Electric Messerschmitt project

markcycle said:
You might have some interest in the work I'm doing on a high power Hub motor (Motorcycle class Hub motor)

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7718

Mark

Mark-

I've seen your running progress report and will continue to follow your development project. Best of luck to you.

Right now I am limited by a need for a slide-through axle, although while trying to think of a way to accept your fixed axle motor I may have solved my rear wheel alignment problem.

If I could install a pair of tabs to accept a drop-out type installation, I could use a fixed axle motor and also be able to align the wheel. This would add only about an inch or so to my ride height, I could either ignore the difference or offset it with a slightly smaller diameter tire. This solution wouldn't work for everyone but it might for me.

Thanks for weighing in.

I'll have a hollow axle version by the end of February to test and by early april I'll have the MHM602 to sell

It should work well in your car application If you need it sooner I might be able to do it if you can go for the added cost of air delivery I'm not trying to sell you just wanted you to know the axle will be hollow and take a through bolt. also I'm intergating the rear disc brake into the hub motor

just a note I'm writing this on my phone so I can't show a picture

Mark

Neat project! I vote for teardrop panniers. but if you use Lithium, it shouldn't add to much weight at all, so you can mount it high if you want. Or maybe mount it underneath the whole body in a really thin layer. You could use pvc tubes like vrdublove has done. I have to add, you might find some people disapprove of bastardizing this uber rare car. Any updates?

I have to disagree with Etard and others, and vote for any exterior changes to be made only that improve aerodynamics, not that detract from it. Even if battery placement interior to the body shell requires reinforcement that increases weight (to a reasonable extent only) in order to prevent them from taking up valuable passenger space, it will be effort well spent in the long run. Aerodynamics is everything unless A. Your expected speed is under 25mph B. You have mountainous terrain to contend with, which instantly becomes a top design priority. If the original exterior has protrusions such as a luggage rack, get rid of them in favor of modifications that improve aero without losing functionality. eg How often are luggage racks even used?...Nice idea for the occasional convenience, but it's not too hard to make the entire thing a strap on when needed.

John

Hi, I found the thread about your electric Messerschmitt project while searching for measured drawings of the car. Did you ever finish the project? I noticed your model was developed in 3DS Max. Any chance that you would be willing to share it or even just the exterior shell? I am working on a little project that is playing around with the form of the car here in the architecture program at Louisiana State University.

I eventually abandoned the project with the intention of picking it up at a later date. The later date never arrived, and the car gathered dust in my garage. Around three months ago I sold the car to a guy who had plans to properly restore it. Going back through this thread was a nice trip down memory lane, however.

The renderings in this thread were not my creation. A user named michaelplogue was the person one who added them to the discussion.

For what it's worth, my son is currently a petroleum engineering student at LSU. I will be visiting him in Baton Rouge this summer (probably late July) if you'd like to get together to discuss your project.

Ken

Back