El Steak Super-Commuter

I just replaced my motor after destroying my original 2807 because of a failed air cooling mod:

P1040322.jpg

I toyed with the idea of getting one of the nw Crystalyte motors but the 2 models available don't have the speed I need at 100V in a 24inch wheel. One is a bit too slow and the other is too fast and I'm afraid it would harm my precious Methods 18FET controller.

So I bought a replacement 2807 with the new cover design. The new design is much better, everything aligns perfectly, no need to dish the wheel and there is plenty of room for the disk brake. Actually, I think an 8 inch rotor would fit in the TidalForce frame. With the previous cover design, I had to go through a lot of frame mods to barely get the 6 inch rotors in.

Wow Steak,

That is some major destruction! Did it die gradually or all at once? What are the wood pieces in the photo?

Ambrose

It was a sudden failure, explained here:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9791&start=525#p400526

The wood pieces are actually aluminum. They were little fan blades epoxied inside the covers for air cooling. It didn't work but I didn't botter removing them until one came loose and destroyed the motor... live and learn.

So after the motor failure that occured at the start of the season (see above). I bought a new 9c motor. Same winding (9x7) but with the new flat covers and the ISO disk brake mounts.

This motor is a big improvement on the original 9c: the dishing problem is gone and the ISO brake mount is great.

Of course I did the usual upgrades to the phase wires, added a temp probe inside and drilled the covers. I then tried to lace the wheel myself, but even after long hours reading all the guides online, it ended up as a miserable failure, with 5 broken spokes in around 300 km.

Then I met with ES member fractal who suggested I take the wheel to Juergen at ridemore.ca in Ottawa. Juergen has a small shop in Ottawa where he sells complete ebikes as well as conversion kits. He's a friend of Justin and a reseller for him.

Anyways, Juergen's bike mechanic laced me one hell of a good wheel! he used double butted sapim spokes (13g/14g) and added some brass washers at the flange for a better fit. The new wheel is perfectly true and super strong. I rode close to 500km on it and submitted it to nasty potholes at high speeds on my hardtail bike and its still perfect with no signs of getting loose at all.

Its great to have found an expert ebike-wheel builder in my area!

P1040556.jpg

El_Steak said:
So after the motor failure that occured at the start of the season (see above). I bought a new 9c motor. Same winding (9x7) but with the new flat covers and the ISO disk brake mounts.

This motor is a big improvement on the original 9c: the dishing problem is gone and the ISO brake mount is great.

Of course I did the usual upgrades to the phase wires, added a temp probe inside and drilled the covers. I then tried to lace the wheel myself, but even after long hours reading all the guides online, it ended up as a miserable failure, with 5 broken spokes in around 300 km.

Then I met with ES member fractal who suggested I take the wheel to Juergen at ridemore.ca in Ottawa. Juergen has a small shop in Ottawa where he sells complete ebikes as well as conversion kits. He's a friend of Justin and a reseller for him.

Anyways, Juergen's bike mechanic laced me one hell of a good wheel! he used double butted sapim spokes (13g/14g) and added some brass washers at the flange for a better fit. The new wheel is perfectly true and super strong. I rode close to 500km on it and submitted it to nasty potholes at high speeds on my hardtail bike and its still perfect with no signs of getting loose at all.

Its great to have found an expert ebike-wheel builder in my area!

P1040556.jpg

Very good mechanic indeed!!! My wheel was completely out of balance and had a snapped spoke. Before I took it to Juergen, I took it to some lycra bike shop and when i showed my wheel to that guy, he had that look on is face (WTF is that!!!). When i found out about Juergen's shop (ridemore.ca) i took it there and you can bet that I will be going back!!! Wheel building and truing is an art in itself.

ran into our friend el-steak here today at Major's hill park. Impressive bike, friendly guy!

nice meeting you friend.

Andje

Hey nice meeting you today Andje!

I instantly knew you were an ES member when I saw your drilled X5 covers :)

I've also met Fractal who's in the process of building a 10kw bike like us (24s3p as well I think). You might know him as you've commented in his thread.

Maybe we should all go for a ride after the winter. I'll have to upgrade a few things if I want to keep up with you guys though :D

That sounds awesome! It sure is starting to get cold on the old rear end :mrgreen: When I go home at 7 o'clock at night. Its pretty dark too, but with my 2 cycle lumenators, even pitch black on the bike path is not an issue. Those things are awsome. At 50 volts, they dont take a lot of battery power.

Quite a few people in Ottawa on this board eh? Look forward to meeting some of you!

I'm about to start my Giant DH Team build with Cromotor and a commuter bike for my uncle :) I will post a build log once I receive my Lipo

Back