path for ebikes to become more mainstream in the States.

Nope. I ain't supporting that.
Most bicycles are NOT capable of safely going over 20mph for extended periods of time. An ebike that could go 30 should get the same laws and regulations as a moped, since it is a (MO)tor-(PED)al vehicle. Inspections, DOT approved tires, brakes, lights, and pay their fair share of the road tax.

Now there are always going to be those people who can build and operate an ebike safely at high speeds. they make up a tiny fraction of the world's population. Perhaps one person in 10,000. These are also the people who aren't going to draw unwelcome attentioned to them selves by riding in a stupid manner, and don't have any fear of getting caught. The only thing a campagin to increase the speed limits would do is draw unwelcome attention to the fact that ebikes can be built that go much faster than 20mph.

if it exercises bicycle privileges, it had better operate within the bicycle performance envelope. Most cyclists are not capable of riding around safely in traffic at 30mph-- and that's even more the case for folks who would not bother to ride a pedal bike, but only an e-bike.

Yes, bicycles can go 35mph downhill. So can an e-bike. What neither of them should be able to do without conforming to motor vehicle rules is sustain 35mph on the flat, uphill, or into the wind. Because in that case they are no longer bicycles in the way they relate to traffic-- they are motor vehicles.

Like Drunkskunk says, you can ride in such a way as to get away with non-compliant performance in your own bike. You'll know you're doing it right if you actually get away with it (and keep the peace with other road users).

Back