Factory Longtail Cargobikes (17 so far)

Great post spinningmagnets. I plan on ordering a longtail next year and have some of your same questions.

So far the Big Dummy seems to be winning - I never thought about your rear wheel comment and the disc brake excellent point.

Anyone use one for a commuter ? wonder how that works out.

I don't know about the motorcycle tires soaking up bumps. The ones I run don't seem to do so even as much as bike tire does. One of mine was so stiff, on the way to the store I thought "the tire is low, so I need to remember to put some air when I get home". I checked it at the store and it had no air pressure, because it picked up a nail that ripped the tube. I rode the flat home take a lot of care on any turns. That's the only flat in almost 3 years on my 2 bikes with moto tires, so yes they're much more puncture resistant than bike tires. Plus they don't need air nearly as often either.

Why use a 20" bike rim? Those new xlyte motors probably use rotors from small e-moto's and that's why the spoke holes are so big. Get a moto rim. I have 14's and 17"ers and the 14's end up about a 20" wheel with a fairly big tire, and the 17's end up a 23.5" wheel with the tires I have. The one 16" rim I have has a little Pirelli that only makes it about a 21" wheel. Moto spokes, rims, and tires is the way to go for a nearly no maintenance wheel, not just a moto tire on a bike rim.

Oh, and if you really want to soak up the bumps, then run a fatty tire like used on the Hanebrink ebike.

I chose the Yuba Mundo (V.2) Based on price and payload...Price was about $1000 and payload 440 lbs (?), best in it's class.

Shortly after I made my purchase, they came out with (V.3), disc brake ready. Same price, better stopping power (certainly debatable).

My V.2 is holding up well, carrying far more than 500 lbs on a regular basis, the only draw back, I do have to change brake pads every 4 or 5 months.

Next time I build one, disc brakes and re-gen. Hopefully, I find a version 3 frame, not sure about this version 4??? (looks weak)

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 5,639
Love this thread - love the bikes

[img=https://sites.google.com/site/shelbyelectro/Bike-of-the-week/EV-labs-Yuba-Mundo]I did a feature on Kiwi's yuba mundo conversions,[/img] some of the nicest ebike conversions I've seen yet IMHO

PICT0181.jpg

That is one nice traveling setup you have there. Do you have a link to the build?

Mundo said:
I chose the Yuba Mundo (V.2) Based on price and payload...Price was about $1000 and payload 440 lbs (?), best in it's class.

Shortly after I made my purchase, they came out with (V.3), disc brake ready. Same price, better stopping power (certainly debatable).

My V.2 is holding up well, carrying far more than 500 lbs on a regular basis, the only draw back, I do have to change brake pads every 4 or 5 months.

Next time I build one, disc brakes and re-gen. Hopefully, I find a version 3 frame, not sure about this version 4??? (looks weak)

Next time I build one, disc brakes and re-gen
Thanks for posting. You might be able to add regen by simply purchasing a regen-ready controller. I might add two torque arms, but the stock front Mundo fork you have is very beefy.

Another option for a direct-drive hub motor is to add a "plug brake". This is a coil of resistor wire that is switched into phase wires of the hub-motor. A plug-brake doesnt send any charge back into the battery like regen, of course. However they are cheap and easy to make. Resistor wire can be bought or salvaged from a discarded hair dryer or electric clothes dryer/electric room air heater. By having a long coil, with several taps along its length, you can have a variable amount of braking. I haven't made one, so exercise caution and research it first.

"Brake Therapy" makes a $150 kit to add disc brakes to the rear of a V-brake bike.
attachment.php

Somewhere around here is a link to a $40 flange that can be welded onto the frame so you can add discs.

sk8norcal said:
(it says for sale on craigslist in Chico)
http://forums.mtbr.com/cargo-bikes/post-pics-your-cargo-bike-580747-3.html

CargoBen2.jpg

Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
I've been looking at these for a while, and I really like the Big Dummy for carting the kids and doing grocery/farmer's market runs. I recently saw this guy building a cargo bike and selling them on Craigslist locally. Looks like he elevated the deck so the chain doesn't run through it (duh). I don't know...the guy wears crocs so he may not be trustworthy.

http://chico.craigslist.org/bik/2140162838.html

Very Cool, and possibly buildworthy.

