electric kit on semi recumbent bike (India)

Another question. A little off topic though. Pedal assist system.
my current bike has 8 magnet pas. it works fine. however, since it is a basic setup, it has only one power level. that means, whenever i pedal, the motor gives me a fixed amount of push. from my rides i guess it is around 80% of the full throttle power.

in the cheaper version of kit, they provide 5 magnet pas. i have gone through few articles & threads to understand pas. in my understanding, since there is only one power level, the only difference number of magnets will make is how quick the motor hits in / goes off. is this right?

is it wise to use different power levels with using an LED display (diplays / cyclo computers are super rare in india because of theft issues).
or should i go for torque sensors for better ride experience?

Choudhary said:
in the cheaper version of kit, they provide 5 magnet pas. i have gone through few articles & threads to understand pas. in my understanding, since there is only one power level, the only difference number of magnets will make is how quick the motor hits in / goes off. is this right?
Yes.

About the front / rear hub motor. I know most people support rear wheel motor. The primary reason cited for this is that motor in front wheel affects handling a lot (am i right?)
Now in India, biking is not as refined as in West. Most bikes weigh around 20kg. And handling is not in the first page of priorities.
Also, the motor I am using is quite small & light 2.8kg (it this light?). And I have seen some of the popular ebikes / kits like Faraday, LEEDS, Dillenger, some bikes of Prodeco etc. etc. using front hub motor. I guess these bikes are not focussed on performance. And one of the focus, along with decent city ride experience, is ease of repairing, installation.

I also believe that front hub motor offers slightly less inconvenience in installation, maintenance. They are also cheaper (no provision for cassettes, disc brakes). And since my motor is light, handling wouldn't be an issue (i did not feel any difference in my home made recumbent).

But but but.

I had notions about VRLA battery too. And within 3-4 test rides, I have completely changed my opinion about them. So I am hoping to get this cleared before I make any big purchase.

Back