Electric Motorcycle / Bicycle Project

toolman2 said:
the ca 120 has over double the amount of copper than the 80-100's, and double the amount of poles and can produce over 3 times the continuous torque, and over 4 times when they are both tested cooled.

but no, they are not quite double the weight, cos they are hollowed out inside with alloy cooling holes. :D

mine use more like 5A unloaded, and i got them rewound and cheap from this dude (dale kramer)who flew himself off the water with floats in a real (lazair) plane.

I was going by the off the shelf spec, have you got contact info for this guy as 5a no load @48v and cheap would be nice if they are what you say they are then I would be in the market for a boat load of them, but its still over kill for a 40kg bike :mrgreen:

How did you get the CA120-70 down to 5A.
I heard they were about 20A no-load at 48V.

Also what controller could you use to find its potential?

150kv with 28 magnetic poles at 48V got me to 100800 electrical rpm. To get the potential out of the motor (puts out its power/weight equivalent of a C80100) you need to run it at a higher voltage right?

Oops; didn't notice that it was rewound.
What gauge wire, delta or wye, and winding count?

Bjorntsc said:
Oops; didn't notice that it was rewound.
What gauge wire, delta or wye, and winding count?

just for now, i think it was 23g and 3.5 turns, same 3.5turns as std and changed to wye, so its now 83kv with advance, but he got the resistance down from 15m ohms to 9.5, and thats about the same as the collosus. :!:
the photo is him doing this, kilo1 is his username on rcgroups? -and sorry gwhy i bought the 3 he had, but i have his efforts documented, will post up.

the bike is still on the stock windings now anyway and you can't overheat it, as all full throttle operation at any rpm and load is ok for continuous, and as you can see, you really cant hold it flat very long. :wink:

i have more info and vid's to come if folks are keen, but im too hopeless with computers, so need a "hole" to drop files into, some too many mb?

Attachments

• Winding start.jpg
    Winding start.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,941
Here is a BB project that I have been working on for a few months:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43184&p=630147#p630147

It went from a first chain reduction before going to the banebot planetary (4 reductions to around 90 rpm at cranks).
It was 60% done (ready to mount) then:
I found out about endless-sphere and decided to make it more like a dirt bike (Kim's V10, butie's Kona, ego-kits,...) where you get more power at the loss of being able to crank while cruising.

For later on clearance issues:
Are the 63** series turnigy aerodrive motor face mount plates compatible?

Bjorntsc said:
How did you get the CA120-70 down to 5A.
I heard they were about 20A no-load at 48V.

Also what controller could you use to find its potential?

150kv with 28 magnetic poles at 48V got me to 100800 electrical rpm. To get the potential out of the motor (puts out its power/weight equivalent of a C80100) you need to run it at a higher voltage right?

its a bit deceptive using amps not watts, but we regularly hear of 20-28a no load current at 48v with this motor and for some reason an initial judgement has been passed down by the ES crew a couple of years ago and has remained permanent. -i think someone popular here called it a pig or a dog and that was that..

the ca120 is no different to any of our decent 85-90% permanent magnet iron statored motors, hubs, rc, brushed or not. -if you take the no load consumption and times it by about 15, you arrive (roughly) at peak efficiency and therefore a good place to aim for at full power, it took me days to boil it down to this, oversimplified, but there you go.

basically, lurking behind the fairly large no load loss is a correspondingly large ability for making power via its super low resistance, this made everyone scared cos back then cheap controllers were not up to the job, now it seems they are.

so, if you rev this motor to the point where you are using 28a no load, you must be aiming for about 420a full load current and thats now about 20kw max input and not far off peak efficiency (about 87% in this case) for that battery voltage, so its very keen for a motor the size of about 45 cd's in a stack, but ok for burst use at 20kw (25% duty actually) with fan cooling.

so any normal electric motor that is set up for 20kw running sweet as at peak efficiency of 87% would have around 2600w of losses, half winding losses, half no load losses, thats not far of this motor at 28a*48v= 1344w no load loss, at this voltage.

its optional if you want to push it that hard, the ca120 will cope with this 20kw load with 87% eff, just like say a $1000, 8", 11kg perm 132 does, but im currently tuned for 5kw, so my no load losses are about 350w
in the end i think people do get this, when you say it has too much power for a 40kg bike, and it only weighs 2.2kg..

