E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Theodore Voltaire said:
I rode 28.5 miles with an average speed of 20.8 mph, and a max speed of 52.5 mph. The no load voltage is now sitting at 73.2 v.

From this point it took 3 hours to charge with my charger set for 6 amp. So 18 ah.

28.5 divided by 18 = 1.58 niles per ah. My conservative estimate of total useable battery is 31 ah considering sag. 1.58 x 31 = 48.98 miles. Not bad considering the way I was riding last night. I have to believe that running at a constant speed I would get a little better range now than before, and it's safe to say even if my calculations are off a little, it's not worse than before.

Last night I went on a second range test. The main difference this time was I used a lot less full throttle, but the average speed was about the same, 20.4 vs 20.8. This time I rode 40.8 miles, avg sp 20.4, top speed 47.8, and at the end of the ride voltage was 71.4 v. Even though I didn't use full throttle as much I was riding, and accelerating almost the same as the first test. Charge time was 3.5 hours.

I ridden this same route many times, and typically I use about 21 ah. With my charger still set on 6 amp, 3.5 x 6 is oh guess what? 21 ah. That works out to 40.8 divided by 21 = 1.94 miles per volt. Slightly better than the first test by not using full throttle. Otherwise there wasn't much difference in the actual riding experience. That works out to about 58 mile range.

My conclusion is I'm pretty confidant in saying, I can ride a little more aggressively just cruising around than before, and still have slightly more range as long as I stay off full throttle. The difference is not gigantic, but it is noticable. That makes the low speed button even more attractive.

So the bottom line as far as range goes, is it hasn't changed much. I still have way more range than I typically need no matter how I ride, but now I could probably extend it a little more than before by riding slow.

That's enough about boring old range stuff. What's a lot more interesting is how it feels in traffic. I love love love it. It feels like it has twice the acceleration from about 20 to 50. Perfect for Dallas riding. Throttle response is right now, on the #3 setting. I don't know what was going on last night, but traffic was crazy everywhere I rode. Obviously higher gas prices haven't had much effect, but it was interesting to see how much better my bike moves in heavy traffic. Even though it goes faster, it feels a lot safer to me.

It's been my experience with other bikes in the past that after souping them up, they may go faster, but a lot of times the character of the bike changes for the worse. I'm happy to report that's not the case this time. It still feels like the same loveable Stealth Bomber it always was, but better. When I ride it slow it feels exactly the same as before. Cruising is no different either. Only when gassing it does it feel a lot different, but I like the difference. This is probably the most successful power upgrade I've ever done to one of my bikes, and definitely one of the least expensive for the % of increase. Usually gas milage is the biggest casuality, but that doesn't seem to be the case this time. The only down side is I think I'm going to be changing tires a lot more often.

Today I went on a long ride on the low speed setting. I was pretty impressed with the way it works. I can ride 35 mph, and acceleration is decent. In a range contest it would be almost impossible beat using the high power setting. This set up beats the crap out of stock but I'm not surprised after so many years.

20221023_150629.jpg

Congrats on the build! Will def have to pick your brain on wiring details. Be interesting to see how it handles heat compared to your old motor.
833BC957-E15A-4DA3-869C-C7A9D6240D2F.jpeg

Playing terminator again…

Attachments

• 2099D7EB-939F-41AB-995F-C0A953533369.jpeg
    2099D7EB-939F-41AB-995F-C0A953533369.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 506
  • 47418858-63BF-4E78-AEBC-80BA06872BE3.jpeg
    47418858-63BF-4E78-AEBC-80BA06872BE3.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 506
Theodore Voltaire said:
1abv said:
A5ECAF2F-0365-4796-B33A-EA04344AF9F6.jpeg40346EB8-E00E-4C1F-B947-0FF8B9506120.jpeg

Ridin w a talaria…

A Sur Ron seems little next to your bike doesn't it?

It is a little smaller, it looks a log smaller because the seat and handlebar heights in stock trim are lower than the bomber.