I'm always surprised how cheap I see old tandems go for on craigslist. Even easier than the DIY xtras using rear supension arms. Just fit your cargo deck over where the rear seat used to be. Maybe hang some panniers if you want.

hi all.i have a surly big dummy with jasons E-bike kit 2807 ddhub motor and 36volt sla batts.rear hub as i prefer the push rather than the pull from a front hub.run big apple tires.love the bike and use it for recreation and hauling stuff from home depot and various other stores,will go 25-27mph with brisk pedaling.do not think i will ever sell it because it is so useful and rides like a dream.i would encourage anyone who is thinking of buying one to do it.you will not be dissapointed.next project is going to be switching to 48 volts.peace out and feel free to ask any questions.

Here's my first post about Mundo....

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15037

Since then, I've added new battery box, (Pelican Case) with nice connectors.

A heavy duty deployable kick-stand, depoys with a hand brake lever. my son, almost 5 years old, can climb on the bike with no worries. It's copied after the rolling jackass stand.

And the trailer with a center hitch, (side axle hitch wouldn't work on a Mundo)
I got the fittings/wheels from Wike and fabricated the rest myself. Inside dimensions are 2' X 4'

Attachments

• IMG_8916.JPG
    IMG_8916.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 10,578
  • IMG_8917.JPG
    IMG_8917.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 10,577
  • IMG_9226.jpg
    IMG_9226.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 10,577
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 10,578
vanilla ice said:
I'm always surprised how cheap I see old tandems go for on craigslist. Even easier than the DIY xtras using rear supension arms. Just fit your cargo deck over where the rear seat used to be. Maybe hang some panniers if you want.

+1 And you have a factory jackshaft that used to be the rear bottom bracket.

I'm a proud DIYer but I gotta admit I'm not averse to splurging on a factory longtail.

<B<B<B<B<B<B<B I'm not even sure why long bikes appeal to me.

And I love station wagon cars...

people are strange... 8) 8) 8)

dbinsightlongright (Small).jpgdbinsightlongleft (Small).jpgHi,

I've been commuting with this via human power only for the last few months. I just haven't had time to workup the electric drive yet.

DiamondBack Insight 700c with freeradical
rear wheel 26" with Sturmey 3spd internal gears (single 16tooth srocket)
Schlumphf(?) High Speed Drive front drive
Thudbuster

Pros:
Light - about 38 lbs
Gets the stuff I carry daily off my back
I can haul my motorcycle parts from the post office
Marathon tires

Cons:
I didn't like the 'bag/panniers' Too much weight to carry around for nothing. Plus, when you put something in the bag it often bulges into the wheel.
OEM front fork is rim brake only. I don't want a suspension fork as it will add more weight for not much comfort

I've hauled 70 lbs so far with no issues.

I plan to add just an electric assist (most likely a single stage reduction using the GEBE drive belts and pulleys. I have thought about just remounting the GEBE ICE to it but then I'm back to hauling 14lbs around. My commute is 12 miles a day.

Triton

Mundo said:
Since then, I've added new battery box, (Pelican Case) with nice connectors.

Kudos to fellow believer in front-mounted batteries! I've been mounting Pelican cases to the forks on my last few builds, it is by far my favorite spot to put the weight, I think it supplies the best handling. The rest of your build rocks too, that is a heavy duty mover!

-JD

I was poking around this weekend on the Mundo website, seriously discounted their frame prices. Limited time.....

http://yubaride.com/yubashop/product.php?id_product=69

Mundo Cargo Bike v4.0 frame
Price lowered!
$399.20 tax incl.

(price reduced by 20 %)

Availability: SPECIAL 20% OFF UNTIL OCT 4th

http://yubaride.com/yubashop/product.php?id_product=18

Mundo Cargo Bike v3.0 frame

Price lowered!
$287.50 tax incl.
(price reduced by 50 %)

I've been wanting one for a while and couldn't pass up on the price, I grabed the last v3.0 frame. Should be a fun build, I'm thinking about a front wheel motor to help keep some weight off the rear.

Yeah, two motors sounds like fun but I have to show some restraint. I don't think my wife can get too mad at me seeming how the price of the frame is less than her monthly car payment and insurance. And since I already have a good battery and some extra parts laying around the rest of the build shouldn't cost to much.

Back