-and what to do with the spare space and 5 to 10kg that im not carrying? :wink:

so heres how:
grind BETWEEN stator teeth to glue 3 hall sensors in, ill have to put up a pic for thier positions etc, in the middle of a tooth or external halls both gave misses at high phase amps.

shield the hall wires, add extra 2.2k pullup resistors, and .1uf caps and then to burties timing module, get it to learn the hall sequence, then disable learning and try 15deg of advance static and 5 deg per 1000 rpm, will need fine tuning.

change the motor windings to wye, can be done without too much grief, just at the wires external to the motor, should now be 84kv, so 60v and 100a battery current gives you 5000rpm and good for about 6kw.

im using a $489 10kw kelly keb: http://kellycontroller.com/keb7210024v-72v450a10kw-bike-brushless-controller-p-1182.html
it has extra low esr caps at the bus bars, and it will need the latest firmware and a different user interface thingy with an extra screen of adjustments.
contrary to what i and others would expect this controller has been completely reliable, they happened to be doing new firmware when i got to dynoing the motor so i just kept hassling them for changes till it worked good and with heaps faster responce.

there is also a funny little regen thing that kellys do even without being a regen model :? (3kw+ skidding the rear tyre on liftoff), can be fixed by hassling burtie for a timing chip with high speed map changeover switch inputs etc.

that should give about 6a no load, at 48v, 4000 rpm, now suited for 4.3kw, set the kelly for torque throttle, and if you gear lower than 9:1 your off the back.
its quite easy, no really, now that it works it's not that hard or expensive, and ill help folks who want to make it happen.

Bjorntsc said:
No, but do you have a link?
yes: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19964__Turnigy_RotoMax_100cc_Size_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

now it get's interesting, theres also another that looks optimized for more rpm less torque, lower no load losses, and i reckon may be a hacker a200.
i had $1300 down on the very same a200 for this project 2 years ago, it never arrived i got a refund and went all hobby city and now they sell them in black at a third the price: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19964__Turnigy_RotoMax_100cc_Size_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

notice the shorter stator teeth, and .2mm laminations miles :D big cooling holes in the above motor, ill bet its a few % more efficient at light loads and good for way more revs vs the waay longer iron teeth and nearly double the copper in the ca120 that is made for torque: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14427__Turnigy_CA120_70_Brushless_Outrunner_100cc_eq_.html

If you are only using 5KW why not use a C80100 motor instead?
Also, have you tried your controller up to the 200+ amp mark yet?

Hi, I can't praise Toolman2's setup highly enough, i have ridden this bike in several stages of ongoing development it has over 200Nm at the back wheel and weighs under 40kg!. We have done numerous drag races against my 5000w magic pie with 14" wheel and and it craps on it by about 25m in 100meters using only 4500w in. Going out riding in the bush with motorcross bikes my downhill bike uses about 90w/KM(and is overheating 175 degree winding temp with internal fans,holes and internal vanes) and toolman only uses about 45W/KM! and is only warm. Twice the range! Full size wheel, about 4kg lighter and twice sustainble rear wheel torque than a hub motor! To do a full power take off on grass you have to lean over the handle bars, aka motorcross racing start and it can wheel spin up to about 40 it then starts to lift up the front. Having said that the bike is a bit of a death trap of duct tape, lipo, tackwelded suspension pickups, cast off parts more lipo, extra capacitors, timing devices pedals that don't go around etc. Most people are to scared to ride it in fear of electrocution ,fires or flipping it, but it rides really nice and the Kelly controller has HEAPS better throtle modulation than my 24 fet fed hub motor. Toolman has supplied a very good hard earned proven recipe. Its a lot of work but more people need to make one of these .
Zappy

Has anyone tried to drag a dirt bike with about a 5kW motor so that I can get a better idea of the power?
I ride some trail/mx when I get the chance to go with my uncle and friends.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F19964%5F%5FTurnigy%5FRotoMax%5F100cc%5FSize%5FBrushless%5FOutrunner%5FMotor.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F25413%5F%5FTurnigy%5FRotoMax%5F150cc%5FSize%5FBrushless%5FOutrunner%5FMotor.html

Not sure if these are any good as a bit cheaper than the ca120. Only try help lol I only just started my 80100 build so all new to me im years behind you'd lot lol

I talked to toolman2 about them.
There is a thread that split off of the 12kW colossus motor thread yesterday on the later.

Some main parts are done on my other project!

file.php

file.php

:twisted:
I have to re-machine these.
Trying to finish the rest of the parts this week!

:twisted:
The weights are looking like they are going to be in the 4-6 pounds added to the bike.
Should be looking for a RC CA and a controller.

Note:
If you cannot see the pictures:
hold ctrl and scroll out to zoom, for PC

Deep into my 3rd one now...
Going for a complete assembly and lower weight.

First was ~9 lbs. on bike (pictured) with sensorless, bike was just sub 40 lbs.
It had a top speed of 37mph (not power limited), about 12 miles topped out and 20+ while conservative.
Sorry for the quality:
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/328590/
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/328591/

Second was 4+1.5 lbs. on bike (ran off the disk brake mount).
Had a sealing problem with the chain near the disk brake.

New 7.5 lbs. sealed and sensored controller bike system.
power unit looks about 4.2 pounds as is!
Should have more thorough pictures in a few months when it is done (hopefully some trail segments too).

Back