Enclosed trike / Velomobile dream

michaelplogue said:
I'm surprised nobody has suggested a flexible, fabric skin velomobile body - like the concept BMW GINA. You wouldn't necessarily need to have it capable of changing shape, but a simple fiberglass, CF, or aluminum rod framework with a durable lycra-like fabric would make a simple and aerodynamic body. If one wanted a more permanent solution, one could simply give it a couple of good layers of spray epoxy.
Dacron heat shrunk over a frame is used to make very light boats:
19-15x.jpg

Can be painted with regular latex paint for a more solid look.

Make the cover look like this tadpole trike ...

ELIO_middle.png

jag said:
michaelplogue said:
I'm surprised nobody has suggested a flexible, fabric skin velomobile body - like the concept BMW GINA.
Sorry, I suggested that here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5879&p=91308&hilit=BMW#p91308
and here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3766&p=70246&hilit=BMW#p70246
Having said that, the more often it's said the better :D

I just posted this:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14654&p=218351&hilit=velomobile#p218351
It's an 11kg velomobile, a lecture video by it's author.

I do not think the a frame covered with stretch material would work. In any sort of accident, it would be torn/ripped/melted open leaving you exposed to the roads surface. As someone who has slide a velomobile on its side for 12 metres with no protection, that situation is never going to end well. In the past, we used to use shrink wrap to enclose our vehicles, which would work but would be damaged easily.

Below is a picture of this years trike. This was powered by a 31cc Honda and pedals after the electric motors speed controller kept blowing up :evil: forcing us to shelve the elecric motor for this year until I can come up with something more reliable.
power ram close up.jpg

jmygann said:
Make the cover look like this tadpole trike ...

ELIO_middle.png

Dude, elio motors needs to start bringing that to market. I'm thinking it might be much better for me to modify an existing base than to create my own, especially if I plan to use it for "high speed", long distance trips. And that base looks pretty attractive at that price. I really care about the aerodynamics for long distance trips, and long distance trips only seem time-wise practical at higher speeds. For within the town trips, aerodynamics isn't as much of an over-riding concern as the needed battery capacity is fairly small and I already have that spectrum "covered" (Mostly).

e mail them ....

http://www.eliomotors.com/contact.html

I had hoped it was a 2 seater but looks like a single

Let's raise this thread from the dead. I'd love to live car free, and do mostly with my two bikes and my walking shoes, but to be able to sell my car I need the ability to carry a passenger and ride in the rain. The enclosed tadpole with a passenger seat right behind the driver would do it for me too. Full suspension, big motor (likely a cromotor) to handle the passenger weight, and loads of batteries for those 100 mile days.

Wish I knew how to weld, it's something I'll have learn I think. I love the look of this trike, it has front suspension, and 3 seats in fact. I'd want full suspension for comfort and speed though, but those green trays would make a great spot for batteries and other electronics.
IMG_0810.JPG

Here's the standard unsuspended two seater with some electric assist
svtwoback.jpg

So how hard would it be to weld a frame like that? Is it better to buy a fully suspended trike to use for parts, or is it just something you can jump into using recycled bicycle parts?

That frame looks like it is entirely bolted together, so you woulnd't *have* to do any welding to build it. It may be using one of the various "systems" for building stuff from tubing and connectors, or it might be entirely scratch. If it's one of the systems, then while it might cost more for hte parts they're designed to be easy to use an dput together. If it's from scratch it might be cheaper but take more DIY to make it all work.

With all the white stuff out there, you really need a shell. That trike would work fine in my neck of the woods with a rain top.
otherDoc

Back