@ABV, thankyou for keeping #143 going. The frame is 11 years old in a couple of months. :bigthumb:

Rix said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
1abv said:
A5ECAF2F-0365-4796-B33A-EA04344AF9F6.jpeg40346EB8-E00E-4C1F-B947-0FF8B9506120.jpeg

Ridin w a talaria…

A Sur Ron seems little next to your bike doesn't it?

It is a little smaller, it looks a log smaller because the seat and handlebar heights in stock trim are lower than the bomber.

I think the wheels have a lot to do with it too. Especially if it has the 17" motard wheels. Onyx look the same way too, their wheels look little.

Wasn't trying to top it out, just wanted to survive in traffic. My charge already had 35 to 40 miles on it at the time. I was sitting up, but was with a light wind, and there was probably at least some drafting going on. Could have gone maybe 10 more miles on the low power setting.

Record top speed.jpg
20221027_182659.jpg

1abv said:
Congrats on the build! Will def have to pick your brain on wiring details. Be interesting to see how it handles heat compared to your old motor.
833BC957-E15A-4DA3-869C-C7A9D6240D2F.jpeg

Playing terminator again…

I'd like to see more in town pics.

I'm curious about the heat management too. Summers are brutal in Texas so it's going to get put to the test for sure. I think we're going to have to wait until next summer to find out though, because now that the weather turned cooler nothing is getting more than slightly warm.

Wow look at this bike that's fixing to come out. It's going to kill sur ron sales

[youtube]ZggZ_5EPkoQ[/youtube]

https://www.estrapz.com/product-page/storm-shock

I'm sold in these metal brake pads. They're worth the extra money, because they make up for costing more by lasting a long time.

Anorher easy upgrade I recommend is, get rid of those dinkey little 203mm rotors,and go 220mm. Right now I only have one on the rear, because I'm too lazy to take the front wheel off before I need a tire, but my rear brake feels stronger than the front.

I raced one of these today. My friend just bought one. It's a SYM/Lance Cali Classic 200i. 11.8 hp. It weights about 245 lb. It beat me in a straight line, but not by much. In a rat race it wouldn't stand a chance against my bike. I rode it around the block without going very fast, and it felt heavy and cumbersom with weird steering, and slow response, kind of like a boat. We went on a fast ride across town where I got up to 55 again. Later my friend was telling me about all the huge bumps we were hitting. We hit one big dip that I didn't think was all that, but he said it almost threw him off the bike. That's what stinky little scooter wheels are like. I was thinking the road was pretty smoorh lol.

Lance Cali Classic 200i.jpg

What motor comes in the Stealth B-52 at this point?

If it is not the Crystalyte motor with a 55mm tall stator, has anyone used the H5580 or H55100 motor? It appears it comes in a couple different widths one of which will fit a bike with 135mm dropouts.

Thanks

Bullfrog said:

If it is not the Crystalyte motor with a 55mm tall stator, has anyone used the H5580 or H55100 motor? It appears it comes in a couple different widths one of which will fit a bike with 135mm dropouts.

Thanks

Stealth is currently using the H55xx UFO series. Minus the different hub side covers and spoke flange drillings, its the same is the standard H55xx series. I don't think an H55 will fit a 135mm dropout, if it does, there won't be enough room for the disk brake and freewheel, You may want to look at the H40xx or H35xx series. Those will fit and you can probably fit up to a 5 or 6 speed free wheel.

Rix said:
Bullfrog said:

Thanks

Stealth is currently using the H55xx UFO series. Minus the different hub side covers and spoke flange drillings, its the same is the standard H55xx series. I don't think an H55 will fit a 135mm dropout, if it does, there won't be enough room for the disk brake and freewheel, You may want to look at the H40xx or H35xx series. Those will fit and you can probably fit up to a 5 or 6 speed free wheel.

Thank You :).

I'll check with Crystalyte on the disc brake rotor/freewheel. Sent them a message a while back and the actual width of the H55xx motor is 140mm so it should fit in a steel framed 135mm bike with a little flexing.

Back