E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

I know this battery is small, but would a battery such as this, with 50 amp continuous be able to handle a Bomber running top speed? Looks like you could almost get 2 of these in a Bomber.

http://lunacycle.com/batteries/packs/60v/72v-panasonic-pf-11-6ah-with-luna-charger/

Theodore Voltaire said:
I know this battery is small, but would a battery such as this, with 50 amp continuous be able to handle a Bomber running top speed? Looks like you could almost get 2 of these in a Bomber.

http://lunacycle.com/batteries/packs/60v/72v-panasonic-pf-11-6ah-with-luna-charger/

There is enough room in the Bomber frame that you could parallel these packs and have a nice 23Ah battery. You wold need to turn your CA down to 50 amps on the Bomber running one pack, or you BMS would constantly trip and you would be doing resets everytime you whacked the throttle.

Rix said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

There is enough room in the Bomber frame that you could parallel these packs and have a nice 23Ah battery. You wold need to turn your CA down to 50 amps on the Bomber running one pack, or you BMS would constantly trip and you would be doing resets everytime you whacked the throttle.

Ok, running one pack turn the ca down to 50 amps, but what about if I was running 2 packs parallel. Leave the ca alone?

Right now my bike limits about 67 amps. I've never adjusted the ca, it's as it's always been from the factory. I think it's set for 60 amp, so I don't really know why it always about 67 as a max. I don't realty know what it runs at when I'm riding near top speed though.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Rix said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

Ok, running one pack turn the ca down to 50 amps, but what about if I was running 2 packs parallel. Leave the ca alone?

Right now my bike limits about 67 amps. I've never adjusted the ca, it's as it's always been from the factory. I think it's set for 60 amp, so I don't really know why it always about 67 as a max. I don't realty know what it runs at when I'm riding near top speed though.

Usually when I'm riding new top speed it's showing between 4200, and 4300 watts If I whack the throttle at about 30 mph I'll sometimes see it go above 5000 w what for short periods

Theodore Voltaire said:
Rix said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

So the CA has to play catch up when limits are exceeded. So when your amp setting is exceeded, it takes time for the CA to notice this and throttle back amps. Event the DC1 has lag time. I set my DC1 for 4200watts, and I see bursts of 4700watts, but it doesn't stay their for long. If you parallel the packs, you wont have to touch nothing. between the two BMS limits of 50amps you will have a potential of 100amps DC before BMS shut down, the stock Bomber is in no danger of drawing that much current.

Rix said:
So the CA has to play catch up when limits are exceeded. So when your amp setting is exceeded, it takes time for the CA to notice this and throttle back amps. Event the DC1 has lag time. I set my DC1 for 4200watts, and I see bursts of 4700watts, but it doesn't stay their for long. If you parallel the packs, you wont have to touch nothing. between the two BMS limits of 50amps you will have a potential of 100amps DC before BMS shut down, the stock Bomber is in no danger of drawing that much current.

That's sounding better and better. What is you opinion of running 2 of these packs? Seems like a $1000 plus me buying my own more powerful charger would be a good deal

Someone would be interested in buying my current Bomber battery made with LG DBHE2 cells?
It's a 20S14P 72V 35Ah nominal made with 2 x 10S14P packs connected in series and stay in the Bomber perfectly. There is no BMS, just the cells with discharge leads and balance leads and no charger would be sold with the used battery. Cycles count is about 140.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Rix said:

That's sounding better and better. What is you opinion of running 2 of these packs? Seems like a $1000 plus me buying my own more powerful charger would be a good deal

I think it would be a good deal. my bomber battery is on its last season for sure. I am planning on replacing the pack with something like this set up myself. I may employ Allex's services also.

bigbore said:
Someone would be interested in buying my current Bomber battery made with LG DBHE2 cells?
It's a 20S14P 72V 35Ah nominal made with 2 x 10S14P packs connected in series and stay in the Bomber perfectly. There is no BMS, just the cells with discharge leads and balance leads and no charger would be sold with the used battery. Cycles count is about 140.

Who ever get this Bomber is getting an awesome machine. Between you and Allex, the modifications and accessories alone are easily worth 4k and I am estimating low.

That pack on Luncacycle has 4p Panasonic Cells, each cell is good for 10A, this means 40Amps peak. But to get good cycle life I would not use them at over 6-7A Each so 28Amps a pack.

This is why i am still a big fan of 25R's. I want big capacity just like the next bloke, but no good sacrificing pack grunt and longevity for the sake of a few extra Whrs. The same pack built with 25R cells will do 50A without breaking a sweat and is still be good for 10ahr. It all comes down to price though and those Panasonic PF cells are great value for money. It would be nice if they offered the same pack but with 30Q's or a 25R option for those who are willing to pay a bit more. What i really like about 25R's is that you typically get close 2.5ah with very little sag towards the end of the discharge cycle.

When people come to me wanting a Stealth worthy pack, I still typically build them with 25R's. That way I know they won't disappointed.

Ok, hit me with the counter arguments :mrgreen:

What about the newer 3500mah cells like the Panasonic GA, LG MJ1 or Samsung 35E. They can do 10A continuous and offer 1000mah more per cell than the 25R's.
Even if we chop 25% off the continuous output rating, you would still only need 10 in parallel to make a 75A capable pack.
The pack I was entertaining with Allex a little while back for my Fighter was 14S14P of Panasonic 18650GA's. I might still build that pack one day as I still really like the idea of a 2.5Kwh pack in my Fighter and it would be capable of 100A easy.

Cheers

I was running 18s6p of 18650GA in my flux and still punching 80a, lots of fun and room for a controller.

Allex said:
That pack on Luncacycle has 4p Panasonic Cells, each cell is good for 10A, this means 40Amps peak. But to get good cycle life I would not use them at over 6-7A Each so 28Amps a pack.

There's always a catch. Sounds like you're saying riding the way I do, this pack will be boarder line, maxed out, probably run hot, and not last long?

Theodore Voltaire said:
Allex said:

There's always a catch. Sounds like you're saying riding the way I do, this pack will be boarder line, maxed out, probably run hot, and not last long?

Hey, but wait a minute. If it's 2 packs parallel wouldn't that be 80 amps max? Wouldn't that be plenty for a stock Bomber with a subdued mild mannered gentleman like me hardly twisting the throttle?

Rix said:
bigbore said:

Who ever get this Bomber is getting an awesome machine. Between you and Allex, the modifications and accessories alone are easily worth 4k and I am estimating low.

Wait :mrgreen: I've been loving my #301 Bomber and I'm only trying to see if there is some interest in my current battery so I will update to something like Sansung 30Q 8)

Theodore Voltaire said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
Allex said:

Hey, but wait a minute. If it's 2 packs parallel wouldn't that be 80 amps max? Wouldn't that be plenty for a stock Bomber with a subdued mild mannered gentleman like me hardly twisting the throttle?

Yes, 2 in parallel would be great. But probably a hassle to charger them both at the same time.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Allex said:

with 30Q cells, so go with 25R cells if you want to maximize performance with the smallest possible pack.

Rix said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
Allex said:

with 30Q cells, so go with 25R cells if you want to maximize performance with the smallest possible pack.

What I want is 25ah, or more, for less than a $1000. The way things are going I think I may get my wish, considering I'll probably get one more year out of my stock battery.

Theodore Voltaire said:
What I want is 25ah, or more, for less than a $1000. The way things are going I think I may get my wish, considering I'll probably get one more year out of my stock battery.

In Italy we say :
You want the barrel full and the wife drunk :D

Back